News   May 10, 2024
 1.7K     2 
News   May 10, 2024
 2.8K     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 1.3K     0 

Transit Fantasy Maps

There are some very steep grades along Dufferin and I'm not sure that our LRVs can make them. And then there's the political opposition from our mayor RoFo. But putting those aside, it looks like a great idea.
I am not sure about the feasibility of installing cable on the bottom of the Flexities if it were to run along Dufferin (Dufferin between Eglinton and Dupont is almost like San Francisco).

I am not sure about the feasibility of installing cable on the bottom of the Flexities if it were to run along Dufferin (Dufferin between Eglinton and Dupont is almost like San Francisco).

I can tell you that the TTC probably won't like that.

I think the best thing for this route would be BRT. If it weren't for the technical issues I'd support the streetcars.

I can tell you that the TTC probably won't like that.

I think the best thing for this route would be BRT. If it weren't for the technical issues I'd support the streetcars.

I don't think dufferin is wide enough for BRT. Without dedicated lanes, BRT would be pointless and not much better than the current buses.

not really, the chances of the UPX being converted to subway are literally 0.

TigerMaster said:
I can perhaps see a subway up to Mt. Dennis if the corridor is widened (should be an easy job). There's no way ML is handing their baby over to the TTC.

I don't think it's that unlikely. DRL probably 'ought to be a ML/Provincial project to begin with as it is undeniably 'regional' in scope. If undertaken, it would be the most complex infrastructure project in Toronto history and would need extensive funding from the Province.

Once UPE posts some years of minuscule ridership and ML starts talking about closing stations like Weston since they don't make sense as currently planned, there could be political points to be scored by transferring UPE's underutilized assets to a DRL.

There are some very steep grades along Dufferin and I'm not sure that our LRVs can make them. And then there's the political opposition from our mayor RoFo. But putting those aside, it looks like a great idea.

I'm having second thoughts. I think there's a possiblitt that the streetcars could work on Dufferin. They have no problem going up the hills on Bathurst to get to Hillcrest Yard. However there is still a REALLY steep (but short) section of Dufferin just south of Eglinton. We may need to "flatten" that section of road of we want streetcars there.

I don't think it's that unlikely. DRL probably 'ought to be a ML/Provincial project to begin with as it is undeniably 'regional' in scope. If undertaken, it would be the most complex infrastructure project in Toronto history and would need extensive funding from the Province.

Once UPE posts some years of minuscule ridership and ML starts talking about closing stations like Weston since they don't make sense as currently planned, there could be political points to be scored by transferring UPE's underutilized assets to a DRL.

But its not that simple. literally the only thing that could be kept for a subway conversion would be the new guideway to the airport terminal. Subways can't use freight tracks, they can't switch over multiple tracks to reach the platform at union, can't fit on existing platforms, the existing trains can't be used due to their short length, luxury interior, TTC can't / shouldn't start dealing with mixed rail, the list goes on and on. the UPX really is incompatible with the TTC in essentially every way.

What our subway network could have looked like TODAY had the pace of construction continued after 1980 as it had been before. From 1963-1980, Toronto averaged 2.7km of subway construction annually. If that pace had continued to 2013, our network could have looked like this. (this is actually very accurate, I had .2km of "buildable" subway left over after finishing measuring out all these extensions)

MzBJvYi.jpg

The first few years of the 1980's produced a few kilometres (6) of rapid transit, but it really does shows that a lack of subway construction is the cause of much of Torontos problems.

I sure would take that map if we could have it.

Luckily, we have finally returned to that pace until 2023. (if you include the underground portion of the Eglinton LRT, which for all intents and purposes is a subway) 27km of Subway in 10 years! (2013-2023) Now of course you could start the clock even later at the first opening date, (which is what I did for my previous average) and you get 3.9km per year average, over 7 years. If you take the last 27 years before 2023 like I did for 1980, you average just 1.2km a year. sad really. The average for 1980-2016 will have been just 0.2km of subway annually, or o.4 with the RT included. (which it probably shouldn't be considering it is being replaced)

Last edited:
Luckily, we have finally returned to that pace until 2023. (if you include the underground portion of the Eglinton LRT, which for all intents and purposes is a subway) 27km of Subway in 10 years! (2013-2023) Now of course you could start the clock even later at the first opening date, (which is what I did for my previous average) and you get 3.9km per year average, over 7 years. If you take the last 27 years before 2023 like I did for 1980, you average just 1.2km a year. sad really. The average for 1980-2016 will have been just 0.2km of subway annually, or o.4 with the RT included. (which it probably shouldn't be considering it is being replaced)

Will Phase two of the Eglinton LRT be faster? I think Finch and Sheppard will take under 3 years assuming everything goes off without a hitch.

Back