News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.6K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 331     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 894     0 

Toronto's Budget (aka please save us upper levels of government)

...I bet neither of us would be too happy with doubled taxes if all they did was better 'cleaning'.
By clean up I mean to take us from Gotham to Singapore. I fell for the Asian city when I there in 2018, no litter, no graffiti, no beggars, no vagrants, no junkies, clean/modern and EDP-free subways, beautifully maintained parks streets and infrastructure, and strong social housing. I know I’m comparing a city state, but still, a guy can dream.

Last edited:
By clean up I mean to take us from Gotham to Singapore. I fell for the Asian city when I there in 2018, no litter, no graffiti, no beggars, no vagrants, no junkies, clean/modern and EDP-free subways, beautifully maintained parks streets and infrastructure, and strong social housing. I know I’m comparing a city state, but still, a guy can dream.
Having been in Singapore on a number of occasions for business purposes, I completely concur with the Admirals comment. Its an expensive city to live in, far more so then Toronto. Possibly many Westerners would feel that Singapore is fundamentally more restrictive in the area of our perceived rights. But it is also a city-state far more advanced in delivering services that are fundamentally positive in the lives of every day Singaporeans...And I have been reading recently about the proposed new licensing regulations for car ownership within Singapore - very expensive and most likely (if passed) to be far more effective then a congestion charge!!

I am not sure exactly where to put this comment, or if it warrants much discussion, but here goes. I am sitting on the train reading the electronic news and I gather that the Provincial Liberal Party will be holding its leadership convention shortly. Articles are starting to pop up. I gather the two front runners may be Bonnie Crombie (Mississauga) and Nate Erskine-Smith (MP - The Beaches). The ability to defeat Doug Ford in an upcoming election appears to be at the top of the list of attributes Liberal Party members are looking for. And I suppose if you are a Liberal Party Member, that is understandable. But I do not really have a feel for any position either of these candidates (or the others running) may have in regards to Toronto (and the GTA) and the long list of challenges that the city faces - budget being one of them obviously.

I am not sure exactly where to put this comment, or if it warrants much discussion, but here goes. I am sitting on the train reading the electronic news and I gather that the Provincial Liberal Party will be holding its leadership convention shortly. Articles are starting to pop up. I gather the two front runners may be Bonnie Crombie (Mississauga) and Nate Erskine-Smith (MP - The Beaches). The ability to defeat Doug Ford in an upcoming election appears to be at the top of the list of attributes Liberal Party members are looking for. And I suppose if you are a Liberal Party Member, that is understandable. But I do not really have a feel for any position either of these candidates (or the others running) may have in regards to Toronto (and the GTA) and the long list of challenges that the city faces - budget being one of them obviously.

In tying the above back to City Finances, this is not an unreasonable thread in which to consider the above.

However, this might be a better one:

Bonnie's 'Platform' thus far, is outlined here:

Nate's policy plans are here:

Yasir Naqvi's platform is here:

Back