News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.6K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 330     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 894     0 

Train Spotting

^Incredible shot.

The original station lasted 112 years. The GO station that replaced it barely lasted 40.

I wonder how long the one just completed will last.

- Paul

^Incredible shot.

The original station lasted 112 years. The GO station that replaced it barely lasted 40.

I wonder how long the one just completed will last.

- Paul
So there was a siding there? And then they removed it? And now it's double tracked? Smart

2001 is when GO bought the line from CN. And they only started running on the line in September of 1982.

Dan

Old documentation says that the track in that photo was a service track, not a siding. Note the split frog derail. Even in 1974, it wasn't being used as a passing track.

It was still in place in 1992 according to the City's Aerial Photograph collection, but gone by 2002.

The line was OCS until about 2009ish.... so clearly no investment in capacity other than maintenance in all that time. (In 1974 the line had weight restrictions, but I haven't gone searching for when the track was beefed up to modern standards EDIT - that only happened post 1993).

Another good example of the "the rails are there so we must be able to add a train right away" fallacy.

As much as I cringe at some of the station overbuilding, I give ML credit for designing with the future in mind.... that scene today is different for a reason. Somebody finally considered what it would take to run a more frequent service, and built to that. The point being, GO (or VIA) (or CN) never intended to run more than a peak service on the line....until the last decade.

- Paul

Last edited:
Old documentation says that the track in that photo was a service track, not a siding. Note the split frog derail. Even in 1974, it wasn't being used as a passing track.

It was still in place in 1992 according to the City's Aerial Photograph collection, but gone by 2002.

The line was OCS until about 2009ish.... so clearly no investment in capacity other than maintenance in all that time. (In 1974 the line had weight restrictions, but I haven't gone searching for when the track was beefed up to modern standards EDIT - that only happened post 1993).

Another good example of the "the rails are there so we must be able to add a train right away" fallacy.

As much as I cringe at some of the station overbuilding, I give ML credit for designing with the future in mind.... that scene today is different for a reason. Somebody finally considered what it would take to run a more frequent service, and built to that. The point being, GO (or VIA) (or CN) never intended to run more than a peak service on the line....until the last decade.

- Paul
Back in the 1980s we lived in Goodwood near the line - it was still operating (barely) to Lindsay and Cannington. I used to walk the ROW and noticed that many of the ties had 'date spikes' and most were from the 1940s.

20231129_084331.jpg

20231129_084239.jpg

Happened to stumble across the CP Holiday Train this morning while walking the dog. (Edit to mention: Video in Twitter link above)

I wanted to check that out yesterday for the first time, but of course it was a total zoo so I threw my hands up in frustration and left.

I wanted to check that out yesterday for the first time, but of course it was a total zoo so I threw my hands up in frustration and left.
If you can help it next year, going to another showing - such as Oshawa or Hamilton - might be a better solution for you.

Dan

Back