Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

I normally check TTC's twitter handle before I even step underground. Good way to know if you should try an alternate route.
Everyone will not (and should not!) be standing around subway entrances checking Twitter - a few well-placed signs would be much better for most people.

Signs at the entrance, during normal running, could say "trains running every ~ 3 minutes," (or whatever the dispatch interval at Finch at the time is) but if there were a delay of some kind, then the signs could relay that info. As long as the signs show the interval and not the time of the next arrival, then everyone is informed, and no-one runs.

In any case, the Line 5 stations may have digital signage at every underground station.

1622742675770.png

Agreed, having signage visible from OUTSIDE the fare paid zone in subway stations warning of breakdowns or shut-downs would be good but the number of these is really not large (though certainly annoying if one is caught in one!)
TransLink started installing those for SkyTrain a couple years ago (as well as better platform signs). I think they are complete now.

I was at Union Station yesterday and noticed that one set of double doors has now been installed between the Bay Moat and the TTC 'foyer' area and they were working on the second set. Nice glass doors too. They are also tidying up some of the temporary partitions inside the Bay Concourse - I suspect it will open sooner than later - though we have all been saying that for months!

I was at Union Station yesterday and noticed that one set of double doors has now been installed between the Bay Moat and the TTC 'foyer' area and they were working on the second set. Nice glass doors too. They are also tidying up some of the temporary partitions inside the Bay Concourse - I suspect it will open sooner than later - though we have all been saying that for months!

Looks up ^^^^ Looks down vvvv

Progress report at: http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2021.GL22.19

"the project is expected to be substantially complete by the end of April 2021."

Pffft

Last edited:
From what I can see, it is substantially complete. They are working on very minor things now... hopefully painting the ceiling will be one of those minor things soon! I'm curious if they will build new partitions to block all the individual retail spaces, or if they will attach doors that come down to close them in. I think the main reason the GO Bay concourse hall isn't open at this point is that there is no pressing need.

From what I can see, it is substantially complete. They are working on very minor things now... hopefully painting the ceiling will be one of those minor things soon! I'm curious if they will build new partitions to block all the individual retail spaces, or if they will attach doors that come down to close them in. I think the main reason the GO Bay concourse hall isn't open at this point is that there is no pressing need.

I investigated further.

I am told that 'substantial completion' including painting that ceiling in the Front Street Promenade should be complete by month's end.

However, this does not include the Great Hall lighting.

Nor does it mean Mx will open their concourse space (probably sometime this fall)..........

Nor that we will see much more retail..........the large remaining section (below VIA) is looking to be open in early 2022 it seems.

I investigated further.

I am told that 'substantial completion' including painting that ceiling in the Front Street Promenade should be complete by month's end.

However, this does not include the Great Hall lighting.

Nor does it mean Mx will open their concourse space (probably sometime this fall)..........

Nor that we will see much more retail..........the large remaining section (below VIA) is looking to be open in early 2022 it seems.
I thought Great Hall lighting was part of the project, and that it was planned to be one of the last tasks. Also, it's pretty notable that Great Hall floor restoration is currently 'outstanding', according to the latest status report.

I thought Great Hall lighting was part of the project, and that it was planned to be one of the last tasks. Also, it's pretty notable that Great Hall floor restoration is currently 'outstanding', according to the latest status report.

It's on the to-do list, but not this month.

Back