955     1 

Transit City Plan

Which transit plan do you prefer?

• Transit City

Votes: 95 79.2%
  • Ford City

Votes: 25 20.8%

• Total voters
so does that mean you are ok with the 1.2 billion dollar figure to get the lrt to bloor? Should the lrt randomly end at Eglinton? theres a 700 million dollar difference in cost and if you add every corridor such as keele dufferin pape you are simply multiplying the costs. Maybe the lines should end at Eglinton, but I always thought network connectivity and less transfers was vital to a proper transit network. I also cant see any of these areas houses ever becoming affluent if the areas are never serviced by transit. Lets face facts most people dont want their houses faces main streets. Combine that with no transit and you have a problem. Personally I like to fix problems. BTW paying the people properly for their houses isnt the same as kicking them out of their houses.

I would be on board with such a move only if the Jane LRT was extended down South Kingsway to Lakeshore. I don't like the idea of bulldozing poor neighbourhoods "for the greater good" while leaving wealthy neighbourhoods intact.

I am ok with that. Again as long as someone is compensated for their house at market value maybe plus a little extra incentive I dont see how this is wrong. Network connectivity and the elimination of transfers is what matters. The only problem with your suggestion is that if the house values south of bloor to lakeshore are 1 million plus and the cost becomes similar to tunnelling then again I would be forced to side with the least expensive option.

well isnt this the problem. We are in need of radical transit change but so many options get thrown out. Elevated LRT would work on these streets but I assume that elevated would get shot down as well. Therefore nothing happens. Its great that north of Eglinton the roads are wide enough to fit ROWs but what happens between Eglinton and bloor or Bloor and the lake. Would it be crazy to suggest then that the street car network should be extended to go north to Eglinton and everything north of Eglinton would be LRT? Can we build street car lines? Or is it LRT , Subway and possibly BRT or bust.

I am ok with that. Again as long as someone is compensated for their house at market value maybe plus a little extra incentive I dont see how this is wrong. Network connectivity and the elimination of transfers is what matters.

You're talking about forcing hundreds of people out of their homes and literally destroying entire communities and you don't see the problem with that? These people's lives have value beyond the cost of their fucking house.

This obsession people have with eliminating transfers on this forum borders on insanity. You would think from reading some of these threads that having to change trains once in a while is some kind of dystopian nightmare scenario.

You're talking about forcing hundreds of people out of their homes and literally destroying entire communities and you don't see the problem with that? These people's lives have value beyond the cost of their fucking house.

This obsession people have with eliminating transfers on this forum borders on insanity. You would think from reading some of these threads that having to change trains once in a while is some kind of dystopian nightmare scenario.

give me a break, people move all the time. Plus the community that has formed at least on this bit of jane is less then desirable. Its not only about eliminating transfers. I dont care personally so much if i have to transfer. But there are a ton of people who simply dirve if they have to transfer often. I dont agree with lots of what Chong reported on the sheppard subway but i do agree that he found that everytime theres a transfer you lose 25% of potential riders. This city is going quickly into traffic armageddon and you are chosing to minimize the impact that the city faces with a inadequate system. So in total I am suggesting taking over 1000 houses to have 3 continuous routes which would encourage mid size density walkable neighbourhoods and transit use and you are making it sound like I am destroying the entire city. you do realize there are millions of people in Toronto. BTW im open again to elevated LRT on routes like JANE but again I am sure some people on here are going to make it sound like that will destroy neighbourhoods. The bottom line is nothing will ever make everyone completely happy but that doesnt mean there arent benefits of some things for the majority of the city. I live at bathurst and eglinton and people in my neighbourhood will never take transit because they all can afford to drive and have been and are objecting the eglinton LRT. Apparently it will be too much traffic chaos for them. Is that a reason to not build a LRT. WHat about sheppard? There are all sorts of people over there not happy that they are getting a LRT. Should we not build anything over there?

OK lets pretend they got twice the value. SO it now costs the city 250 million to buy the property. Would you sell your property to the city if you got twice its value? I would and theres no way I would be upset.

OK forget the Jane LRT... Lets make a Keele LRT that can connect to a DRL which will go through dundas west and up to pape to don mills. Then at don mills LRT to steeles... No houses need to be taken over.

Keele is narrow south of Eglinton. In addition, it has jogs both at St Clair and at Eglinton, and that makes it a challenging LRT route.

Actually I would consider a mixed-traffic LRT on Dufferin, but under one condition: prohibiting left turns from Dufferin at all times. Left turns from Dufferin are already prohibited at many intersections during the peak hours, and at Dufferin / Eglinton they are prohibited at all times.

North of Eglinton (actually, north of the Belt Line bridge), Dufferin is wide enough for 4 traffic lanes + 2 dedicated LRT lines. Eglinton to the Exhibition gate, it would be just 4 lanes and the LRT would be slow, but it might be OK for this particular route, given its high rider turnover, and the fact that most of long-haul riders are likely using Spadina subway instead of Dufferin. At least, the larger LRTs would replace the swarms of buses that currently serve Dufferin.

However, if prohibiting left turns from Dufferin is not politically feasible, then there is no point building Dufferin LRT (with left turns, LRT bunching will be severe, and the service quality will deteriorate compared to today's buses).

Back