Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

It seems you have to go outside to get from the train station to the newly renovated subway station. Is that just temporary?

It seems you have to go outside to get from the train station to the newly renovated subway station. Is that just temporary?

Are you talking about the moat? Eventually I think there's supposed to be a roof over top but I think it will still be open air like it always has been.

It will be enclosed. The plans are in the dataBase file.

From a few days ago.

union station.jpg

Attachments

• union station.jpg
    union station.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2,869
It's starting to look like an actual street again! Thanks for the pics!

Any updates on the opening of the York Concourse? I remember a month or two ago the target was "late October". Just wondering if there's been a more firm date announced yet.

According to this, it's now "Early 2015"

Actually that links says TWO dates!

1. In late 2014, GO Transit will officially open the York Concourse on the west side of Union Station.

2, GO Transit Assumes York Concourse/Closure of Bay Concourse: Early 2015

I guess we will just need to be patient - OK, I know we are not good at that but ....

I'm hoping they put in some Silva Cells on the north side of Front before planting the new trees.
The previous "trees" in front of the Royal York were a disgrace.

I'm hoping they put in some Silva Cells on the north side of Front before planting the new trees.
The previous "trees" in front of the Royal York were a disgrace.
The City does not seem to "do" Silva Cells (WT are big on them) but they are starting to have continuous tree trenches and/or porous brickwork. They did both on Front Street East and The Esplanade last year. The problem is that there are normally too many wires and pipes under the sidewalks - though from the photos above and observation the area at Royal York seems fairly clear of "stuff".

A new City contract just posted:

Union Station Front Street Plaza Clock Restoration

The purpose of this RFP is to select a qualified Vendor with the proven skills, resources and relevant experience to restore the exterior heritage clock that sat on the Front Street Plaza, outside of Union Station. (See: https://wx.toronto.ca/inter/pmmd/calls.nsf/0/72C721427D4FCA0185257D35006AD008?OpenDocument ) I must admit I had forgotten this clock existed, I think it was removed when they started the plaza restoration MANY years ago.

For some reason the original tender call has been cancelled and it has been re-posted at: https://wx.toronto.ca/inter/pmmd/calls.nsf/0/521BC3C7F1BEEB5C85257D6600612E38?OpenDocument The new closing date is October 27th.

The City does not seem to "do" Silva Cells (WT are big on them) but they are starting to have continuous tree trenches and/or porous brickwork. They did both on Front Street East and The Esplanade last year. The problem is that there are normally too many wires and pipes under the sidewalks - though from the photos above and observation the area at Royal York seems fairly clear of "stuff".

Walked along Front today and was pleasantly surprised to see that they ARE installing silva cells along the wall of the Royal York. Trees may actually live!

Back