1.2K     1 

Transit City Plan

Which transit plan do you prefer?

• Transit City

Votes: 95 79.2%
  • Ford City

Votes: 25 20.8%

• Total voters
no idea but I think Im a pretty observant person. But on the 84 and the 108 I rarely experience this. actually I cant remember it. No idea why they offer it but then again why not.? when I was a teenager there was no stop beside my house and at night I use to ask the bus to let me off inbetween stops. That was 15 years ago, the service didnt exist, but I was never denied the stop from the bus drivers.

More good news for Transit City. According to CTV the 24 councillors who called for Wednesdays debate will ALL be voting in favour of "above ground lrt transit" (aka: Transit City). 24 is a majority of councillors in City Hall. Additionally there are more councillors who are on the fence that will probably vote for Transit City. It looks like a Transit City victory is in the bag and there is little Ford can do about it.

no idea but I think Im a pretty observant person. But on the 84 and the 108 I rarely experience this. actually I cant remember it. No idea why they offer it but then again why not.? when I was a teenager there was no stop beside my house and at night I use to ask the bus to let me off inbetween stops. That was 15 years ago, the service didnt exist, but I was never denied the stop from the bus drivers.

We should just scrap the program all together and tell drivers to use their judgement when someone asks to be let off the bus. If the person looks like their safety is legitimately in danger the driver should let them off. If not the driver should tell the person to take a seat and walk to their destination at the next stop.

I read a quote from Councillor Ron Moeser in a article last weekend stating that he would vote to build Eglinton on the surface if it meant that the Sheppard LRT resumes.

More good news for Transit City. According to CTV the 24 councillors who called for Wednesdays debate will ALL be voting in favour of "above ground lrt transit" (aka: Transit City). 24 is a majority of councillors in City Hall. Additionally there are more councillors who are on the fence that will probably vote for Transit City. It looks like a Transit City victory is in the bag and there is little Ford can do about it.
"above ground" can mean both at-grade AND elevated. I know it's wishful thinking, but we've seen these kind of things happened before. ;)

We should just scrap the program all together and tell drivers to use their judgement when someone asks to be let off the bus.
Because the current system is such a burden and being abused so heavily?

And you can be certain that drivers do not want the responsibility of telling a passenger that they can't get off, but someone else could a few stops back. The risk of altercations is just too high -- it is much more straightforward and safer to just let any single person off when they ask at night.

I read a quote from Councillor Ron Moeser in a article last weekend stating that he would vote to build Eglinton on the surface if it meant that the Sheppard LRT resumes.

Well tomorrows vote is for surface Eglinton, Sheppard and Finch LRT so it looks like Moeser will be voting for it. Tranist City will win tomorrow. We have 24 votes secured and it only takes 22 to have a majority. More councillors will probably end up voting for Transit City too.

Because the current system is such a burden and being abused so heavily?

And you can be certain that drivers do not want the responsibility of telling a passenger that they can't get off, but someone else could a few stops back. The risk of altercations is just too high -- it is much more straightforward and safer to just let any single person off when they ask at night.

Its not a burden. Its just unnecessary and 99.9% of the time the program is used illegitimate purposes by people too lazy to walk.

26 stops is surely less stops then what we will get with an above ground plan. 26 stops was based on how much money they had to allocate towards stations and it included some of the srt stations.

Pro Elevated LRT but also Pro RF spacing. cant we merge the two.

