Toronto YWCA Elm Centre | ?m | 17s | YWCA Toronto | SvN

Think of the parts of inner Toronto that are more skewed toward the lower income demographic. Student ghettos, Regent Park, Parkdale, places like that. It's more common to find poorly kept properties, crime, shoddy housing, and sketchy people walking around than say midtown or the beaches. I like well kept urban areas, not nitty gritty ones.

http://www.ywcatoronto.org/shelter_housing_support/housing/elm_centre.htm

1elmcentredx7.jpg

1elmcentre2ua5.png

Don't like the blue stripes on an otherwise nicely scaled but, bland building.

I feel like I've died and gone to Toronto Style heaven - a Prii and an aA chattering to one another - comparing their green roofs, their setbacks, their Brutalism and their neo-Modernism, their boldly directional use of site, their continuity of style yet their subtle differences, their Concrete Toronto cool and their steel and glass Clewesian savvy.

I feel like I've died and gone to Toronto Style heaven - a Prii and an aA chattering to one another - comparing their green roofs, their setbacks, their Brutalism and their neo-Modernism, their boldly directional use of site, their continuity of style yet their subtle differences, their Concrete Toronto cool and their steel and glass Clewesian savvy.

HAHA, you hit so many 'Toronto targets' here...This post comes close to SNF's tie-dye One St. Thomas!

Well, there's chatter between contemporary buildings - OCAD and the AGO for instance, and there's new/old chatter ( the Crystal chats to the older ROM wings; Gehry's AGO addition chats to the Walker Court; KPMB's Ballet School chats to Havergal College, and their addition to the Royal Conservatory chats to the RCM's heritage buildings ) so it's nice to see two examples of post-WW2 design - at a one generation remove - chatting nicely. At the end of the Second World War, Canada's economy was operating at full capacity because of the war effort, and the concrete-pouring construction boom in Ontario carried on for decades, so there's a definite kinship between these two structures.

I'm sure that we are all chuffed to little mint balls for your happiness!

KPMB's Ballet School chats to Havergal College

Havergal is at Lawrence and Avenue. National Ballet School is at 400 Jarvis. But I still agree with your points about the 'conversations' which buildings engage with the surrounding structures, streets, and landscape.

The building that is part of the National Ballet School complex on Jarvis Street was built in 1898 for Havergal Ladies' College.

Anyone willing to sentimentally reflect upon what's going? Y'know, all that fudge-coloured 70s sub-Aalto institutional. (But at least Laughlen Lodge's still kicking.)

Back