11K     10 

Transit City Plan

Which transit plan do you prefer?

• Transit City

Votes: 95 79.2%
  • Ford City

Votes: 25 20.8%

• Total voters
I would love to see transit city die. In fact, I would rename that to tram-city, because that is what it is more or less.

Transit planning is never going to go away. I look at tram-city as a simply bad plan. Something else will replace it. Even if it is smaller - heck - smaller would be more do-able. Line a nice fine sheppard line extension or something along those lines.

Considering the last 30 years of history, saying "Nothing will get built in [Toronto], period" isn't that outlandish. It's kind of the status quo.

We should have built more, but even at our mediocre pace of expansion, your time frame includes the Bloor Danforth line extension, Scarborough RT opening, Downsview Station, and the Sheppard line. If we say 32 years we can also include the Spadina line. There was also the Harbourfront "LRT" and Spadina streetcar ROW.

Some may envy a city where you can get to more places faster via rapid transit. They're not misguided.

I've been browsing the transportation forums the last few days trying to find out how far along the transit city plans are but it's tough to find any real info on here because of all the arguing. So it would appear the Shepard line is already under construction? Is that correct? Are any others already started or slated to start soon? Thanks!

Sheppard has started with grade separation and utility work.

The TTC wants Finch to start this year but Metrolinx may not have the budget for it. Metrolinx is paying for and will own all TC lines.

Eglinton is on the books to start this year but I bet it'll get pushed back.

The Scarborough RT conversion to LRT is to start in 2012 but it may get changed up because of the Pan-Am games.

This is a good list of currently funded transit projects and their construction status: http://stevemunro.ca/?p=3251

Also, all the lines are just low-capacity trams and even a baby could move faster than them. Now let's argue about that for 20 pages.

I've been browsing the transportation forums the last few days trying to find out how far along the transit city plans are but it's tough to find any real info on here because of all the arguing. So it would appear the Shepard line is already under construction? Is that correct? Are any others already started or slated to start soon? Thanks!

It depends how you define under construction. They are doing the Agincourt grade separation and relocating water mains and sewer lines. That was all work that was supposed to be done anyway but was rolled into this project. No substantive work on the LRT line itself has been commenced as of yet. I think that'll begin in the Summer if I'm not mistaken.

Here is ""NO"" LRT Construction going on at this time since it still in design stage.

Hello SRT 2015

Commuter update: SkyTrain expanded for Olympic rush, while Canada Line can't cope

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/...ush+while+Canada+Line+cope/2551295/story.html

By Graeme Wood, Vancouver SunFebruary 11, 2010 12:03 PMComments (19)

* Story
* Photos ( 1 )

Some of the masses of people arriving for Olympic opening ceremony dress rehearsal Wednesday leave SkyTrain in Vancouver.

Photograph by: Steve Bosch, PNG

The latest transit updates for Metro Vancouver commuters for Thursday, the day before the 2010 Winter Olympics open in Vancouver:

SKYTRAIN: SkyTrain will be operating at rush-hour service levels into the late evening today to accommodate the Olympic commuter crunch, according to TransLink this morning, which reported smooth operations on the Expo and Millennium lines.
As long as there is demand TransLink said trains will run every minute and 50 seconds instead of every three minutes. Trains have also been lengthened and during the Games, which begin tomorrow, service from Waterfront to King George
will be extended to 2:15 a.m.

CANADA LINE: Canada Line currently does not have the ability to lengthen trains or shorten its trip intervals from three minutes and 30 seconds so long lines should be expected. This morning lines began at the crack of dawn and by 8 a.m. queue control was in place while boarding at Waterfront. "If it gets to the point where there could be too many people on the platform to be safe we hold people at the entrance," said TransLink spokesman Drew Snider. Snider reminds those heading to the Richmond O Zone during the Olympics that the last train to leave Richmond is at 12:48 a.m. After that you must catch a night bus at the
station. Bus service begins at 1:12 a.m. and runs every 30 minutes until 4:45a.m.

WESTCOAST EXPRESS: Commuters were late for work by up to an hour this morning after the No.1 train stalled due to engine problems at Port Haney station. The stall caused a 30-minute delay for the No. 2 train that had to connect to the No. 1. During the Olympics, the West Coast Express will run three or four extra trains each day.

