News   May 03, 2024
 960     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 591     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 283     0 

TransPod Hyperloop

regardless this will be a vanity project that will
only benefit the elite who can afford to pay for a service that projects less than 500pph...

Guarantee you this will never get built. The only place they can ever afford to build this are places that sparsely populated, have tons of capital and government can easily seize land. Now you know why the Emirates is onboard.

Qatar can build it as well for the 2022 FIFA World Cup.

The only place that can build this, is one willing to tolerate a lot of casualties at launch. And that's if they even work the tech out. So maybe China. Nowhere else is this thing going to be mature enough to build in the next decade at least. People really don't get the technological issues involved. And that's before we get into the economics which all but rules this out in our lifetimes anyway.

All the Hyperloop teams are focused on building the pods. But the pods really aren't the challenge. It's the tube infrastructure that's the real problem. This is the largest vacuum tube in the world:

https://home.cern/about/engineering/vacuum-empty-interstellar-space

The largest vacuum system in the world

With a total of 104 kilometres of piping under vacuum, the vacuum system of the LHC is among the largest in the world. The insulating vacuum, equivalent to some 10-6mbar, is made up of an impressive 50 km of piping, with a combined volume of 15,000 cubic metres, more than enough to fill the nave of a cathedral. Building this vacuum system required more than 250,000 welded joints and 18,000 vacuum seals. The remaining 54 km of pipes under vacuum are the beam pipes, through which the LHC's two beams travel. The pressure in these pipes is in the order of 10-10 to 10-11 mbar, a vacuum almost as rarefied as that found on the surface of the Moon. The LHC’s vacuum systems are fitted with 170 Bayard-Alpert ionisation gauges and 1084 Pirani and Penning gauges to monitor the vacuum pressure.

Hyperloop needs several times the diameter (actually two orders of magnitude more) and for most of the proposed corridors, much longer length. I'm not sure that even near-vacuum is sufficient. As you reduce air density, Mach numbers rise for the same absolute velocity. They'd end up reducing engineering on the tunnel and then massively increasing engineering on the pods as all pods now require engineering for hypersonic flight essentially.

Can it be done? Sure. But none of the Hyperloop teams are actually working on this. At least none that I've seen. They all show nice videos of pod testing. Because nobody gets excited over the fact that you managed to maintain vacuum over several miles while inserting and removing vehicles.

All the Hyperloop teams are focused on building the pods. But the pods really aren't the challenge. It's the tube infrastructure that's the real problem. This is the largest vacuum tube in the world:

https://home.cern/about/engineering/vacuum-empty-interstellar-space

Hyperloop needs several times the diameter (actually two orders of magnitude more) and for most of the proposed corridors, much longer length. I'm not sure that even near-vacuum is sufficient. As you reduce air density, Mach numbers rise for the same absolute velocity. They'd end up reducing engineering on the tunnel and then massively increasing engineering on the pods as all pods now require engineering for hypersonic flight essentially.

Can it be done? Sure. But none of the Hyperloop teams are actually working on this. At least none that I've seen. They all show nice videos of pod testing. Because nobody gets excited over the fact that you managed to maintain vacuum over several miles while inserting and removing vehicles.

To be fair they won't need anything like LHC beamline level of vacuum - and the system as proposed requires some air to work. They can probably get by with just turbomolecular pumps. Still not easy, but at least won't require crazy exotic seals and cryogenics.

AoD

To be fair they won't need anything like LHC beamline level of vacuum - and the system as proposed requires some air to work. They can probably get by with just turbomolecular pumps. Still not easy, but at least won't require crazy exotic seals and cryogenics.

AoD

Actually, we're not sure what they'll need to build a vacuum tube that large, because nobody is actually working on it!

It also seems kind of crazy if the intent is that the individual lines won't have multiple seals along the route, to prevent a tube failure from flooding the entire line. That said, it may be less catastrophic to have a supersonic capsule smash into some in-rushing air than it would be to smash into a seal.

That said, it may be less catastrophic to have a supersonic capsule smash into some in-rushing air than it would be to smash into a seal.

No. Equally catastrophic. And they aren't designing their pods for supersonic flight. They are designing them to operate in a vacuum. That means the normal shock that forms from air rushing in will be substantially more damaging when it hits. There are going to be Prandtl-Meyer expansion fans forming off every protrusion and those will be reflecting off the tube walls and back onto the pod.

I don't know enough about the physics of these kind of situations, but I wonder how rapid a change in air density would be required for there to be catastrophic loss. In other words, would a small leak be sufficient to take out a capsule, or would it require a much larger hole to actually destroy a capsule as opposed to slow it down due to friction? Compared to, say, high speed rail, are the failure modes for Hyperloop that much worse, or easier to produce? I don't know how difficult it would be to derail a high speed train -- would throwing some rebar across the track be sufficient?

I don't know enough about the physics of these kind of situations, but I wonder how rapid a change in air density would be required for there to be catastrophic loss. In other words, would a small leak be sufficient to take out a capsule, or would it require a much larger hole to actually destroy a capsule as opposed to slow it down due to friction? Compared to, say, high speed rail, are the failure modes for Hyperloop that much worse, or easier to produce? I don't know how difficult it would be to derail a high speed train -- would throwing some rebar across the track be sufficient?

I would argue the failure modes would be substantially worse. Because of the confined space involved. If the pods are displaced in any way, they'll make contact with the tube walls.

Also, when you have the vacuum pressures involved any leak not occurring at the seal will probably lead to a rupture and more than likely explosive recompression. The air would rush in at near sonic speeds. If there's a pod heading in the opposite direction at very high velocity, the shock it experiences from the air will not just be supersonic, we'll have to discuss hypersonic aerodynamics. It's akin to hitting a wall if not properly managed.

Brace yourselves. Transpod says their hyperloop will cost almost half that of the Province's HSR, be ready by 2025, and cost less than an airline ticket.

67683643_85e6cb610b.jpg

Brace yourselves. Transpod says their hyperloop will cost almost half that of the Province's HSR, be ready by 2025, and cost less than an airline ticket.

They can say many things. But submitting an actual proposal with those numbers in contractable terms is another matter entirely.

Moreover, if their proposals are that financially attractive, why do they need government funding? Oh that's right, private investors see right through their bullshit.

They can say many things. But submitting an actual proposal with those numbers in contractable terms is another matter entirely.

Moreover, if their proposals are that financially attractive, why do they need government funding? Oh that's right, private investors see right through their bullshit.
Not sure you got the reference. Google (and watch) "Marge vs. the Monorail"... ;)

67683643_85e6cb610b.jpg
Simpsons did it.

Unproven tech, elevated instead of at grade over hundreds of km, needing a large tube instead of two rails, and enough power to maintain a near vaccuum.

Nope, not buying it.

The tech may work out. But cheaper than HSR? No way. Mag lev, maybe.

They are building Maglev in a tube. I can't understand how that would end up cheaper than Maglev itself.

I think they are trying to argue that the land acquisition cost will offset the cost of the build. Of course they also assume they can dump all this dirt somewhere for free? Let's ignore any issues with the environment by infilling Lake Ontario.

Back