News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.7K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 362     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 932     1 

Toronto's AIC + Other Municipal Development Application Portals (UX/UI/APIs & Opendata)

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Thanks to you both @Art Tsai and @ChesterCopperpot

I'm finding w/the new iteration of the AIC there are some addresses I can't get it to admit to.........drives me right nuts (it doesn't believe there is a 350 Bloor East) LOL

No new docs as yet; which is what I wanted to check as I see a new lobbyist registration on this one effective yesterday.

The new AIC is awful, especially for users who know how to use the system.

Each iteration of the AIC has gotten progressively worse. The current version verges on unusable, its ridiculously frustrating to use with frequent dead links, extremely slow load times, poor UI, everything.

The old-school system which ran 3-4 years ago was far more efficient at pulling information, if slightly less intuitive for inexperienced users.. who I imagine are a fraction of users anyway.

Each iteration of the AIC has gotten progressively worse. The current version verges on unusable, its ridiculously frustrating to use with frequent dead links, extremely slow load times, poor UI, everything.

The old-school system which ran 3-4 years ago was far more efficient at pulling information, if slightly less intuitive for inexperienced users.. who I imagine are a fraction of users anyway.

seconded - much prefer the previous iteration.

Honestly, the city should provide this info as open data. Give me an API, let me build a proper UI around it. The city clearly doesn't have the resources to build a proper app for this and there's a great civic tech community here that could build a much nicer and more accessible frontend for that info given the opportunity. All we need is the data.

100% right. Also, depending on your security infrastructure, you may not be able to access the site at all. It's insane.

The folks in charge of the AIC:

aic.JPG

Source

Honestly, the city should provide this info as open data. Give me an API, let me build a proper UI around it. The city clearly doesn't have the resources to build a proper app for this and there's a great civic tech community here that could build a much nicer and more accessible frontend for that info given the opportunity. All we need is the data.
the City had one of the best development portals in the province for years, and was a leader in municipalities to post development files online. Many GTA municipalities still don't post development materials publicly.

They had a simple, but very functional UI for years which worked well. Then they decided to "improve it", which made it worse, 2-3 years ago (can't recall exactly when). Since they then decided that version wasn't bad enough, they then changed it up again to the current system, which is just spectacularly bad.

Come here. LOL

Here's what available.

Tell me what else you need, and I can see what we can rattle loose.

Come here. LOL

Here's what available.

Tell me what else you need, and I can see what we can rattle loose.
I basically only ever go to the AIC to download documents. To be useful, the API would need a list of documents associated with each application and a way to programmatically download each file, ideally just a deep link directly to the file. I suspect that this would be a big ask, unfortunately.

I basically only ever go to the AIC to download documents. To be useful, the API would need a list of documents associated with each application and a way to programmatically download each file, ideally just a deep link directly to the file. I suspect that this would be a big ask, unfortunately.

The data in that CSV is sufficient to fix Northern Lights specific issue as someone could replace the address lookup method (hit and miss in the city search) and provide a direct link to the APPLICATION_URL.

Figured this topic could use a dedicated thread as I've seen discussion in various building threads regarding the process of finding data and documents for developments. The history of Toronto's Application Information Centre (AIC) has also been turbulent, with recent updates significantly impacting ease of use and these changes should be documented. Feel free to use this thread to discuss and make comparisons to other cities' online data portals and user-friendliness.

Relevant discussion has been copied above from the 110 Adelaide Street East thread.

Last edited:
Figured this topic could use a dedicated thread as I've seen discussion in various building threads regarding the process of finding data and documents for developments. The history of Toronto's Application Information Centre (AIC) has also been turbulent, with recent updates significantly impacting ease of use and these changes should be documented. Feel free to use this thread to discuss and make comparisons to other cities' online data portals and user-friendliness.

Relevant discussion has been copied above from the 110 Adelaide Street East thread.
I hope someone has drawn this useful thread to the attention of Greg Lintern! In general, the City is willing to share information but their 'front-ends' are almost always dreadful. In this case, a few years ago they replaced a very functional 'legacy system' with a worse 'new system' and have now made that even worse!

Back