1.1K     1 

Transit City Plan

Which transit plan do you prefer?

• Transit City

Votes: 95 79.2%
  • Ford City

Votes: 25 20.8%

• Total voters
Are you mixing Sheppard with maybe Wilson Ave? Avenue Rd does not cross Sheppard.

I don't mean Avenue Road. I was getting confused. It Easton Rd, its a few stops west of Yonge on the north side of Sheppard. From Bathurst to Easton, Earl Bales surrounds Sheppard (take a look on google maps), You will not be able to build anything in that stretch

A 2km walk would cause most people to drive. How many people walk 2km to get to their local GO station?

In the urban parts of many GO lines they seem to have stations about 2km apart. Do they publish numbers about how people get to their station and where they came from (distance travelled to get there?).
I cannot believe walking 15-20 min is too much and would cause people to drive. Thats seems unreal to me. I did it for 11 years morning and then again at night and could have taken the car to park at Yorkdale but did not.

2km is nothing... if the conditions are nice enough. But who'd walk that far in the rain, or below zero temperatures? And what about the elderly? Variables need to be considered here.

Last edited:
Whats the difference between surface and at grade?

Surface (to me anyway) just means that it's not running in a tunnel or elevated. It doesn't exclude the possibility of ducking under intersections, or being partially depressed in-median. The Bloor-Danforth line from Vic Park to Warden is technically surface, but it's completely grade separated.

At-grade to me means running at-grade the entire time, with no grade separation at all.

Minor difference in terminology, but could have a huge impact on how the line is designed.

I caught the last few minutes of it,

They will be doing one of their community walks this Saturday at the Agincourt Mall (Kennedy and Sheppard), not surprising on the location. No doubt they will be claiming a plethora of taxpayers came up to them and demanded subways.

I don't see the point of "asking the people in scarborough what they want".
If you walk about and ask if they would like to take the subway for free, they would like it too. People in North Bay wants a subway as well, should they get that?
Plus, you can't just ask the folks in Scarborough. You need to ask everyone, since the money will come from everyone's tax, not just scarborough residents.

Maybe Scarborough and Etobicoke should just leave Toronto and become their own cities, since the interests can't be aligned. Toronto will be better managed with just Old TO, North York, York and East York.

I cannot believe walking 15-20 min is too much and would cause people to drive. Thats seems unreal to me. I did it for 11 years morning and then again at night and could have taken the car to park at Yorkdale but did not.

I'm not even sure it is the walk so much as the time involved. You've got a car that is 15 seconds from the front door or a 20 minute walk to catch the train. The large majority of people will drive (see Liberty Village despite being 10 minutes from both Queens Quay and the King line).

Most people drive when it is a 5 minute walk.

Anyway, on a line like Finch, where a large portion of ridership does not involve any transfers (their source and destination are both near Finch); a 2km walk could become an 8km round trip hike.

2km to a station, 2km from a station to work, 2km back to a station from work, and 2km home. Very very few people will put in over an hour on foot every day for their commute.

Last edited:

Was it uphill in both directions?

hello guys. wondering if could get answers to the following questions so that i can better answer questions from colleagues about this topic. i've tried to look back through the threads, but its been difficult:
a. original breakdown of funding for transit city projects going ahead in may 2010 after mcguinty delayed $4 billion in funding
b. new breakdown of funding under the stinz proposal passed by council
c. alignment and connectivity with eglinton or sheppard of the scarborough rt conversion (in the ford to be part of the crosstown, now not sure how it will run)
thanks again!

"If the Province wants to take over, let them take over. I'd be the first one to give them the TTC and say 'you can run it'." -Rob Ford

Ironically, this would probably be the single best thing he would ever accomplish as Mayor, even if it was done out of spite.

I don't see the point of "asking the people in scarborough what they want".
If you walk about and ask if they would like to take the subway for free, they would like it too. People in North Bay wants a subway as well, should they get that?
Plus, you can't just ask the folks in Scarborough. You need to ask everyone, since the money will come from everyone's tax, not just scarborough residents.

Maybe Scarborough and Etobicoke should just leave Toronto and become their own cities, since the interests can't be aligned. Toronto will be better managed with just Old TO, North York, York and East York.

You DO realize that the split-up of municipalities into smaller ones, which you believe should happen, is the exact reason why many cities in the U.S. are fragmented and don't take into account the regional benefits or effects that occur, when they construct something. It's one of the positive advantages/ benefits of amalgamation that have been seen. Other benefits that have occurred are: better efficiency, and a larger tax base to maintain infrastructure (which is kind of contradictory to what you believe).

You DO realize that the split-up of municipalities into smaller ones, which you believe should happen, is the exact reason why many cities in the U.S. are fragmented and don't take into account the regional benefits or effects that occur, when they construct something. It's one of the positive advantages/ benefits of amalgamation that have been seen. Other benefits that have occurred are: better efficiency, and a larger tax base to maintain infrastructure (which is kind of contradictory to what you believe).

I think there are pros and cons.
Two cities shouldn't become one if they have fundamentally different views about how a city should be run. If one is very liberal and urban minded and the other is extremely suburban minded, the resulting conflict and loss and efficiency will likely overweigh the benefit. It is like Obama and Sara Palin shouldn't marry each other just because they can save money as a couple.

Speaking of larger tax base, it might be true. However, without scarb and etobicoke, we cans imply focus on a much smaller and denser area and don't have to built subways to Siberia in the first place. It might save a lot of money.

The City of San Francisco and Boston are good examples of not amalgating surrounding cities. They are similar in population than Mississauga yet are still great cities to live in.

"If the Province wants to take over, let them take over. I'd be the first one to give them the TTC and say 'you can run it'." -Rob Ford

Ironically, this would probably be the single best thing he would ever accomplish as Mayor, even if it was done out of spite.

I agree.
I think nothing can be worse than how TTC is run at present. Let it be privatized, or taken over by the Province. Anything is better.

I agree.
I think nothing can be worse than how TTC is run at present. Let it be privatized
Because everyone likes, say, the private telecom services. And a private TTC would be even better, because it would have no direct competition! You know, just like the 407!

or taken over by the Province.
Because they did such a stellar job with e-Health...

The TTC may have its problems, but at least it is accountable to the city and thus to the voters. Privatization or provincial takeover are not necessarily panaceas.

I agree.
I think nothing can be worse than how TTC is run at present. Let it be privatized, or taken over by the Province. Anything is better.

You're absolutely right. All that efficiency is nauseating, and fact that no one is sucking a profit out and none of the execs make private sector salaries is shameful. We definitely need a transit system that does more gouging and profit taking, and less transit service providing. I hear that Chris Mazza guy is unemployed. Maybe he can take it over and implement some of his wonderful private sector monopoly ideas.

I agree.

i think the bigger problem is that expansion always becomes a political issue and plans keep being reworked instead of just building something. as frusterated as i am sometimes with the ttc service i come to grips that it is underfunded by both the provincial and federal government. they province especially is more concerned with the 905 commuter then the 416 commuter. as a result it would seem that allowing the province to run the ttc would just make matters nutreal or worse. we need more funding not a takeover.

Back