News   May 21, 2024
 372     0 
News   May 21, 2024
 335     0 
News   May 17, 2024
 3.3K     5 

Transformation AGO (5s, Gehry) COMPLETE

I was down in the area today too: it’s a beautiful building and, as good as your pictures are, Mr. Canadian National, (and thank you for them) they don't capture the varying tones of blue, or the pillowed-effect of the Titanium or the intense visual impact the structure makes, particularly when viewed from the south, looking north to the Grange Park. This really must be seen in person. I saw workers inside, scurrying about (on the Labour Day weekend!), so I'm confident that it will indeed be finished by November. The AGO has been closed too long and I look forward to its reopening.

Here's hoping, because in photos it looks quite garish.

I went to the new ROM last month, what a disappointing!

I mean, the exterior looks "cool". I hate to use this term, but yes, most modern architecture nowadays, I think, are being rated by how "cool" and "sexy" they are.

The interior staircase that takes you to the top is interesting. There is a small triangular glass at bridge on the top floor. There, you look down, you are going to see how the stairs below you overlap.

Otherwise, the interior space is a disappointment. I think those shelves / cabinets that hold the exhibits are destroying the space. I feel Libeskind should have design all the fixtures as well, so the spaces are not disconnected. It also need more double height spaces that will take advantage of all the angles that the walls and windows create.

The wood panelling in the Galleria Italia looks very similar to the Anigre veneer they used in the Jackman Lounge at the Four Seasons Centre, though it is Douglas fir.

From Architectural Record:

Gehry Designs First Big Project For Toronto, His Hometown
September 3, 2008
By C. J. Hughes
With the recent installation of limestone floors and Douglas fir walls, the Art Gallery of Ontario (AGO) is wrapping up a top-to-bottom, four-year redesign by Frank Gehry, who spent much of his childhood just streets away from the Toronto museum. It also marks yet another instance of the city using attention-grabbing architecture to lure visitors to its cultural institutions.

The $217 million project—Gehry’s first major commission in Canada—increases the museum’s size nearly 20 percent, from 486,000 to 583,000 square feet. This added space will allow the institution to display twice as many pieces from its collection, which features artwork from 100 A.D. to the present, with an emphasis on Canadian artists. The museum also boasts the world’s largest collection of works by the British sculptor Henry Moore.

The AGO is North America’s tenth largest museum. Founded in 1900, it first was housed in the Grange, a Georgian mansion built in 1817. Over the decades, the museum has undergone six expansions—the Gehry project being the seventh–giving rise to a sprawling complex with an eclectic aesthetic. For the front elevation, Gehry has designed a new façade, a 600-foot-wide sweep of ribbed glass, which replaces a redbrick version from a 1993 renovation by Barton Myers and Kuwabara Payne McKenna Blumberg Architects (KPMB).

In order to stay within the museum’s footprint, as it already takes up most of the roughly 13.5-acre block, Gehry expanded vertically, most notably placing a four-story wing on top of the museum, near the rear. Clad in titanium and glass, its blue hue recalls the architect’s Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao, Spain, but its linear form is more conventional. In fact, a staircase that squiggles up through a sky lit court is one of the only features in the entire project that embodies Gehry’s sculptural style.

In many ways, the redesign brings the museum in line with its layout in the 1930s, when Gehry, now 79, lived for extended periods with his grandparents in a row house about two blocks to the south. Specifically, he returned the main entrance to the building’s midpoint, re-aligning it with the Grange. The museum has been closed during construction and is scheduled to reopen on November 14.

As Gehry well knows, museum architecture can help boost a city’s global stature. “Throughout history, the buildings that define a city are the public ones,†the architect says. “Museums are important pieces of our culture, so they deserve to have an iconic presence.†Toronto clearly agrees, as it has made a concerted effort in recent years to give its cultural institutions a flashier presence. The Royal Ontario Museum hired Daniel Libeskind to create an addition for its Beaux Arts building; the sharply angled gallery, called the Michael Lee-Chin Crystal, was completed last year. Nearby, the Gardiner Museum underwent a 30-month renovation and expansion designed by KPMB and received a Citation of Excellence from RECORD and BusinessWeek.Moreover, adjacent to the AGO property is the Wil Alsop-designed Sharp Centre for Design, whose top floors are balanced on tentacle-like columns.

