Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

Does anyone know if they'll be refurbishing or cleaning up the 'train shed' that runs across Bay St. here? It has a great, classic look; and with a good stripping and new coat of paint, it could look pretty sharp.
A brand new, bright, two-tone paint scheme would be nice!
A different color for accents or the protruding parts.

I'm wondering if they can take that wall out totally and do glass. Inside that wall is another wall made of brick. You'd never know that there's a view to be had from the platform itself. Or maybe if they can't remove the wall totally, (for heritage reasons or what not), at least punch some holes in it and let some natural light in.

Here's what this is projected to look like in the future… but remember, this is conceptual, and not necessarily representative of ultimate finishes (and in fact details such as the staircase up to the PATH bridge and ultimately the Park bridge have already been replaced by escalators in the plan).

141BayNWPlaza1280.jpg

Attachments

• 141BayNWPlaza1280.jpg
    141BayNWPlaza1280.jpg
    231.8 KB · Views: 1,523
Here's what this is projected to look like in the future… but remember, this is conceptual, and not necessarily representative of ultimate finishes (and in fact details such as the staircase up to the PATH bridge and ultimately the Park bridge have already been replaced by escalators in the plan). 42

As you say, this is 'only' a rendering and the stairs are being replaced by escalators so I really doubt that it will bear much resemblance to the final version. As far as I know, the walkway from 45/145 Bay shown will still be outside the existing wall, over Bay.

As you say, this is 'only' a rendering and the stairs are being replaced by escalators so I really doubt that it will bear much resemblance to the final version. As far as I know, the walkway from 45/145 Bay shown will still be outside the existing wall, over Bay.

This makes sense to me for two reasons:
  1. Metrolinx likely negotiated it to be part of the development; the private developer pays for 100% of the costs.
  2. You get a new walkway across Bay, from Union Station proper to the bus terminal, outside the fare zone (as Platform 3 was previously used, which is inside the fare zone).

A brand new, bright, two-tone paint scheme would be nice!
A different color for accents or the protruding parts.
Metrolinx and colour schemes - the new bilevel colours, the UPX sludge - hmm... Probably best if this is under City jurisdiction. Surely they can't do worse.

Back