Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

Yeah, that $29 figure doesn't have any citation, beyond it being "believed"... by somebody. That's probably the case. There's probably someone else out there who believes it will be $40. And another person who believes it will be $21.63.

This hatred of Toronto is hard to comprehend. It's not just coming from Vancouver, but the whole country. I really don't get it.

Very true, I hear it in spades here. When I tell people I'm moving to Toronto they think I'm nuts. Too big. Too dirty. Too crowded.

Most Winnipeggers see Toronto the same way, either on television or from the windows of the airport.

Very true, I hear it in spades here. When I tell people I'm moving to Toronto they think I'm nuts. Too big. Too dirty. Too crowded.

Most Winnipeggers see Toronto the same way, either on television or from the windows of the airport.

Tell them it's a lot warmer in the winter here ;) (which it is)

Every city has its stereotypes. When I think of Winnipeg, I think: too cold, too windy, too many mosquitoes.

I get the resentment of Toronto across the country. When I traveled to Vancouver, I turned on the TV to watch the news (a national feed) and it was full of Toronto news. If all they hear is about Toronto (instead of more about their own city), it can become easy to resent. I also don't think the rest of the country comprehends the population scales. Vancouver likes to see itself on the same scale as Toronto: greater Vancouver is about 2.5 million people; in contrast, greater Toronto is about 6.1 million. It's a huge difference.

I get the resentment of Toronto across the country. When I traveled to Vancouver, I turned on the TV to watch the news (a national feed) and it was full of Toronto news. If all they hear is about Toronto (instead of more about their own city), it can become easy to resent.

I have a point to make to this, but I don't think this is relevant to the thread.

I get the resentment of Toronto across the country. When I traveled to Vancouver, I turned on the TV to watch the news (a national feed) and it was full of Toronto news.

OT - They can always get themselves a crackmayor. That said, we didn't whine when it's Vancouver 2010 *everyday*.

AoD

Yeah, that $29 figure doesn't have any citation, beyond it being "believed"... by somebody. That's probably the case. There's probably someone else out there who believes it will be $40. And another person who believes it will be $21.63.

I'm with you. "Believed to be" is nowhere near "expected to be announced as ... according to". It's still just speculation, and I question why the Star felt it was important to speculate on an as yet unannounced fare when the crux of this piece of new is that the surcharge is being dropped and airport workers will get a discount.

In the end isn't that what people have been asking for? Drop the asinine surcharge and make it more affordable for airport employees.

Want snow? Go north to Barrie or south to Buffalo. When snow hits Toronto, its news at eleven.

Driving in any direction away from Toronto for an hour usually gets you to a place significantly colder & snowier than Toronto (ex. Waterloo).

Even Yonge & Sheppard seems to get more snow than Yonge & Eglinton. The outer suburbs like York Region seem significantly snowier & colder than downtown near the lake. At least, that's what I found..

they may hate all they want but their reasons sound stupid.

Toronto is not too big or too crowded. The entire GTA has only 6 million people, half or a third of many real large cities in the world. It needs to grow a lot and it will. But again some people even find Vancouver too big and too crowded.
Too dirty? I don't know, it is pretty clean to me, maybe dirty for someone from the rural areas.

I also don't think the rest of the country comprehends the population scales. Vancouver likes to see itself on the same scale as Toronto: greater Vancouver is about 2.5 million people; in contrast, greater Toronto is about 6.1 million. It's a huge difference.

Vancouver is a pretty small city. To think it is on the same scale as Toronto is laughable. But I don't know Vancouverites tend to think the city far more important than it is. Vancouver is the size of Denver Colorado, or Lyon, France, or Turin, Italy, smaller than Manchester, or Valencia. That's how big it is.

Toronto only starts to look like a big city with 6M metro population, and not even quite there. If put in Europe, Vancouver will rank about 30th, while Toronto will be at 6th/7th along with Madrid. It is only because it is in less populated Canada that twisted people's understanding about what big cities should be.

Often things like this price estimate are "leaked" out. That's another way of saying someone was told to say something aloud in order for it to make the news. It helps to diffuse the idea of a grand announcement which they aren't looking forward to making. It's also the oldest trick in the book to try to make themselves look good. They will "leak" that it is $29 and when people start to hear it, their announcement of $25 is easier to accept as people will say "It's not as bad as I thought".

Often things like this price estimate are "leaked" out. That's another way of saying someone was told to say something aloud in order for it to make the news. It helps to diffuse the idea of a grand announcement which they aren't looking forward to making. It's also the oldest trick in the book to try to make themselves look good. They will "leak" that it is $29 and when people start to hear it, their announcement of $25 is easier to accept as people will say "It's not as bad as I thought".

That's fair but the phrasing used doesn't seem to indicate that it is an insider source being protected by not being named. As I said there is a big difference between saying "is believed to be" vs saying "rumoured to be" or "expected to be". The former indicates that it is speculation on the part of the writer, while the latter 2 indicate an unnamed source providing the source of the information.

Back