News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 549     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Toronto Wayfinding Strategy (City of Toronto, Design Phase)

To me, that makes sense, as that way is South.

Agreed. It actually works in this case because the map is oriented in the exact direction the person is facing, and the arrow on the "you are here" mark is pointing the exact direction that the viewer is facing.

A compass would be nice though, just so people know that they are facing South.

Agreed. It actually works in this case because the map is oriented in the exact direction the person is facing, and the arrow on the "you are here" mark is pointing the exact direction that the viewer is facing.

A compass would be nice though, just so people know that they are facing South.

The lower map has a compass, and it does say "Facing South" at the bottom (the last picture)

The lower map has a compass, and it does say "Facing South" at the bottom (the last picture)

Ah! Would be nice if it was closer to the graphic, since that is where your eyes are immediately drawn to. Regardless, I don't see the orientation of the map as an issue at all.

At one of the public events put on by Toronto 360 wayfinding, the guest speaker mentioned how they have done research and people are able to find their way faster and more accurately when the map is oriented to their perspective rather than with north always being at the top.

We're lucky that we can draw on all the work that's been done developing wayfinding systems elsewhere (usually in harder cities in navigate than Toronto).

Transit isn't represented very helpfully on these maps. If I'm a visitor, I not only want to know where the subway stations are, but where they actually go. In the above map, you have to actually look at the separate numbers on the subway station names to know that, because the numbers are the same at King, Queen, and Dundas, the trains at those stations run north-south. Putting a schematic of the line route on the map would mitigate that.

Disagree, that's not the function of wayfinding signage on the street. This map should lead a visitor to the subway, where they can then consult a subway map. Drawing a line between the grand total of 3 stations visible on this map would serve little purpose anyway. (It's visible on the smaller area map though, as you can see at the top of the page).

Wayfinding is less about presenting a user with every single possible piece of information they could ever need and more about directing them to that information as they need it. That's why highway exits don't list every single connecting road.

Last edited:

The compass should probably be made the same red as the walking radius so it's more noticeable. I forgot to mention that in my feedback so maybe someone else can do it, haha.

Moving on...

Request for Proposal
ecblank.gif
Call number: 0801-17-7161
Commodity:
Professional Services, Consulting Services
Description:
Toronto 360 Wayfinding System Implementation Roster
Toronto 360 Wayfinding System Implementation Roster.
Issue date: May 1, 2017
ecblank.gif
Closing date: May 26, 2017
at 12:00 Noon
Notes:
Viewing Copy
pdf.gif
0801-17-7161 Viewing Copy.pdf (1127 Kbytes) - Posted on 05/01/2017 12:10:31 PM
The addenda and/or other files listed above are included with the Call Document purchase price but must be downloaded as separate documents. To view the document, click on its filename. To save it to your workstation, right-click on the document's filename,then select "Save Target As..." (or "Save Link As...").

and

This is a secure site
bnr-profserv2.jpg

Request for Proposal
ecblank.gif
Call number: 9144-17-7145
Commodity:
Professional Services, Transportation - Travel and Moving Services
Description:
Toronto 360 Wayfinding System Implementation
Toronto 360 Wayfinding System Implementation
Issue date: May 1, 2017
ecblank.gif
Closing date: May 25, 2017
at 12:00 Noon
Notes:
Viewing Copy
pdf.gif
9144-17-7145 VIEWING COPY .pdf (1189 Kbytes) - Posted on 05/01/2017 03:11:11 PM
The addenda and/or other files listed above are included with the Call Document purchase price but must be downloaded as separate documents. To view the document, click on its filename. To save it to your workstation, right-click on the document's filename,then select "Save Target As..." (or "Save Link As...").

Back