News   May 01, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   May 01, 2024
 307     0 
News   May 01, 2024
 351     0 

Transit Fantasy Maps

I think his plan is to have it run through cityplace along fort york / bremner.

I love your map Gweed, but I can't get over splitting the spadina and yonge lines. the cost to just split them would be astronomical. (I'm thinking upwards of $500 million just to split it, yet alone the extension)

Updated version of my transit plan:

View attachment 10077

I agree with pretty much everything you have there, including both the alignments and the choice of technology. My only addition would be an MCC-REX along the Milton sub.

One other very minor comment: I think that a Jane LRT would benefit from just turning east at Shoreham Drive and going to BCPV station via Ian MacDonald drive rather than hanging a sharp right at Steeles. The Steeles intersection would require major work since it is already a bridge over Black Creek and I don't think LRVs could make the turning radius. Plus, there's quite a bit of redevelopment potential on the west side of the York campus.

Last edited:
I agree with pretty much everything you have there, including both the alignments and the choice of technology. My only addition would be an MCC-REX along the Milton sub.

I agree with that. Only problem though is that is heavily dependent on the electrification of the Milton line. That, and any GO REX line to MCC would need to involve a tunnel (either a spur tunnel or a realignment tunnel), which would be quite expensive. I'd much rather see that money spent on electrifying the Milton line first. Overall, my priorities for REX would be this:

1) Lakeshore West + East
2) Brampton-Markham
3) Milton
4) Midtown with spur to MCC
5) Barrie + Richmond Hill (very long-term)

I suppose I could add the Milton and Midtown GO REX lines in as dashed lines. Only question is where does the Midtown terminate? Malvern? Pickering? I've seen a few different alignments for it in the eastern end of the GTA. As for the MCC connection, I'm partial to a spur myself (Midtown uses the spur while the Milton line keeps going), but I'm not 100% set on that.

I like it.

I've had an idea regarding Don Mills north of Eglinton, spurned from my new found fondness for branching street level LRT from a grade-separated trunk line - like the Green Lines in Boston and Philadelphia. In this case we'd have an in-median LRT along Don Mills between Sheppard and Eglinton, which in itself would be a branch of the Crosstown. I don't know the ridership levels that this DMLRT would have, but perhaps 1 in 3 eastbound and westbound trains on Eglinton short-turn up Don Mills. Or these short turns could coincide with daily ridership changes.

The result would be a fairly good Yonge Relief, and a key hub at Don Mills (South) Station along Eglinton, the northern terminus for the DRL. By diverting money from the FWLRT and SELRT, the eastern section of the Crosstown could be elevated and fully grade-separated. If this could be done on the cheap, perhaps the leftovers would fund the DMLRT.

I'd have it terminate as GO REX in seaton. just farmers fields now, but that area is set to explode in the next decade. you could have an actual commuter line run out to Peterborough as well.

I like it.

I've had an idea regarding Don Mills north of Eglinton, spurned from my new found fondness for branching street level LRT from a grade-separated trunk line - like the Green Lines in Boston and Philadelphia. In this case we'd have an in-median LRT along Don Mills between Sheppard and Eglinton, which in itself would be a branch of the Crosstown. I don't know the ridership levels that this DMLRT would have, but perhaps 1 in 3 eastbound and westbound trains on Eglinton short-turn up Don Mills. Or these short turns could coincide with daily ridership changes.

The result would be a fairly good Yonge Relief, and a key hub at Don Mills (South) Station along Eglinton, the northern terminus for the DRL. By diverting money from the FWLRT and SELRT, the eastern section of the Crosstown could be elevated and fully grade-separated. If this could be done on the cheap, perhaps the leftovers would fund the DMLRT.

I've always liked that idea. As a medium-term plan, I think it makes a lot of sense. My primary goal with this map is to show cost-effective transit options. Don Mills as a BRT probably best fits that category, because most of the lanes are already there. All that's needed is some paint, some new traffic signals, some articulated buses, and some better stations. Point being, it would cost basically nothing (other than vehicles) to turn it into a pretty decent BRT. If the ridership does prove to be too much, at-grade LRT in the form of a branch of the ESLRT can be a very viable option.

One thing I think needs to happen though is that the Don Mills LRT would need to be built at the same time as the Jane LRT (both only north of Eglinton), in order to provide a 'pair' on either end of the tunnelled section. The ridership volumes would be roughly equal, so you can run trains from Don Mills Station up to Steeles West Station via Don Mills, Eglinton, and then Jane.

I'd have it terminate as GO REX in seaton. just farmers fields now, but that area is set to explode in the next decade. you could have an actual commuter line run out to Peterborough as well.

Good call. I did a project in 3rd year on Seaton. It's going to be a pretty major development.

in his defence, it is urban TORONTO, not urban MISSISUAGA. Gweed (like me) is probably much more familiar with toronto, so he focuses his efforts there. but yes, I feel peel needs more transit than what is featured in Gweeds map. perhaps a Burhamthrope BRT.

Another map that ignores Mississauga, but I'm pretty used to that.

If it makes you any better, I'm working on a full GTHA system map, which shows rapid transit everywhere. The map that I posted above is just the Toronto part of it. Far from finished, but here's the work in progress. Hopefully it satisfies your Mississauga desires :p (although I haven't 'stationed out' the Hurontario LRT yet).

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/43869799/GTASystemMap.pdf

Last edited:
on your GTA wide map, is the 407 transitway orange? green? or is it even included?

Orange. The green is the Highway 7 BRT. I haven't finished labelling stuff up there yet, so it may be hard to make out. I still need to do most of York Region, Durham Region, the Hurontario LRT in Peel, the Jane and Don Mills BRTs in Toronto, and a Waterdown LRT connection in Hamilton.

I just posted it to show I'm not as Toronto-centric as I appear :p.

If it makes you any better, I'm working on a full GTHA system map, which shows rapid transit everywhere. The map that I posted above is just the Toronto part of it. Far from finished, but here's the work in progress. Hopefully it satisfies your Mississauga desires :p (although I haven't 'stationed out' the Hurontario LRT yet).

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/43869799/GTASystemMap.pdf

This map doesn't even show a Bloor extension to Sherway, never mind to MCC, so I'm not sure how it satisfies any Mississaugan desires???

Then you've got a Dundas LRT or BRT I'm not sure which along Dundas West which is completely unwarranted and way too low-density to support it. It makes no sense to be honest.

This map doesn't even show a Bloor extension to Sherway, never mind to MCC, so I'm not sure how it satisfies any Mississaugan desires???

Then you've got a Dundas LRT or BRT I'm not sure which along Dundas West which is completely unwarranted and way too low-density to support it. It makes no sense to be honest.

Huh? So a subway to MCC via Dundas is warranted, but a BRT along the corridor isn't? How does that make any sense at all?

The Bloor extension to Sherway I did miss though, but I don't think B-D should go any further west than that. I also haven't added the Midtown GO REX yet.

Dundas West and Dundas East are very different corridors. Dundas West only has 1/2 or 1/3 the ridership compared to Dundas East, and very little development potential as well.

I think people underestimate the transit ridership of Dundas a lot, east of Hurontario especially. Not just with these fantasy proposals, but also the City and MT and Metrolinx also. They don't seem to realize the huge amount of transit riders that are being carried through this corridor and the potential it has for higher order transit. During peak hours, the corridor already sees service at 4.5 minute frequency, half of the buses articulated, how much more ridership can you really expect with BRT? And that's before you take into account those 20 or so bus routes along Dundas in Etobicoke. It needs to be LRT or subway, Metrolinx is pushing for BRT, such a waste.

Last edited:

Back