Toronto Union Subway Station: Second Platform and Concourse Improvements | ?m | ?s | TTC | IBI Group

Just a guess, but there's no extra strength gained by filling in the parts of the wall that aren't underneath the joists, and it's probably much cheaper to fill in the spaces in between the columns with drywall studs and sheetrock.

I'm a little confused about this project. When this is done will there be two north-eastbound platforms to Finch and two north-westbound platforms to Downsview (so 4 separate platforms), or is the platform just being widened.

Neither. They're adding one new platform to the south, and putting a glass wall on the south side of the existing platform. The current platform will then become an exclusive Downsview-northbound platform, and the new south platform will be an exlusive Finch-northbound track

Just a guess, but there's no extra strength gained by filling in the parts of the wall that aren't underneath the joists, and it's probably much cheaper to fill in the spaces in between the columns with drywall studs and sheetrock.

it's pretty funny that you think the TTC is going to even do that. expect to stare at these bare concrete pillars for the next 40 years.

And where do the workers at track level get to stand? With the extra thickness of those columns they would likely not clear a train.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Underneath the platform, just like they do at pretty much every other station.

They never stand under the edge of the platform. In fact, it may be against the rules to do so.

Those yellow cages between the tracks, or against the wall at the island platforms? That's where they are supposed to stand.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

They never stand under the edge of the platform. In fact, it may be against the rules to do so.

Those yellow cages between the tracks, or against the wall at the island platforms? That's where they are supposed to stand.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Perhaps it's changed, but the only stations where standing under the platform is allowed are Queen's Park and St. Patrick as they have a deep pit under the platform edge specifically for workers at track level as the round walls on the other side make it impossible to stand on the outside of the tracks.

Neither. They're adding one new platform to the south, and putting a glass wall on the south side of the existing platform. The current platform will then become an exclusive Downsview-northbound platform, and the new south platform will be an exlusive Finch-northbound track

Since Yonge Station platform gets this added platform thing next it may be a similar setup. The new south platform would be for the eastbounders, and the current one will be for the westbounders. And with half of the passengers prompted to use the new south platform, that's less people that would have to move further down.

That's kind of funny, because I've worked for the TTC, had my subway rulebook training, and was specifically told to stand under the platform. I have a vivid recollection of standing under the platform at Warden while a train came in. Going to the wall would generally mean having to step over the third rail, which they try to discourage as much as possible.

Edit: And yes, I know, I know, the board over top of the third rail is safe to step on wherever it's painted yellow, but they still prefer that you not step over/on it unless you can't avoid it.

Last edited:
Since Yonge Station platform gets this added platform thing next it may be a similar setup. The new south platform would be for the eastbounders, and the current one will be for the westbounders. And with half of the passengers prompted to use the new south platform, that's less people that would have to move further down.

If your talking about Bloor/Yonge station I think the problem is twofold. First the station is literally adjacent, if not beneath, the buildings surrounding it. Unlike Union which isn't on the south end. Second, adding the second platform would mean adding two new escalators and elevators. One for the Northbound platform and one for the Southbound platform, and this means making a wider platform.

That still doesn't solve the major issue at that station. And that is the hordes of riders trying to board rammed southbound trains in the morning, and disembark northbound trains in the evening.

Whoops!

a7430f024bbf92069ac02ee6f9e7.jpg

word is now it could have been an unmarked watermain...

We have "unmarked watermains?!?!?!"

"So how does the water get from here to there?"

"Well we're not really sure. I know it goes somewhere on Front Street, but uh, we're not really sure where! It's not like it could ever be a problem."

It's funny as I was in the train that pulled in right when the sewer line burst into Union in 2010. I got out of the train and then all of the sudden water started gushing from the ceiling. Then a huge torrent of water came gushing down the escalator and I was like "abandon ship!".

Back