Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

What was there just prior to demolition was likely not original. Even if it was, it would be better off being restored/replaced given that it was not well maintained over the years.

The problem is, there isn't much even when it was original - it's a very utilitarian space. I think the best we can expect is maybe something along the lines of the Winnipeg Union Station departure area?

http://www.bridgmancollaborative.ca/via-rail-canada-facility-assessment-study-and-renovations.html

AoD

Last edited:
I see they have retained the woodwork for all the display windows back in the old arrivals corridors. Wonder how that will look when they are done. Those back hallways have always been pretty dark and dreary.

- Paul

I see they have retained the woodwork for all the display windows back in the old arrivals corridors. Wonder how that will look when they are done. Those back hallways have always been pretty dark and dreary.

- Paul

They are called vitrines and are original to the station much like the former taxi wicket located at the exit to the moat midway between the arrivals area and the York Concourse. Both of these were restored as they fall under heritage protection.

Originally the vitrines were used by companies to display their wares to people arriving in Toronto. People like Eatons, Kresge, Hudsons Bay even CP and CN would promote their goods and services in them in the hopes people would shop with them while in Toronto.

The former taxi wicket was never used but the thinking was that you would get a ticket from the wicket and a taxi would arrive via the moat. My understanding is that this idea never proved successful because people ended up boarding taxis on Front St.

The Toronto Railway Historical Association had attempted to use the vitrines as display cases for railway artifacts but I believe that fell through when the revitalization started. They basically kicked out the TRHA (who had storage at Union Station) in favor of paying tenants. There was talk to have a railway heritage display at the station but that has since fallen through I believe.

- Paul

I always wondered why the lighting was not better in that hallway but it may have to do with the fact it is an exit hallway . There is simply no reason for people to stay there for any long periods so why bother lighting it.

With that said, bear with them I am sure the conditions down there will get better but things are going to get worse before they get better.

Richard, did anyone preserve any of the equipment from the old telewriting boxes (the technology has a name but I forget it) that connected the station to the interlocking towers? I'm old enough to remember those things. They were fun to watch..... basically an analog "bionic hand" that allowed longhand written messages to be sent between locations. It was used in part to give the porters and station staff a heads up as each incoming train approached the depot - in the era before handheld radios.

- Paul

Richard, did anyone preserve any of the equipment from the old telewriting boxes (the technology has a name but I forget it) that connected the station to the interlocking towers? I'm old enough to remember those things. They were fun to watch..... basically an analog "bionic hand" that allowed longhand written messages to be sent between locations. It was used in part to give the porters and station staff a heads up as each incoming train approached the depot - in the era before handheld radios.

- Paul
You got the term right: "Telewriting". I'd forgotten all about those, albeit I might be a couple of years younger than you, but not much:
Telewriting is a telephone system based medium, with a history that dates back to the late 1800's. The medium was a simple one, by today's standards. Two machines were attached electronically via a telephone connection. An individual could draw or write at one end, with the motions duplicated on the machine at the other end. The effect was to write in one place and have a copy made at the other. The telewriting industry was always a niche industry, but grew somewhat steadily into the 1960's, when facsimile machines provided a more versatile alternative. The industry persisted into the 1980's, when microcomputer-based telewriting systems finally put the industry out of its misery.

Oddly enough, the term telewriting has made something of a comeback in describing a similar medium that is enabled by the internet, screens and tablets. Indeed, it is the title of a 1993 Taylor and Saarinen book (http://www.wmin.ac.uk/media/technowhore/theory/medhurst/ch 5.html). [...]
http://evolutionarymedia.com/cgi-bin/wiki.cgi?TeleWriting,template.html

If any examples can found of the machines, they really should be on display. I'm now intrigued as to how the image was encoded/decoded, most probably a time based multiplex.

Edit to Add: Digging on a technical explanation, here's a great description under a related name (and this might be the one Paul was thinking of):
  1. Telautograph
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

An early telautograph
    The telautograph, an analog precursor to the modern fax machine, transmits electrical impulses recorded by potentiometers at the sending station to servomechanisms attached to a pen at the receiving station, thus reproducing at the receiving station a drawing or signature made by the sender. It was the first such device to transmit drawings to a stationary sheet of paper; previous inventions in Europe had used rotating drums to make such transmissions.

The telautograph's invention is attributed to Elisha Gray, who patented it on July 31, 1888. Gray's patent stated that the telautograph would allow "one to transmit his own handwriting to a distant point over a two-wire circuit." It was the first facsimile machine in which the stylus was controlled by horizontal and vertical bars.[1] The telautograph was first publicly exhibited at the 1893 World's Columbian Exposition held in Chicago.