PARK AND RIDES: TransLink is reporting park-and-ride commuters are having trouble finding spaces at various park-and-ride lots around Metro Vancouver. According to TransLink, one might want to check out ridesharing options at www.ride-share.com. The website has just added information on registering as a driver or passenger for getting to and from park-and-rides.

Ah, the bitching by Vancouverites on that article about how awful transit is in Vancouver, and how bad the Canada Line is is hilarious. I've seen the same bitching at forums for other cities that we tend to look up to for transit. Seems that now matter how good transit it, there's a minority who are just going to whine about how bad it is!

If Transit City were replaced with just BRT, that'd be even worse than Transit City.

But a healthy balance of BRT incorporated with new LRTs and metros rather than a one size fits all approach, benefits the vast majority. The perpetual need to put down certain transportation modes given Toronto's limited first-hand experience using them is highly suspect.

I would love to see transit city die. In fact, I would rename that to tram-city, because that is what it is more or less.

Transit planning is never going to go away. I look at tram-city as a simply bad plan. Something else will replace it. Even if it is smaller - heck - smaller would be more do-able. Line a nice fine sheppard line extension or something along those lines.

I'm floating the moniker Tramsfer City around.

The biggest issue with that plan is how it aims to eradicate further subway expansion along many corridors that should be built as subways. You'd think that the 2015 Pan Am Games would be enough incentive to extend the Bloor-Danforth to SCC on an entirely new alignment than that of the SRT ergo keeping the SRT operational during the construction period. But no, they fasttrack SELRT becuase they believe that travellers from the airport in droves will take the 192 to Kipling, B-D to Bloor-Yonge, YUS to Sheppard Yonge, Sheppard Subway to Don Mills, SELRT to Progress, S(L)RT to SCC, 38 Highland Creek to Scarborough Campus for a one-way commute of over 3 hours? You'll get serious brain-hurt trying to figure what precisely was going on in the boardroom the day those-not-to-be-named came up with this brillant award-winning strategy to help attract new ridership and make the average daily transit user's life less complicated.

I'm floating the moniker Tramsfer City around.

The biggest issue with that plan is how it aims to eradicate further subway expansion along many corridors that should be built as subways. You'd think that the 2015 Pan Am Games would be enough incentive to extend the Bloor-Danforth to SCC on an entirely new alignment than that of the SRT ergo keeping the SRT operational during the construction period. But no, they fasttrack SELRT becuase they believe that travellers from the airport in droves will take the 192 to Kipling, B-D to Bloor-Yonge, YUS to Sheppard Yonge, Sheppard Subway to Don Mills, SELRT to Progress, S(L)RT to SCC, 38 Highland Creek to Scarborough Campus for a one-way commute of over 3 hours? You'll get serious brain-hurt trying to figure what precisely was going on in the boardroom the day those-not-to-be-named came up with this brillant award-winning strategy to help attract new ridership and make the average daily transit user's life less complicated.

You'd also get some serious brain hurt trying to figure out why someone would think that origin and destination pair are going to be traveled by any more than a small number of people, particularly during the games, as well as why anyone would think that route would be the one they would take. If anyone is travelling to UTSC from the BD line they will take an express bus from Kennedy station, if they are coming from Sheppard east then they will travel down morningside,

And the SELRT was not fast tracked because of the games,

Has the TTC or Metrolinx ordered vehicles for TC yet? With an operational date of 2013, I would hope so since the vehicles normally take 2-3 years to complete?

For the SOS plan? Yeah that works ... with all those short little subways they want to build with the $8-billion that is available, there will be a lot more transfers!

Has the TTC or Metrolinx ordered vehicles for TC yet? With an operational date of 2013, I would hope so since the vehicles normally take 2-3 years to complete?
The TTC streetcar order for last year, included options for add-on vehicles for the Transit City lines. Metrolinx seems to be doing their best to sabotage that though ... and if they have to retender, then it is hard to imagine they would have any vehicles by 2013.

She raises a good point.

I wonder if we should have one thread for actual updates and information, and another for endless fanboy arguments? I find the Transportation forums unreadable in general for this reason, so I usually stay away.

Back