News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.7K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 392     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 979     1 

Trailer park occupants face eviction by owner

This situation underscores the wider problem of a lack of affordable housing in the GTA. Lots of people here are on fixed incomes, and many of those are at the mercy of landlords who are naturally more concerned with their bottom line than with their tenants' welfare. If redevelopment will net the landowner a windfall, it's thier right to pursue that.

Trailer parks don't enter into the equation often. It's a lifestyle choice that is atypical up here, but one can see from these articles that these people are very attached to it: nobody is doing them a favour here by forcing them out. I'll bet that for the residents to simply band together to try to find a parcel of land to buy and relocate to somewhere close by will be next to impossible. Beyond the price of land in the GTA, I'll bet there's no land zoned for new trailer parks here anyway. Realistically, these people are facing the end of their way of life.

Not to turn them into a side show, but it would be worth Canadian Geographic (or National Geo, or the National Film Board, or somebody, anybody) to go into the site on a regular basis to document the last year at the park.

Here it is, sorry Future Mayor, I called it a trailer park.

479944737_43dca0d805_o.jpg

This situation underscores the wider problem of a lack of affordable housing in the GTA....Beyond the price of land in the GTA, I'll bet there's no land zoned for new trailer parks here anyway. Realistically, these people are facing the end of their way of life.

That's very true. The next closest trailer parks I know of are in Terra Cotta (and I am not sure if this is a year-round one), in Acton, and up by Schaumburg (Durham has a few). Big difference from central Mississauga.

One year's notice does sound like a lot, but how much would it cost to move a residential trailer to a park 25-50 km away? It's hard not to have any sympathy.

The context of the site is *really* interesting - there are 4 coop buildings (in 2 complexes) and 2 social housing buildings (one for seniors, I believe) immediately around the trailer park. Funny how all these 'undesirable' land uses all ended up at the same spot, when there is absolutely nothing at the greenfield development a km or two west, along Dundas?

AoD

I feel a bit confused here.....I've visited a mobile home park on the north side of Dundas sort of around where the driving range and a place that sells trailers is.......is that the same park....there was a comment at the beginning of this thread that lead me to believe that there are two parks....one near Confederation and the other near Dixie....?

lol....first post I've done on this new system....been on urban TO for years now, however so far on this vBulletin here I've gone from being a junior member the first day to a "newbie" in short order.....what gives?

You are correct, there was another trailer park on the NE side of Dundas and Dixie. This property was vacated for a Region of Peel housing project (Summerville Place).

And the newbie issue/post count has been discussed at length elsewhere here. Everyone started again from the bottom, even Ganjavih at 10000+ posts - you're a newbie to vBulletin, not Urban Toronto, don't worry about it and keep posting!

Actually, that other trailer park's still there--Summerville Place was just plunked into the frontage. (Check out the Mapquest in the link: the numbered streets belong to the trailer park. It's a *lot* bigger than the Cooksville one.)

^ The one on Dundas, east of Dixie, is called Twin Pines. The address is 1745 Dundas Street East. It was in private ownership for many years, but was taken over about 10 years ago by Peel Non-profit Housing, when the private owner wanted to sell. Summerville Pines is the name of the high-rise apt. building which was subsequently built on a vacant area at the front of the Twin Pines property. Twin Pines remains very much in existence, with, I think, about 200 mobile homes.

I don't foresee any similar reprieve for the property at Confederation Parkway. The land is too valuable, and let's face it, the mobile home use is out of character with other uses in the neighbourhood. It is indeed unfortunate that there is little or no other land available for these people to move to, within reasonable distance. Many of them will probably have to sell their homes at fire-sale prices.

its also happining here in Calgary, but I believe almost all the trailer parks here are forcing everyone out.

tiny trailer park in Malton

There's another "trailer park" in the Malton area of Missy. Just down the street from Malton GO Station on Derry Rd, between Goreway and Airport.

I found it (blessed Google)! It's at 3233 Derry Rd. E., between Topiary's Steak and Seafood (@ 3215) and Bell Canada (@ 3255). There are 23 mobile homes on the property, whose owners have equal shares in 384007 Ontario Limited, o/a Malton Mobile Homes. I hope they expand, purchasing some land from Topiary's and Bell.

Back