According to Joe Fiorito of the Toronto Star, he drew an excellent analogy between municipal politics and the Costa Concordia:

Joe Fiorito of the Toronto Star said:
Fiorito: Mayor Rob Ford is Toronto’s Schettino

The difference between disaster and the brink of disaster? It is not hard to figure out.
Let me also remind you that it is also a disaster to live on the brink of disaster all the time, and that is life in Toronto now.
We are the Costa Concordia of cities, sailing too close to the municipal rocks. I beg you to make the appropriate allowances for his lines — jaw, waist and hair — but Commodore Ford is our Schettino.
It gets worse.
On the HMS Toronto, Doug Holyday is our Captain Queeg. You see it the way he stiffens and bares his teeth any time anyone disagrees with him.
Holyday mutters about “jobs for life.†He has repeated this odious little lie so often that the weak-minded passengers on the lower decks have come think it must be true.
Here’s a little repetition:
No such thing as jobs for life. No such thing as jobs for life. No such thing as jobs for life.
There is seniority.
But in spite of the seemingly successful last-ditch negotiations over the weekend, we remain stuck between Scylla and Charybdis; make that Rob and Doug. And the lesser crew members of this ship of fools are not much better.
Giorgio Mammoliti, the pettiest of officers, is a nasty little red-baiter. Norm Kelly, a not-so-able seaman, thinks global warming might actually be good for trees.
A little nest of lubbers — John Parker, Cesar Palacio and Frances Nunziata, along with the aforementioned Kelly — sit on the board of the Toronto Community Housing Corporation; they are prepared to toss the poor overboard like so much jetsam.
I was never fond of Karen Stintz at the helm of public transit — I have seen her in action and had her pegged as brittle, humourless and ambitious — but I was pleasantly surprised when she tried to reverse the mayor’s course and rescue urban transit.
I have an image of her calling from the bridge: “Rocks off the starboard bow.†Her reward?
Ford keelhauled her.
But the Commodore and Captain Holyday do not waver. For months, they have kept the Costa Toronto in danger, betting that labour would blink; betting also that any disruption would be blamed on the union.
It was a lousy bet.
The last labour disruption in Toronto was wrongly blamed on the mayor, who got no credit for its successful resolution.
At the moment, our labour problems are the fault of the mayor, and he alone will wear the results of any disruptions in his term.
Okay, so if Rob Ford is our Schettino, what of his brother Doug? Call him Ahab and the great white whale rolled into one. Doug said, with his usual eloquence, that the TTC was in need of an enema.
What does Doug know of enemas? Has he had personal experience? Is this part of his weight-loss program? The people have a right to know.
In this instance, however, the people know all they need to know about Doug Ford. He is a foul-mouthed fellow who has nothing but contempt for the people who provide city services. If we had planks, I’d make him walk one.
These are difficult times?
Yes, and the construction cranes on the horizon stand out like the masts of ships at sea; our credit rating remains high; the price of real estate is solid; and the tax base is growing.
If there is peril ahead, we need Horatio Hornblower at the helm, or Mr. Roberts, or even Charlie Allnutt of the African Queen, who was heroic when it counted.
Fictional, alas.
Instead, we have our very own, all-too-real Schettino, and his bunch of little schettini.
We can’t abandon ship; perhaps it’s time to mutiny.

http://www.thestar.com/news/article/1126542--fiorito-mayor-rob-ford-is-toronto-s-schettino

Here is another Toronto Star article, this time from Royson James:

Royson James of the Toronto Star said:
James: Get all the experts — our transit future's on the line

