News   Apr 29, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Apr 29, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Apr 29, 2024
 624     0 

Tourist looking for advice!

Do not feel nervous for a moment wherever you lodge or go by day or night. Toronto is completely safe despite a few homeless folk here and there, and they pose no threat. If your looking over your backs wherever you go it'll ruin your trip.
I'd recommend Courtyard as it's more central.

Take the Hyatt. It's a better hotel at a better location. You are next to Queen Street, King Street, the CN Tower, etc.

Alternatively, if you are looking for cheap places in good locations the Strathcona is good and Hotel Victoria is excellent if you are into boutique stuff.

The Hyatt is a much better location.

I get the sense you're concerned about personal safety. Toronto has a lot of shabby, run-down areas that aren't actually dangerous. It's a safe city.

The Hyatt is a much better location.

I get the sense you're concerned about personal safety. Toronto has a lot of shabby, run-down areas that aren't actually dangerous. It's a safe city.

Thanks for the help everyone. Truly appreciated.

Yes I am concerned about safety. I'm from NY and here you really can't walk a lot of places after 10pm without some serious risks.

You can pick up pretty good rates at the Pantages too where you are only a block away from Yonge at Queen Street (walking distance to Eaton Centre or St. Lawrence Market). Check out Hotel.com

Oh and try to get tickets to Billy Elliot while here!

We actually got tickets to see The Lion King. Were big Disney fans.

Anyone ever been to Canoe? Were thinking about there for dinner before the play. That or The Sultans Tent.

The best things about Canoe are the views (you can see New York State on the horizon on a clear day) and the bar when Jeffrey is working there. The food is sort of high-end meat and potatoes and the crowd tends to be the downtown financial community, at least at lunch. I think it's more fun to eat at the bar (on the stools facing the south windows) if you're going to go there. You could have drinks and a couple of appetizers before the play. Then you could have dessert somewhere after the play.

If you want a blowout Colborne Lane is a lot more interesting - Claudio Aprile does a great take on molecular gastronomy but it all works nicely and isn't silly. Have the tasting menu and the wine pairings. Other blowouts would include Opus for the wine list, Chiado (serious Portuguese resto, wonderful seafood), Frank's Kitchen (I haven't eaten there yet but it's getting rave reviews), or Scaramouche (great views - demand a window table and don't go if they can't accomodate. Maybe the crowd skews a little old but it's a first class kitchen and professional service, which is not a given in Toronto. You'd need to cab it.) However none of these would be pre-theatre spots.

It's kind of restaurant row along King across from the Hyatt, but most of them are forgettable.

The best things about Canoe are the views (you can see New York State on the horizon on a clear day) and the bar when Jeffrey is working there. The food is sort of high-end meat and potatoes and the crowd tends to be the downtown financial community, at least at lunch. I think it's more fun to eat at the bar (on the stools facing the south windows) if you're going to go there. You could have drinks and a couple of appetizers before the play. Then you could have dessert somewhere after the play.

If you want a blowout Colborne Lane is a lot more interesting - Claudio Aprile does a great take on molecular gastronomy but it all works nicely and isn't silly. Have the tasting menu and the wine pairings. Other blowouts would include Opus for the wine list, Chiado (serious Portuguese resto, wonderful seafood), Frank's Kitchen (I haven't eaten there yet but it's getting rave reviews), or Scaramouche (great views - demand a window table and don't go if they can't accomodate. Maybe the crowd skews a little old but it's a first class kitchen and professional service, which is not a given in Toronto. You'd need to cab it.) However none of these would be pre-theatre spots.

It's kind of restaurant row along King across from the Hyatt, but most of them are forgettable.

Saying that those aren't pre-theatre spots, do you mean they are a distance away? That's what I liked about Canoe. It's highly rated on Trip Advisor and it is also less than a mile from the theatre. I'm hoping to get a window seat at Canoe.

They aren't close to the Princess of Wales Theatre. They're also pretty serious restaurants and there wouldn't be any point in rushing through your meal to get out the door in time for a show. Canoe has a good buzz, at least for lunch - I never eat dinner there but I expect it's more or less the same then. The location and the view make it a good choice for you.

They aren't close to the Princess of Wales Theatre. They're also pretty serious restaurants and there wouldn't be any point in rushing through your meal to get out the door in time for a show. Canoe has a good buzz, at least for lunch - I never eat dinner there but I expect it's more or less the same then. The location and the view make it a good choice for you.

Thanks for your help!

^ If the weather warms up a touch, and if you are into some outdoor dining, ask your hotel for directions to Baldwin St., there is a great outdoor stretch there with an excellent representation of the makeup of Toronto: food from a lot of different places. In summer the atmosphere is terrific. A Japanese place that I love, on Baldwin, is called Etsu.

If you're looking for a good pre-theatre meal consider Kama. It's an Indian buffet just a block east of the Prince of Wales.

Also, I'd agree with the concensus here. There is nothing wrong with the Courtyard, but if the Hyatt in within your budget it's in the perfect location for you.

Grab a little bite before the show to tide you over (Canteen at the Film Festival centre is only a block away) and then go to a late-night place after for dinner. The Counter at the Thompson Hotel is fun (Bathurst just south of King) and you can enjoy a drink in the roof top lounge after too.

Canteen (as above) is right between the Hyatt and the Princess of Wales, and it is reasonably priced and the food is really good. Perfect choice.

A little piece of advice that I would give you is to make sure that you purchase Toronto Transit ("TTC") day passes during your visit which give you unlimited travel for under $10 / day . On the weekends two adults can share the same pass for even greater savings.

Back