Richmond Hill Yonge Line 1 North Subway Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Richmond Hill would be reached by the east leg of Line 1.
ynse_map_-_april_2022.jpg

Canada's Wonderland would be reached by the west leg of Line 1.

upload_2018-10-16_17-15-18-png.160650
I just realized he's talking about Langstaff, not Richmond Hill

Wouldn't this extension require a new northern yard (smaller than Downsview)? I don't see where that would go other than some vacant land around 10555 Yonge St. (seems wrong type of land use) or over by the Richmond Hill GO station parking lots.

York region has both the subways come up to Major Mackenzie in there 2023 transit masterplan
View attachment 466858

. Richmond hills Transit masterplan which is even more recent wants the subway to come to Elgin mills near the future proposed Go station

View attachment 466859

York region has both the subways come up to Major Mackenzie in there 2023 transit masterplan
View attachment 466858

. Richmond hills Transit masterplan which is even more recent wants the subway to come to Elgin mills near the future proposed Go station

View attachment 466859
In the future, Both legs to mack Could make sense depending on the developments that occur but for now, I support the left leg to Mack with a station at Rutherford and Langstaff for Vaughan Mills, Wonderland. On the Yonge's leg, I believe Carville/Rutherford is dense enough for a station, but not north of that.

There should be no subway to Major Mack. Ridiculous.
I disagree. In terms of long range planning, there is nothing inherintly against going up to Major Mack. Both ends have some trip generators- mostly on the YUS side with Wonderland, Vaughan Mills and the hospital, and would get fairly close to RH “village” on the Yonge line.

Additionally, consider all existing lines terminate in neighbourhoods that are largely less dense than the newer subdivisions in York Region around Major Mack. Go 500m outside of NYCC, Etobicoke CC, etc and it’s just mid century sprawl; the worst kind. If the eastern leg uses the RH GO corridor, then it’s a lower cost alternative to upgrading the GO Line itself.

Perhaps a commute to downtown via line 1 from Major Mack is silly, but I think the goal is to provide local/transfer connectivity. York Regions core cities are all “edge cities”, intended to keep people working within them (as best you can when bordering Toronto). So, many of these northerly Line 1 trips might never go much further south than Hwy 7 or Steeles. And as long as they are paying for the extensions, who cares? Everyone in the GTHA would benefit from a direct rail connection to Canada’s Wonderland or Vaughan Mills.

Now what is more questionable is the notion of an LRT/BRT on Major Mack itself. I can see the latter, but it’s far too early to say we should build an LRT here. The Subway must come first. Don’t misconstrue this as me saying we should prioritize extending Line 1 to Major Mack though; it is definetely one of the last things we should build, but build nonetheless.

I disagree. In terms of long range planning, there is nothing inherintly against going up to Major Mack. Both ends have some trip generators- mostly on the YUS side with Wonderland, Vaughan Mills and the hospital, and would get fairly close to RH “village” on the Yonge line.

Additionally, consider all existing lines terminate in neighbourhoods that are largely less dense than the newer subdivisions in York Region around Major Mack. Go 500m outside of NYCC, Etobicoke CC, etc and it’s just mid century sprawl; the worst kind. If the eastern leg uses the RH GO corridor, then it’s a lower cost alternative to upgrading the GO Line itself.

Perhaps a commute to downtown via line 1 from Major Mack is silly, but I think the goal is to provide local/transfer connectivity. York Regions core cities are all “edge cities”, intended to keep people working within them (as best you can when bordering Toronto). So, many of these northerly Line 1 trips might never go much further south than Hwy 7 or Steeles. And as long as they are paying for the extensions, who cares? Everyone in the GTHA would benefit from a direct rail connection to Canada’s Wonderland or Vaughan Mills.

