Richmond Hill Yonge Line 1 North Subway Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Here's a question for you all,

Can someone tell me the current ridership on Viva blue / Viva pink.

Last time I checked it was something in the 16-20K range ... which seems incredibly low compared to how busy viva blue seems. I mean there are tons of TTC routes that are higher that don't seem to be.

Also, this is average weekday ridership! I can see the TTC being higher on the weekends. I think off peek is a total killer maybe.

Pink is only a couple thousand I think.

Anyone have stats ?

~21k on an average weekday - mind you, that's including the full lengths of both routes.

(If you're wondering where I got it, it's here.)

Last edited:
~21k on an average weekday - mind you, that's including the full lengths of both routes.

not to mention how many people are lost on these routes due to ppl driving to finch,e tc to avoid having to pay a double fare, as well as people near border routes who are avoiding double fares, and people on the numerous YRT route that ALL go to Finch, very few of these routes are actually made to transfer onto VIVA, so basically there's hardly any feeder bus network, at least in southern York Region.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. There are just as many people (if not more) who go from toronto to the 905 to work. Clogging 905 streets, and taking up seats on 905 transit. If the VIVA was clogged all day from 416 commuters i actually wouldn't mind. It's a sign that the system is paying for itself. I never get on the bus or subway and expect to get a seat, I think the majority of people don't expect to get a seat.
Not quite. While the number of reverse commuters has been going up, there are still a lot more people commuting in than out. There are 85,000 people going from Mississauga into Toronto every day, compared to 58,000 doing the opposite. For Richmond Hill almost 3 times as many people go to Toronto than from it. The only exception is Vaughan, where it's an even split.

The DRL is just easing congestion, it's not actually really going to vastly improve the commute for the people it serves (this assume a pape to Queen alignment. Most of the people within the scope of a DRL are already well served by transit that actually moves. On Yonge north of Steeles traffic is horrible, with almost every single collector funneling directly onto either Yonge or Bathurst, niether buses nor cars can move through this stretch effectively. So while the 905 sees the benefits of a DRL, the Yonge extension will have a more profound effect in terms of easing congestion than a DRL. the DRL will ease the Yonge subway congestion, but it will do nothing to ease street or road congestion. The Extension won't only serve nodal trips like steeles to Union, but it will also be a very effective intermediate trip provider in between major points too. It can provide sufficient savings from having to run less buses off-peak and running a reduced frequency subway on off-peak for a more efficient service tot he area.
Ever been on the downtown streetcars in rush hour? They barely move. People within the scope of the DRL are definitely not well served by transit. IMO, bringing rapid transit to the vast areas of downtown that now rely on streetcars is just as important as relieving the Yonge line.

Not quite. While the number of reverse commuters has been going up, there are still a lot more people commuting in than out. There are 85,000 people going from Mississauga into Toronto every day, compared to 58,000 doing the opposite. For Richmond Hill almost 3 times as many people go to Toronto than from it. The only exception is Vaughan, where it's an even split.

I drive south on the 404/DVP in the morning out of necessity and the fact that I refuse to pay double fare both ways just to get to work, but I'll tell you that the in/out shift has been staggering. In the mornings I see more traffic going northbound than I do going southbound (sans the 401 overpass area because that's outright a design issue rather than just a congestion issue), and in the evening I see the same. I go northbound in the afternoon/evening and it flows 4x smoother than southbound does.

As for the whole 416/905 debate, I find it funny how everyone who blames the 905 for the 416 transit woes conveniently fails to recognize that York Region and the province would be paying entirely for the part of the subway line that would reach north of Steeles. This was established and known so early on in the process that it's painful that it has to be repeated so many times. So once again, Toronto pays for the parts south of Steeles. That's it. And let's not forget that without the province, the TTC couldn't fund a single overpaid worker for an hour of work. And everyone in the GTA pays taxes to the province.

The next person to claim that 905ers shouldn't be allowed to use the TTC because they don't subsidize transit in Toronto gets banned from driving on any of the 400 series highways and ever stepping foot north of Steeles again.