High-profile design certainly can boost attendance. Libeskind’s 2006 Hamilton Building at the Denver Art Museum drew 630,000 visitors last year, up considerably from the 489,000 in 2004, says Kristy Bassuener, a spokeswoman. Today snazzy galleries are more the rule than the exception, says William Goetzmann, a Yale professor and former director of Denver’s Museum of Western Art. “More people will come from far away if they’re big and grand,†he says. This is the case even if the buildings themselves aren’t always conducive to viewing art, he adds.

But for Matthew Teitelbaum, AGO director, it’s not enough for Gehry’s handiwork to provide a one-time bounce. He wants repeat visitors who will come because the building is at once comfortable and surprising. He says Gehry has “achieved a building that opensup something new at every turn, which is a real metaphor for the experience of art.â€

Something that really bothers me regarding the building are those light boxes which protrude from the top of the new large box. I was sincerely hoping that they were going to cladding these boxes, but from the looks of it they will remain grey or off-white.

p5

Those boxes are definitely staying as is. There are also matching boxes on the low roof above and behind the Galleria. They don't look like much from the outside but they make a huge impact on the interiors, because they're all open to the floors below.

I'm surprised nobody picked this up:

Westons contribute $12M to AGO arts education

The Art Gallery of Ontario has received a gift of $12 million toward its art education centre and educational programs.

The W. Garfield Weston Foundation has committed $10 million toward rebuilding education and public programming facilities at the Toronto gallery.

Another $2 million will become part of an education endowment fund that the AGO hopes will eventually total $7 million.

Total cost for the new centre will be $25 million, with the fundraising continuing.

The foundation, named after the founder of Weston bakeries, supports mainly education and environmental intiatives.

The Weston family, which backs the Loblaw grocery chain and George Weston Ltd., has a 30-year association with the AGO, having supported the George Weston Hall, youth initiatives, capital projects and exhibitions.

The family also contributed $20 million toward the renovation at the Royal Ontario Museum.

The $12-million AGO donation will mean 50 per cent more children, youth and teachers will benefit from art education at a facility named the Weston Family Learning Centre, the AGO said.

The gallery called the donation the largest in Canadian history for an art education program.

The education programs, founded in 1930 by Group of Seven artist and teacher Arthur Lismer, will serve more than 80,000 students annually in the new space.

The new centre will include custom-designed spaces for students and teachers, an artist-in-residence studio, a visual media lab and a 90-seat education theatre for adult continuing education.

More from The Star:

Art education finds a big sponsor

"Education matters at the Art Gallery of Ontario.

Coming soon: the Weston Family Learning Centre, heralding a marked improvement in the gallery's conspicuously untransformed educational facility.

Yesterday, the AGO announced a $12 million lead gift from the W. Garfield Weston Foundation. That will cover a good portion of both the $18 million budget to renovate the facility and the $7 million endowment fund needed to help keep it going.

The design process and selection of an architect will happen in the summer of 2009, with construction to begin in early 2010.

What it means: art education is definitely not being left out of the AGO future. This initiative is a demonstration that the gallery means to make access and inclusiveness part of its mandate, reducing barriers and offering paths for new audiences to make the visual arts part of their everyday lives.

Martin Knelman"

Is this that area along Beverly street? I'm surprised they didn't just go ahead and ask Gehry to add this to the overall Transformation AGO project.

24 September 2008 photo update

The view from OCAD as the sun was setting was quite pleasant...indeed.:)

DSC01220.jpg

Great stuff UD. I was there on Sunday and there's gonna be a ton of great photo opportunities when this place is finished. Can't wait. Interestingly, the rear of the building is just as dramatic as the front, how often can you say that? BTW, there were plenty of workers at the site on Sunday.

Great stuff UD. I was there on Sunday and there's gonna be a ton of great photo opportunities when this place is finished. Can't wait. Interestingly, the rear of the building is just as dramatic as the front, how often can you say that? BTW, there were plenty of workers at the site on Sunday.

Technically the rear of this building is along McCaul. The side that faces the park is, appropriately, another main facade really.

Does anyone know why the blue titanium cladding has a crumpled tinfoil look to it? Will it be smoothed out, or is that how it is going to look?

Back