Now what is more questionable is the notion of an LRT/BRT on Major Mack itself. I can see the latter, but it’s far too early to say we should build an LRT here. The Subway must come first. Don’t misconstrue this as me saying we should prioritize extending Line 1 to Major Mack though; it is definetely one of the last things we should build, but build nonetheless.
its BRT not LRT along Maj Mack. Vaughan is a major pusher for it to be built

Also The hospital in Vaughan York university has plans for building towers on the site for Student learning

I would agree, except Maple GO is close to Wonderland already and GO RER will carry much more people and be much easier to expand in the future IMO. I think these are edge cities as you say, but NYCC and SCC were built with the same purpose and didn't work out. I support the BRT on Major Mack for now and would encourage people to use local transit to Highway 7, where the subway currently is. I think people want to get rid of the Richmond Hill GO Line, because of the difficulty in expansion.

weren't you on the Go service thread saying that we need to use some sort of stats to prove if Milton should get all day go transit funding. It is one of the busiest lines. Now over here you are advocating for long range planning to major mack as a subway. The most expensive form of transit construction. This to me is a problem. Everyone gets out their papers and pens and starts to make maps that suit them. Then we move stat goal posts around to justify said positions. Then wherever the votes are we build there no matter the costs.

Why not just be honest to begin with and say were building where the votes are no matter how many other places get skipped over because we already spent the money. Dont worry... You can reapply to our phase 53 funding.

weren't you on the Go service thread saying that we need to use some sort of stats to prove if Milton should get all day go transit funding. It is one of the busiest lines. Now over here you are advocating for long range planning to major mack as a subway. The most expensive form of transit construction. This to me is a problem. Everyone gets out their papers and pens and starts to make maps that suit them. Then we move stat goal posts around to justify said positions. Then wherever the votes are we build there no matter the costs.

Why not just be honest to begin with and say were building where the votes are no matter how many other places get skipped over because we already spent the money. Dont worry... You can reapply to our phase 53 funding.
I’m not changing my tune. Milton expansion is also in long term plans. That indicates nothing about funding and priority. I said extending to Major Mack should be one of our last priorities, but is worth doing someday. I would put Milton before it. Does Mississauga/Peel’s TMP include a Milton RER? I genuinely don’t know, but if it does, that just indicates the municipality thinks it’s a long term goal.

The case for going to major Mack doesn’t exist today. But by 2050 it likely will. It’s a regional plan, it’s effectively a visioning document. I’m just saying that there is validity to the concept.

In truth, it doesn’t even have to be Line 1 to Major Mack. It’s what we have been presented. Instead, for costs sake, In the west it can be whatever form of RT Jane gets, and in the east it could be RH GO. But that’s a non-starter. If you want RT on these corridors in 30 years, extending Line 1 is a good placeholder concept for that.

Edit: TLDR: Project viability and it’s priority are different things.

Last edited:
I would agree, except Maple GO is close to Wonderland already and GO RER will carry much more people and be much easier to expand in the future IMO. I think these are edge cities as you say, but NYCC and SCC were built with the same purpose and didn't work out. I support the BRT on Major Mack for now and would encourage people to use local transit to Highway 7, where the subway currently is. I think people want to get rid of the Richmond Hill GO Line, because of the difficulty in expansion.
As I said In my post above, RT to Jane/MM is a reasonable long term priority. It doesn’t have to be Line 1, but that’s what we’re shown and discussing here. Maple is a bit out of the way for this function, since we like to designate specific corridors for transit.

Let’s not overthink the 2022 RTP… anything projecting out to 2050 is more or less a reflection of modern attitudes and has almost no bearing on future problems or actions. All these lines on a map suggest is that more RT to MM is going to be needed in 30 years. And I think that’s true.

As I said In my post above, RT to Jane/MM is a reasonable long term priority. It doesn’t have to be Line 1, but that’s what we’re shown and discussing here. Maple is a bit out of the way for this function, since we like to designate specific corridors for transit.

Let’s not overthink the 2022 RTP… anything projecting out to 2050 is more or less a reflection of modern attitudes and has almost no bearing on future problems or actions. All these lines on a map suggest is that more RT to MM is going to be needed in 30 years. And I think that’s true.
Fair enough, let's see what happens. Less cars is good.

Back