Telautograph patent schema
    In an 1888 interview in The Manufacturer & Builder (Vol. 24: No. 4: pages 85–86) Gray made this statement:[2]

By my invention you can sit down in your office in Chicago, take a pencil in your hand, write a message to me, and as your pencil moves, a pencil here in my laboratory moves simultaneously, and forms the same letters and words in the same way. What you write in Chicago is instantly reproduced here in fac-simile. You may write in any language, use a code or cipher, no matter, a fac-simile is produced here. If you want to draw a picture it is the same, the picture is reproduced here. The artist of your newspaper can, by this device, telegraph his pictures of a railway wreck or other occurrences just as a reporter telegraphs his description in words.

The inventor Elisha Gray
    By the end of the 19th century, the telautograph was modified by Foster Ritchie. Calling it the telewriter, Ritchie's version of the telautograph could be operated using a telephone line for simultaneous copying and speaking.[1]

The telautograph became very popular for the transmission of signatures over a distance, and in banks and large hospitals to ensure that doctors' orders and patient information were transmitted quickly and accurately. Teleautograph systems were installed in a number of major railroad stations to relay hand-written reports of train movements from the interlocking tower to various parts of the station.[3][4] The teleautograph network in Grand Central Terminal included a public display in the main concourse into the 1960s; a similar setup in Chicago Union Station remained in operation into the 1970s.[citation needed]

Sample work of telautograph
    A Telautograph was used in 1911 to warn workers on the 10th floor about the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory fire that had broken out two floors below. An example of a Telautograph machine writing script can be seen in the 1956 movie Earth vs the Flying Saucers as the output device for the mechanical translator.

Telautograph Corporation changed its name several times. In 1971, it was acquired by Arden/Mayfair. In 1993, Danka Industries purchased the company and renamed it Danka/Omnifax. In 1999, Xerox corporation purchased the company and called it the Omnifax division, which has since been absorbed by the corporation.

References
  2. The worldwide history of telecommunications. Wiley-IEEE.
  3. "Elisha Gray Deserves Top Billing In Brownsville History". Glenn Tunney.
  4. Chicago, Illinois. Reading the teleautograph in the trainmaster's office of the Union Station. The messages originate in the interlocking tower and are carried to teleautographs in various parts of the station; the trainmaster's office, the passenger agent's office, information desk, etc., photograph by Jack Delano, Feb. 1943 Feb., Farm Security Administration - Office of War Information Photograph Collection (Library of Congress).
    Walter J. Armstrong, Mechanical and Electrical Equipment of the Toronto Union Station, Journal of the Engineering Institute of Canada, Vol. 4 (1921); pages 87-97, see particularly page 95.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telautograph

Note the very last reference!
Walter J. Armstrong, Mechanical and Electrical Equipment of the Toronto Union Station, Journal of the Engineering Institute of Canada, Vol. 4 (1921); pages 87-97, see particularly page 95.

And here it is! The book is fully intact and available at the link above. Absolutely fascinating reading:

upload_2017-1-29_14-10-29.png

Pics, technical description and more links here:
http://www.yesterdaysoffice.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=ShowArticle&articleid=27

Attachments

• upload_2017-1-29_14-10-29.png
    upload_2017-1-29_14-10-29.png
    98.1 KB · Views: 295
Last edited:

- Paul

Not entirely sure but there is a myriad of stuff that has been put in storage over the years. I would not be surprised if there is one that was put aside but then again.. it is also plausible that they were tossed in the 80s when early computers were brought in.

The only way to know is to dig through the archives so to speak. I personally have not see one but it is entirely possible there is one.

They not have released any renderings of the space, and it is restricted by heritage as to what they can do. Facelift or not, it's not likely to be all that spectacular. What it needed was complete demolition.

AoD

I walk through that space twice a day, and it looks like the only thing they are preserving is the old framing around the display cases and doors. Floors have been torn up, sections of wall tile have been removed right back to the old concrete and brick structure. In some of those places they've started to put up new aluminum wall studs. With the exception of that old framing it looks like they're doing a full gut job.

I walk through that space twice a day, and it looks like the only thing they are preserving is the old framing around the display cases and doors. Floors have been torn up, sections of wall tile have been removed right back to the old concrete and brick structure. In some of those places they've started to put up new aluminum wall studs. With the exception of that old framing it looks like they're doing a full gut job.

I wonder if there are any pics of the space when the station opened - can't seem to find any online.

AoD

Back