News   May 03, 2024
 609     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 293     0 

Traffic calming arterial intersections: one way couplets

afransen

Member Bio
Reaction score
Came across an idea that seems like a very good way of traffic calming the really unpleasant high speed, high traffic volume arterial intersections that are common across the GTA. This solution also has the benefit of maintaining throughput capacity and minimizing delay for drivers despite reducing speeds and making the streets friendlier for vulnerable road users. It has the side benefit of making such intersections into more desirable places, whereas arterial intersections today are deeply unpleasant due to high speeds, long crossing distances and noise.

The solution: one way couplets. This approach is appropriate for greenfield areas but could also be retrofitted in existing suburban areas with big setbacks.

image-asset.jpeg

I also like the idea of having a separate, low car, transit mall as the centre street of a triplet. Seems like a much better idea than our current approach of putting BRT/LRT in the middle of 4-6 lanes of traffic. Could be combined with limited private vehicle access like the King St pilot (no through traffic). It is also very easy to very effectively calm speeds using light timing of one way streets to 30 or 40 kph.

These also don't take that much space. The intersection from San Marcos, CA mentioned above is 105m curb to curb. Here is something that scale overlaid on a typical intersection of major arterials in the GTA, Mavis and Britannia. Very little of value would be lost with such a retrofit...

san marcos.PNG

mavis britannia.PNG

Even if retrofitting some of our awful suburban intersections is too much of a dream... why can't we at least make our greenfield intersections better?

Isn't this kind of what they built, and then got rid of, in downtown Kitchener?
Could be. There is definitely a fad to eliminate one-way streets. I think care needs to be taken to keep speed of one-way couplets down by using frequent signalized intersections with signal timing. It is utterly futile trying to speed if the lights are timed for 40 kph.

I can see the merit of two way streets if volumes and speeds are low enough for one lane in each direction. We're talking 6 lane arterials in the suburbs, which fan out to 9-10 lanes at intersections. We're stuck with a wide concession spacing of arterials which means funneling a fair amount of traffic on each of them, rather than distributing more widely over more, narrower streets. This is a way of taming these massive beasts so that they are able to flow cars as effectively as today while being less horrible (and far less dangerous) for vulnerable road users.

The bus shelter next to the McDonalds on the SE corner was a victim of a car collision a few year back. These intersections are absolutely insane from a safety standpoint and they don't even perform that well for cars.

Last edited:
I guess we're comparing crossing this:

streetview 1.PNG

streetview 2.PNG

Back