Toronto Union Subway Station: Second Platform and Concourse Improvements | ?m | ?s | TTC | IBI Group

I think having it walled off will increase the usable space, since with a wall to back up against people will actually use the entire width of the platform

I think having it walled off will increase the usable space, since with a wall to back up against people will actually use the entire width of the platform

makes sense. forgot you regular folk like to lean against things. ;)

Also, they are shifting all the accesses to the south edge of the platform so that there is more clearance space. As a result, the walling off became necessary.

they need it...

You can get some really serious overcrowding at that station...

I don't think it's going to be a true wall though. I remember seeing glass separating the platforms.

unionstation_large.jpg

I'm very glad to hear that the TTC is doing some value engineering, though the amount of time they're spending on it suggests that it might be costing a fair bit itself. I wish they'd send some value engineers up to look at the subway extensions.

Thanks jks.

What is really needed here is some forward thinking. In another 10 years, they're going to need yet another platform if the Yonge line is extended.

They should carve into the walls on each side, resulting on one loading platform for each way and one shared central platform to unload passengers. When a train arrives, doors open to the unloading platform first, then open on the other side to let new passengers in.

I guess you can say by building this wall in glass, it'll be easier to do this than if they bricked it up, but I sure hope they're taking other measures necessary to begin building a third platform soon after they're done with this new second one.

i can picture people pressing their bare bottoms or breasts against the glass wall.

p.s, is it even possible for this configuration?

======================platform
----------------------------track
----------------------------track

do they have the space?

I don't believe there's any space to the north of the station for an additional platform - it would run into the support columns of the Royal York and Royal Bank Plaza. It might be doable if they shift the tracks to the south but that would be an incredible investment.

So if a new line were to run through Union, they'd probably have to build underneat the current platform?

couldn't they use the same platforms?

sbino3.jpg

couldn't they use the same platforms?
Physically yes. But by doing so they could not achieve the current frequence on the Yonge Line. So there would be a reduced frequency - however the plan is to increase the frequency on the Yonge Line. So the practical answer is no.

If they ever did it, they would have to go under ... which would pretty much make the current platform a complete waste of money, if they dig the whole thing up again in a few years.

Though if they did - I'd like to see a set-up like Lionel-Groulx (or Snowdon) in Montreal, where there is one huge, wide, centre island, and each line is on 2 levels; so for the most common change, you just walk across the platform. But yes, I know I'm smoking something if I ever think it would happen.

Physically yes. But by doing so they could not achieve the current frequence on the Yonge Line. So there would be a reduced frequency - however the plan is to increase the frequency on the Yonge Line. So the practical answer is no.

aren't they supposed to get some high tech automated control system to allow for really efficient track switching, train frequencies, etc. ?

wouldn't that compensate for any lost time due to human control?

Back