Toronto York Harbour Club | ?m | 17s | Plaza | BDP Quadrangle

We did a front page story on a very cold, cloudy, and blustery day early this past winter when the art component, Fountaingrove by Carlo Cesta and Nestor Krüger, was officially unveiled. Part of Fountaingrove's total effect is its shadows, so I was happy to see sunlight on it yesterday casting those… and snapped some pics:

DSC04595.jpg
DSC04598.jpg
DSC04603.jpg

Attachments

• DSC04595.jpg
    DSC04595.jpg
    410.8 KB · Views: 1,050
  • DSC04598.jpg
    DSC04598.jpg
    612.7 KB · Views: 1,029
  • DSC04603.jpg
    DSC04603.jpg
    315.2 KB · Views: 1,021
I like the way the shadows interact with the red hydro markings on the sidewalk. ;)

But seriously, it's a shame that the ground plane wasn't conceived of as part of these objects. It's another case of something being plunked down in any old setting, in this case on a very typical concrete sidewalk. Just my two cents.

There are many public art components to recent developments that are interesting and engaging to the public, and are implemented in a way that do the artwork justice. But too often it seems like just another item checked off the developer's list.

I like the way the shadows interact with the red hydro markings on the sidewalk. ;)

But seriously, it's a shame that the ground plane wasn't conceived of as part of these objects. It's another case of something being plunked down in any old setting, in this case on a very typical concrete sidewalk. Just my two cents.

There are many public art components to recent developments that are interesting and engaging to the public, and are implemented in a way that do the artwork justice. But too often it seems like just another item checked off the developer's list.

Beyond the hydro-doesn't-seem-to-give-a-shit paint, the biggest problems here are the location of the two street signs: both were just plunked anywhere in regards to the artwork, and it's hard to get shots of Fountaingrove that aren't negatively impacted by them. The cement that the artwork sits in actually has a special reflective grit embedded in it which makes the those pieces a little shinier than the rest around it. I think that was meant to work better than it does, but they did try to make that work—the cement was suppose to look wet. The location of Fountaingrove itself was chosen as the Garrison Creek culvert runs right under the middle of it, not too many feet down. (That culvert heads southeast towards the Loblaws warehouse from that spot, and is complicating the rebuild of that building.)

In terms of the developer giving a shit, I'll personalize this case: Leslie Yager was responsible at Plaza for the public art components of their projects of the last many years and she came to really treasure that part of her job. I could tell that from talking with her at the various dedications that took place over the last few years… and then she actually delayed her retirement to see the last one of them completed.

I am willing to bet that at first many developers resented the 1 percent for public art program when it was first instated, and maybe some of the bean-counter types remain feeling that way, but even that would be an unfair accusation for me to make because you just never know who is going to be caught up by which piece of art and changed a little bit because of it. In Leslie's case she had huge responsibilities in regards to overseeing the new developments, including having to watch the numbers, but she was quite proud of the work she coordinated with Nestor and Krüger here and at other buildings, with Fastwürms (what is it with the umlauts?), with Olaf Breuning, with barman and Borins, and probably more that I don't know about.

I know you guys generally see developers in a very monolithic way: one company moving forward with the bottom line being the only driving goal. Because of our increasing familiarity with many in the industry (which might sound too cozy, but I can assure you we are still mostly on the outside looking in—some developers still don't understand us at all) I can tell you that the companies are all made unique by the people working for them: in other words there really are people who care about what they are doing making the decisions, including those about public art. Leslie Yager was just one of those who I could see took particular joy in that area. (I could go on; the public art consultants, the architects, the City's rep, the fabricators, and the artists themselves of course all get caught up in this. Everyone wants an art component to be proud of, but I don't want this post to become endless.)

Anyway, none of that is to disagree that not everything is perfect, or deny that some works are better thought out than others, that some benefit from bigger budgets, more conducive surrounding sites and/or architecture, etc. There are many variables that add to the final effect… and then we all read the works through our own eyes. I just wanted to post this to say that it's not always obvious how much has gone into each work, and to provoke a little more thought about developers being like any other company - defined by their people, who often do care about things that aren't always immediately apparent.

I just wanted to post this to say that it's not always obvious how much has gone into each work, and to provoke a little more thought about developers being like any other company - defined by their people, who often do care about things that aren't always immediately apparent.

I see what you are saying, but I disagree. Your post is a defense of the individuals within these companies/corporations (who I have no doubt are often great people who are passionate about their work and are doing their very best to have the best results from their projects), more than a defense of the companies themselves. I am not criticizing the people as individuals, or their work. I am making critiques about the final product not doing justice to the hard work of individuals within the system; and a big part of that is bureaucracy and, absolutely, the emphasis placed on the bottom-line. Companies are not a group of individuals-- they are systems operating within capitalism. They are their own beast and they take on their own life. And the behaviour of hard-working individuals is bound within the corporation at large; so unfortunately, a lot of professional opinions or passions for a cause are lost in the mix.

I am of the opinion that we need to continue to improve the frameworks that corporations operate in. Politically I have long felt this way, but studying architecture has made it even more clear to me... i.e. In architecture school we learn the best ways to design to various ends, including sustainable design and environmental performance. But none of that matters in the real world if developers do not allow their architects to design sustainable projects and then subsequently invest in-- and build-- them. And generally, if we do not demand it in the planning framework, in the building code, or on a government level, it will not happen en masse, because companies, being driven by profit, will not make that extra investment until it becomes the most profitable way to build. (And that's not a criticism. What else do you expect a developer to do? Their very job is to profit and grow. I am not faulting them for that. That's the reality of the system we exist in.) Our public art program in Toronto has its benefits, but it could be greatly improved.

None of this is a criticism of the individuals that you know and have met who work within these companies. Hell, I am just a cog in the system like any other person in the industry. But it's for that very reason that critique of the corporations we work within are very important. It's how we improve things with time.

A criticism of the systemic is not a criticism of the individual. And so long as I see potential not met (especially working at architecture firms where developers consistently cut out the environmentally sustainable features of designs, to re-use that example), I will be critical of the system at hand and seek ways to improve it. In this case it's public art, but sustainability is another thing that we need to keep publicly mandating and supporting as much as possible.

Many writers for UT have the pleasure and privilege of meeting representatives of development corporations. But don't fall for the fiction of corporate personhood. The (often good) actions of individuals within these companies are bound by the company, the planning system/regulations we have in place, and the standard that we hold our developers to. I feel that often when a developer is criticized, many other UTers respond defensively. A criticism of a developer does not mean the individual criticizing them has a one-dimensional view on development corporations. It might in fact mean that we have a very nuanced view of the development industry, and are ourselves bound by it.

I don't post as much here these days but I had to say this. Sorry for the huge wall of text, but thank you for reading.

Last edited:

Back