News   May 10, 2024
 3.1K     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 1.4K     0 

Toronto's local micros & brewpubs

tayser

Member Bio
Reaction score
Finally found - after a 3 year search - some Canuckistani brews locally (Blanche de Chambly: if beer were tits, that would be it!) but most have been Québecois.

Can anyone throw any Toronto/Ontario micro names at me?

I & another mate plan trips around different brewpubs and his appetite's been sufficiently wet by Québec's effort. I was always coming, but now that my mate's coming, look the f*$k out Toronto :)

Anyone been to any of the following listed bars? http://www.ratebeer.com/places2/map.asp?mid=91

The Kensington market area's got a few brewhouses, no?

ta.

I just bought some Tankhouse Ale by the Mill St brewery gang (first time i've ever had their brew) and was pleasantly surprised: A fan of British ales, Tankhouse is the best Ontario ale I've had so far. http://millstreetbrewery.com/main3.htm

If you're into porters and heavier beers, try going here: (A long trek form Toronto but essential to understand Canada's real traditions.)

Neustadt Springs Brewery Ltd.
456 Jacob St.
Neustadt, Ontario Canada
Phone: (519) 799-5790
Hours: 10am - 6pm Tuesday to Sunday
Brewer: Andrew Stimpson

Won a silver medal at Guelph Beer Festival 2000 for Neustadt Lager.

Reputed to be the oldest original operating brewery building in Ontario. Stone built in 1859 by 40 German stonemasons, with underground caverns where the original crystal springs flow.

I knew it was a good idea to ask: Mill St brewery ain't even listed on ratebeer.com

Neustadt will probably be my on my second trip to Toronto ;)

thanks for the head's up. keep 'em coming! :D

Ditto on the Mill St.

Check out "C'est What"... cool brew house with a number of their own brews.

Amsterdam Brewing Co... near Fort York

Steam Whistle... its in the Round House near the cn tower... or Leons? :)

The Granite brewery on Eglinton at Mount Pleasant has some interesting beers (with equally interesting names like 'the Peculiar') AND you can buy them in one of those large moonshine-esque jugs they call a 'growler'.

Definitely check out Mill Street's Coffee Porter...

...and the Distillery District while you're at the Mill Street brew pub, especially Soma Chocolatiers for some wild flavours...

Soma's hot choclate is fantastic - even for one who otherwise is no choclate fan, like me.

Semi-off topic (but brew related), does anyone know if Amsterdam Brewing will be setting up a patio once Fort York Blvd. is finally finished and linked to Bathurst?

It's funny how quickly Sleeman's fell, from one of the first small independent brews to a quick rise and fall, and now being owned by the Japanese. Every time I drive down from Guelph and see the Japanese "meat ball" flag it makes me think of the Japanese POW camps after Fall of Hong Kong. I know they took the sun-rays off the 1940's flag, but it's still essentially the same banner. I imagine Zulus in South Africa, and a host of other places, feel the same about the British Union Flag.

Tayser: Allen's on the Danforth has a long list of local brews on their menu, and a very nice backyard patio where one can sample them when the weather is good.

Volo and Bow and Arrow, both listed on ratebeer.com, are both excellent. Volo is more of an Italian restaurant, but with an amazing beer list. The Dominion at Queen and Sumach is also very good. All of them usually have a few good Ontario beers on tab.

Some beer to try: Black Oak Pale Ale, Dennison Weisbier is supposed to be great but it's almost impossible to find, Steamwhistle Pilsner is ubiquitous and pretty unremarkable but nice. I also vote for Mill Street Tankhouse, my personal favourite local beer.

Back