News   Apr 25, 2024
 345     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     0 

Toronto's "urban myths"

Agreed, it's impossible to prove or refute the hypothesis that the TTC is the worst transit system in the developed world. However, surely we can agree that it does completely suck.

No, I don't think it totally and utterly sucks. Not all the time. It works pretty well for me. People don't talk as much about the times they got somewhere on time and without complications because the TTC functioned as it should - they remember the delays, the inscrutable service advisories, the discomfort, the outliers in staff attitude.

Do Atlantans ever feel that their subway system is the worst in the world?

Sure, but a large majority simply don't pay any attention to it (other than complaints about the sales tax in some counties) and drive.

I wonder if people in Chicago, Boston or Washington engage in such hyperbole.

I haven't heard many people complain about say, the subway being slow, in Chicago compared to Toronto, but I think that could be that I just took transit far more in Toronto and the crowd I hang around now mostly drive.

Additionally, I notice there are many subway lines the locals in Chicago tell me to avoid due to safety at certain times of night, compared to Toronto where it seemed to not be as much of an issue (even Kennedy station, which plays classical music, which apparently calms people and deters violence). If anything, so far, I have heard more comments about the sketchiness of certain train stations etc., whereas in Toronto it was mostly the speed/efficiency that was the main criticism of the system.

I actually feel like New Yorkers don't really complain about their subway as much or even take pride in it, but then again I haven't really lived in New York city itself before, just visited quite often when I lived in the Tri-state area.

Last edited:
Sure, but a large majority simply don't pay any attention to it (other than complaints about the sales tax in some counties) and drive.

I actually feel like more Torontonians who are complaining about public transit have a stake in wanting to continue to take public transit, while perhaps in some other cities like Atlanta maybe the response for transit-dependent people is not so much to lobby for improvements but try as soon as possible to get a car. I feel like despite the jokes about TTC meaning "take the car", many people feel who complain in this way intend on using it long-term.

Of course people in other cities think their transit is the worst, most people are pretty stupid and can't see the big picture. Nor do they seem to understand that using another cities transit a few times on a visit without encountering any problems isn't the same thing as using it every day and encountering the inevitable problems that occur on large, complex networks consisting of machines that aren't perfect and tend to break down or malfunction from time to time.

http://blog.theregularguynyc.com/the-mta-is-the-std-of-nyc-no-cure-but-we-must-live-with-it/

I actually feel like more Torontonians who are complaining about public transit have a stake in wanting to continue to take public transit, while perhaps in some other cities like Atlanta maybe the response for transit-dependent people is not so much to lobby for improvements but try as soon as possible to get a car. I feel like despite the jokes about TTC meaning "take the car", many people feel who complain in this way intend on using it long-term.
Very well said - I can't spend a week commuting without hating the TTC at least once (bus doesn't show up, bus breaks down, bus shows up late.. etc), but I'm in it for the long haul, hence my resentment.

GO is nice and all, but I'll always rely on the TTC. The fact it sucks is why I'm angry - because I have no intention of giving up! I just wish they'd try.

Just check Twitter. People everywhere complain about their commute, and a lot of it, really stupid. Just like in Toronto. Someone's route will be on diversion because of a police investigation and they'll blame the TTC. Someone's bus will be late because of a collision and they'll blame the TTC. And the absolute worst: someone's train is cancelled because of a fatality and they'll blame GO.

There are valid complaints about transit in Toronto, but discussion about the intricacies of route management or infrastructure investment aren't as satisfying yelling "this system is the worst" and getting on with your day.

I have heard several people over the years tell me there is a long abandoned subway line downtown, usually mentioning Queen or King Street. Not exactly sure how they got that in their head; maybe they once heard about plans or roughed in stops for a Queen streetcar subway and thought it was built but never used.

That is NOT a myth...the never used stations are used for movie shoots once in a while

http://transit.toronto.on.ca/subway/5006.shtml

http://o.canada.com/technology/internet/ttc-shows-off-unused-subway-stations-in-youtube-video

http://www.blogto.com/city/2015/02/an_insiders_guide_to_the_secrets_of_the_ttc/

The stations are there but it's not true to say there is an abandoned *line* anywhere.

I think some people may be conflating the existence of Lower Bay/Lower Queen with that underpass (I always forget where it is exactly) that says 'Queen Subway' and which is just an underpass that predates the subway.

The stations are there but it's not true to say there is an abandoned *line* anywhere.

I think some people may be conflating the existence of Lower Bay/Lower Queen with that underpass (I always forget where it is exactly) that says 'Queen Subway' and which is just an underpass that predates the subway.

Yes, exactly. I suspect there is also an urban mystique attribute at play where some people simply want to believe there are abandoned tunnels and secret passages throughout the city.

Yes, exactly. I suspect there is also an urban mystique attribute at play where some people simply want to believe there are abandoned tunnels and secret passages throughout the city.
Many people also misunderstand what the aborted Queen St. Streetcar tunnel was and wasn't.

Back