Toronto West Block Est. 1928, The LakeShore, and The LakeFront | 130.75m | 41s | Choice Properties | a—A

Okay, two supplemental questions:

1) How did she know that Gristle was in the crowd? Did she recognize him (him?) or just from the posting?

2) Gristle, are you formally part of the "planning community" - ie, a planner - or does that just stem from the fact that on UT, we're all sorta part of a planning community? (Or at least a carping-about-planning community...)

Okay, two supplemental questions:

1) How did she know that Gristle was in the crowd? Did she recognize him (him?) or just from the posting?

2) Gristle, are you formally part of the "planning community" - ie, a planner - or does that just stem from the fact that on UT, we're all sorta part of a planning community? (Or at least a carping-about-planning community...)

As noted earlier, she does not know me, nor I her. I've never spoken to Kimberly Spice on this or any other topic. I highly covet my covert "gristle" handle, and have not shared it with anyone. That being said, all I can say is that my words appear to be quoted without sufficient attribution to the place where they were written: Urban Toronto.

I am not part of the planning community. I am a resident of King-Spadina and I attended the meeting primarily to watch the presentation regarding the Minto-Freed development planned for the Bathurst-Front Street land.

Aside from that, I'm a UT geek like the rest of you. Someone interested in the urban development of this city. I'm happy to share what I know here because there are people interested in those contributions. Just as I am happy to learn what others know and think about such activities.

You guys weren't kidding - she really does appear to be naked, which is rather baffling for a professional profile picture. Nevertheless, that is one saucy vixen I'd hit. ;)

Mm. She doesn't do anything for me.

There - did I claw a little bit of ground back?

I did it.

I tried to contact you via the Urban Toronto site to request your correct contact name and attribution details but was unable to navigate the registration procedures sufficiently to send a private message over the site.

I agree that it was lazy (on my part) in that I did not have enough time to get permission before using the comments. Let's talk about how to make the correction. I can remove it entirely, I can publish a separate correction, or I can give accurate attribution, plus more from you on the project.

Very truly yours,

Anisa Lancione
Managing Editor
anisa.lancione@communitybulletin.ca
Direct: 416.929.0011 ext. 4

Further to this point, I welcome commentary and submissions related to our articles. We're preparing stories on the new application for the First Parliament site, Metrolinx plans for CityPlace, accessibility modifications for Downtown polling places, and condo applications for Ward 27. Timely discussion of public information (prior to the community meetings) would help our readers make an informed decision to attend and participate. Our resources are limited (as you no doubt know) so participation by members this forum, as interested and educated observers, would be beneficial to the neighbourhoods we cover.

Kim, I am sorry to have exposed you to this. I'll use sidebars in the future, when I have additions to your work. UT folks: Kim had no part in the usage of the quotation from this board. Please redirect your ire towards me. I'm much less attractive.

Since it was my quote that was lifted, I'll just start by saying that I don't mind remaining anonymous. I certainly did attend the meeting in question, but I am a resident of the King-Spadina neighbourhood and not a member of the planning community (not a professional planner). The source of the quote should be properly attributed to "a member" of the popular Urban Toronto site (urbantoronto.ca). My comments were made here for the membership of this forum, and not made during the meeting in question.

Adam Vaughan is supportive of the project, but has stated that planning (most likely HPS) has a problem with it. No word officially though into a recommendation is made to Council:

http://www.yongestreetmedia.ca/devnews/lakeshoreloblaw0209.aspx

What's the problem with dismantling a heritage building and then rebuilding it? It's called precedence. You allow a few developers to get away with it, it becomes standard. It has no respect for the building's original intention and design. The greenest brick is the one that stands.

The problem is that Loblaw can state that the building can't be salvaged or re-adapted, but no one really knows for sure. It's not like the City has the resources to go in and do their own investigation. And that's another problem.

The problem is that Loblaw can state that the building can't be salvaged or re-adapted, but no one really knows for sure.

What, oh my have you seen it lately..wire bands holding part of the facade together, there is water stains and deteriorated bricks all around the building, it also most likely needs a new roof, let alone everything else inside.:eek:

What I find interesting, having followed this project since the original Weston application for the rezoning application that eventually led to the condo approval on the balance of the parcel, is the evident shift in how the "community" feels about the project.

I chalk this up to the sea change in the composition of the population of the area over the last decade.

When the application to repurpose the building was first brought forward (and I will try to dig our article on this out of the archives) community feelings were against the destruction of the building. Today's residents--who per Kim's reporting on the meeting, which she attended and covered accurately, despite my attempts to augment her piece--seem to be happier to see one of the last derelict holdouts at that intersection being brought into this century. It would be telling to poll attendees of this and other community meetings to find out how long they have lived in the area, and how they sit on heritage protection and preservation's role in development.

What, oh my have you seen it lately..wire bands holding part of the facade together, there is water stains and deteriorated bricks all around the building, it also most likely needs a new roof, let alone everything else inside.

Still needs qualified assessment. Heritage conservation has come along way.

Back