Toronto Union Subway Station: Second Platform and Concourse Improvements | ?m | ?s | TTC | IBI Group

That statement doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

I can tell you from first hand dealing on the Waterfront EA and design, TTC and the City try everything they could to kill transit on one side, as well drown grade the whole thing.

With very little funding coming from the city for the Queens Quay first phase of construction, as well Cherry St, TTC will be designing their system as cheap as possible. TTC even rule out grass in the ROW for all kinds of reasons, as it would add to the cost of building it.

WT was a strong backer on both lines, but in the end $$ do the talking with WT being not happy about it.

Latest progress of the north wall. Some pillars are taking shape at the west end.

Union.jpg

Attachments

• Union.jpg
    Union.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 638
I'm a bit confused by the work on the north wall since I had thought that other than esthetic improvements they wouldn't have touched that side but I guess the support for the roof wasn't enough once stairs and supports shift south on the platform.

20120121_211307.jpg

North Wall as of last night.

Attachments

• 20120121_211307.jpg
    20120121_211307.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 485
No pictures unfortunately as my battery was dead, but some of the forms have been taken down and the columns are visible.

Feb 02;
The north wall is being reinforce so the box will not flip when the 2nd platform is built.

The southbound signal to the platform has been moved to the platform and crews were working on the new one at the east end yesterday.
6812745005_966b7c9103_b.jpg

6812746991_353123fd48_b.jpg

6812743869_03f4958f61_b.jpg

So is the idea here, that once the new platform is completed that knock out the walls between these new columns?

What I don't understand is, why use discrete columns instead of just making the whole wall thicker? Seems like a lot of extra fuss-work. Did they need to maintain refuge spaces on the north side?

I'm a little confused about this project. When this is done will there be two north-eastbound platforms to Finch and two north-westbound platforms to Downsview (so 4 separate platforms), or is the platform just being widened.

Back