Toronto Velocity at the Square | 122.52m | 40s | HNR | P + S / IBI

Yesterday afternoon:
IMG_1756.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1756.jpg
    IMG_1756.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 948
That's a lot of ugly buildings in one photo :(

This is why I don't understand all the disappointment and contempt in this building. It is not like the city is full of interesting designs. This one is not any uglier than most of the those on the waterfront or entertainment district. It is just one of Toronto's typical design, not even among the bottom 50%. It blends well into all our mediocre downtown architecture.

This is why I don't understand all the disappointment and contempt in this building. It is not like the city is full of interesting designs. This one is not any uglier than most of the those on the waterfront or entertainment district. It is just one of Toronto's typical design, not even among the bottom 50%. It blends well into all our mediocre downtown architecture.

how can you possibly say this isn't one of the ugliest towers to go up in the last 15 years? "Interesting" should not be confused with good or exceptional either. There's a lot of interesting, one of a kind, buildings out that probably shouldn't have been built.

This is why I don't understand all the disappointment and contempt in this building. It is not like the city is full of interesting designs.

The disappointment is that this building, given its prime and highly visible location, could have and should have been much better. As you said, "it is not like the city is full of interesting designs", which is why a lot of us are fed up with mediocrity like this.

I think the question is more: 'how can a single person be so wrong about so many different things?'

Do you want to have coffee with me or something? You seem obsessed with commenting on ME personally, instead of on buildings.

The disappointment is that this building, given its prime and highly visible location, could have and should have been much better. As you said, "it is not like the city is full of interesting designs", which is why a lot of us are fed up with mediocrity like this.
how can you possibly say this isn't one of the ugliest towers to go up in the last 15 years? "Interesting" should not be confused with good or exceptional either. There's a lot of interesting, one of a kind, buildings out that probably shouldn't have been built.

Of course this building is ... aweful. No question about it. What I am saying is, these kind of buildings are practically everywhere in downtown, and there is no reason to be particularly offended by it. Is there anything that's worth looking at nearby? 10 Dundas East? Atrium on Bay? That dreadful OMNI TV building? 277 Victoria? Bond Hotel? YD Square itself? 1 Dundas? ALL of them are either boring or ugly. "velocity" doesn't exactly stand out as an eyesore, does it? Or we can walk along Dundas toward east or west, and see if there is tall building that can be considered better than this one? None.

Of course it is a waste opportunity for this location, but I am afraid even a spectacular master piece can't save this dreadful intersection.

Back