In a city region stuck on the slow train to transit relief, Toronto has lost a full year spinning its wheels.
To their shame, city councillors watched for a year as Mayor Rob Ford contemptuously derailed the city’s transit plan without as much as a smidgen of consultation with them.
Ford smashed Transit City, a series of light rail lines bankrolled by the provincial government, and, instead, pursued pie-in-the-sky subway dreams that most now recognize as an unfunded nightmare.
He demanded the province bury the entire Eglinton light rail line, adding $1.7 billion to the original cost of $6.5 billion. As such, no money is left for rapid transit along Finch West or Sheppard East.
Ford’s rampage evoked little protest from Queen’s Park or Metrolinx, the provincial agency established to plan our transit future. In fact, it could be argued their silence emboldened the mayor’s ruinous year of destabilizing transit in Toronto.
Ford’s transit reversal could cost city taxpayers as much as $100 million in compensation for contracts already signed which have to be renegotiated. It has cost city politicians the respect and credibility of its commuting citizens.
Finally, a rebellion is stirring in the council ranks. The mayor has done enough damage. He should be stopped. And city council is poised to do just that on Wednesday at a specially-called meeting.
But, beware. Do you trust these guys and gals to plan our transit future on the fly? What’s the replacement to the mayor plan?
New city councillors should be shaking in their boots about now. Like you, they are confused and bewildered by the lack of forthright and trustworthy information on the transit file.
Imagine, last week, just when the TTC’s chief general manager was to release a report outlining the pros and cons of putting the Eglinton LRT above or below ground, politics pushed the mayor’s allies on the commission to reject such a report.
So, we don’t know how to weigh Metrolinx’s claims that a buried Eglinton line delivers 30 per cent more riders. Aren’t these riders diverted from the Bloor-Danforth line and crammed into Yonge-Eglinton, where no plan exists to accommodate them?
“This is a defining moment and I feel so unsettled about it,†says rookie Councillor Jaye Robinson. It’s become so politicized.â€
Robinson is on the mayor’s team; she has not swallowed the Kool-Aid. She wants facts; she gets the musings of Mark Towhey, the mayor’s policy wonk who is more partisan than the mayor himself, if that is conceivable. And who should she consult to get the other side? Councillor Joe Mihevc, hopelessly in love with Transit City?
She can’t listen to the mayor.
Ford told voters he can build the $4.7 billion Sheppard Subway line with no government money. He can’t. He hires a subway acolyte to prove him right. Gordon Chong tries and concludes it can’t be done without road tolls and other transportation taxes the mayor finds toxic. Still, feeding Ford’s desires, Chong goes through 177 tortuous pages to try and hide the fact that private sector dollars are not there to build a Sheppard subway.
So, now, Robinson is stuck, heading into a crucial vote on the future of transit in Toronto — with no report from the transit experts, a muted TTC, and a chair of the TTC who the mayor considers a traitor, to be sacked.
Stop Ford’s plan, yes. But take a month to gather all the reports. Summon the transit experts to the floor of council. Listen to their counsel. Only then, pursue the vision that’s funded, reflects best practices and best serves all Torontonians.

http://www.thestar.com/news/article...-the-experts-our-transit-future-s-on-the-line

Yes, there is still mainly right-wing vitriol spewed in the comments section of these articles, which is to be expected.

Well tomorrows vote is for surface Eglinton, Sheppard and Finch LRT so it looks like Moeser will be voting for it. Tranist City will win tomorrow. We have 24 votes secured and it only takes 22 to have a majority. More councillors will probably end up voting for Transit City too.
Actually, since there are 44 city councillors and the mayor counts as a vote, the magic number is 23. 24 is one more than enough for Transit City to win, though Team Transit City needs the help from fence-sitters as well.

According to Joe Fiorito of the Toronto Star, he drew an excellent analogy between municipal politics and the Costa Concordia:

Here is another Toronto Star article, this time from Royson James:

Yes, there is still mainly right-wing vitriol spewed in the comments section of these articles, which is to be expected.

What I DISLIKE, HATE, LOATH about James is that when Miller was mayor he was practically ready to crucify him especially regarding transit. Now hes got Ford and hes doing the exact same thing. Except now hes claiming the MILLER plan was better. When Miller was mayor all the same stats were there to support TC but because it was a MILLER project it had to be bad. I had the Star delivered to my house during the entire Miller days and James was often extremely critical of him. So much so I simply stopped reading his articles because I swear there was never going to be anything good to say anyways. But based on his writings since FORD took over you would have thought that James was PRO MILLER... People who support the SUN and who claim star writers are in bed with the liberals clearly werent reading these columns during the MIller days.

If that is the case, why do we still have this program?

I generally see older women using it, particularly during the winter.

I've used it once when I had no clue where I was going, the windows were covered in dirt, and the driver seemed to know where my destination was

Back