Do you see the New York subway network going into New Jersery No.
You better watch what you're saying, because there is a plan to extend the 7 flushing to Jersey, and this is an extension not only crossing city boundaries, but crossing state boundary too

I drive south on the 404/DVP in the morning out of necessity and the fact that I refuse to pay double fare both ways just to get to work, but I'll tell you that the in/out shift has been staggering. In the mornings I see more traffic going northbound than I do going southbound (sans the 401 overpass area because that's outright a design issue rather than just a congestion issue), and in the evening I see the same. I go northbound in the afternoon/evening and it flows 4x smoother than southbound does.
I drive north on the 404 every morning and it's always free flowing while southbound traffic sits at a standstill as far as Stouffville Rd. But anecdotal evidence doesn't mean much, the numbers show there are still a lot more people commuting into Toronto than out of it.

Yonge Subway to the York Region...and comparison with NYC's 7 Subway across to NJ...

You better watch what you're saying, because there is a plan to extend the 7 flushing to Jersey, and this is an extension not only crossing city boundaries, but crossing state boundary too

AR and KD86: This is an interesting proposal to extend TTC Subway service to the N of Steeles Avenue and the York Region...I feel that this is a good idea and it can
only help the York Region if it can be built...

This comparison is an interesting one-but because of the jurisdictions that would have to agree on a NYC Subway extension to Hudson County and the Meadowlands
via a new Hudson River tunnel it is quite different...

The MTA (NY) and NJ Transit would have to agree on how to construct and finance it
with US Federal Transit money and I feel unless the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey becomes involved this proposal will not be built...

The Port Authority would invest in their own aging PATH rail system before they would fund and/or authorize a new Hudson River tunnel...

Not helping matters is the anti-transit policy of NJ Governor Chris Christie...who killed the massive Trans-Hudson Express rail tunnel project because of anticipated major cost overruns...rightfully so in my opinion but they should have had a "Plan B" like
constructing two new rail tunnels alongside the 100-year old twin tunnels to Penn Station...these two tracks are reaching the saturation point and this is where a new
tunnel project is sorely needed...

Thoughts and opinion from Long Island Mike

Great thanks, again I would have though it would have been more then that. It feels that way. It must be the out of rush ridership that effects it.

For the other routes / purple / pink / their numbers match my daily observations i.e. they make sense to me.

I drive south on the 404/DVP in the morning out of necessity and the fact that I refuse to pay double fare both ways just to get to work, but I'll tell you that the in/out shift has been staggering. In the mornings I see more traffic going northbound than I do going southbound
This statement seems to contradict everything I've ever observed. Until recently I would (on the days I didn't take transit) drive north on the DVP to the 401 in AM rush, and back in the evening. What I saw heading north looked a lot better than the lanes heading south. On the rare occasion I continued north of the 401, it flowed much better than heading south. These days I cross the DVP every day on one bridge or another, and I never see in the AM a traffic jam headed north, and often see one headed south; in the PM I never see one headed south, and often see one headed north.

The next person to claim that 905ers shouldn't be allowed to use the TTC because they don't subsidize transit in Toronto gets banned from driving on any of the 400 series highways and ever stepping foot north of Steeles again.
Clearly banning 905ers from using TTC is wrong ... but given that they don't contribute any of the half-billion or so $ a year that the City of Toronto pays to run the TTC, then I don't see any reason not to charge those who live in 905 extra.

Not sure why you'd suggest banning Torontonians for driving on 400-series highways - we already contribute to their upkeep.

On the commuting issue, the 401 is busy eastbound in Mississauga in the mornings, and westbound in the evenings. It's pretty clear people are still commuting more to dt than to the burbs.

Clearly banning 905ers from using TTC is wrong ... but given that they don't contribute any of the half-billion or so $ a year that the City of Toronto pays to run the TTC, then I don't see any reason not to charge those who live in 905 extra.

I'm not sure what you're getting at here nfitz, but 905ers do pay extra to use the TTC - it's double fare to cross Steeles ($7.00!!). Or am I missing something in your statement?

I'm not sure what you're getting at here nfitz, but 905ers do pay extra to use the TTC - it's double fare to cross Steeles ($7.00!!). Or am I missing something in your statement?

You're missing that 416'ers also pay the double fares to cross Steeles, and there are a lot of 416'ers who work in the 905. Time to stop acting as if it's only 905'ers who are paying the double fare. And the service north of Steeles isn't that great either!

I'm referring to those who use the TTC in Toronto. That extra fare only pays for the TTC service in Region of York. Essentially that is Region of York service being provided on contract by TTC. Personally I'd charge those not resident in Toronto a double fare, so those crossing Steeles on a TTC bus would pay triple fare.

Other alternatives would be if Ontario resumed it's operating funding of local transit.

Back