Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

Assume, what, 2 people in a group.

Parking at Airport......$20? So $10 per person.

Airport to Union via UP (assuming Presto) $9....Union to Ex = $4.71 = $13.71 per person X 2 (presumably they go back the same way.)

So total cost is $37.42 per person....seems rich.

My wife and I go to nearly every TFC match....we either drive and park in Liberty Village ($6 if timed right...has never been more than $9) or we drive to Weston, take the UP to Union and GO to Ex....total cost (Presto) $5.02 per person each way...so total of $10.04 per person.....or we drive to Long Branch and just take the GO for $4.98 per person.

A variety of factors determine which of our 3 routes we consider taking........and I typically prefer the Weston UP option.....but when we pass the airport, we instinctively do not consider the option of parking there and taking UP....it is just way to expensive an option (and I am not, typically, a penny pincher - much to my wife's shagrin).

You could do the Family Long Layover Return and pay $25 Round Trip on the UPX for 2 people. Its good for 7 hours.

lOLtlIu.png

Via: https://www.upexpress.com/Tickets/Tickets

It would make the cost $10 parking + $25/2 + 4.71 = $27.21 per person.

If you did the 509 Exhibition TTC streetcar it would make the cost $25.5 per person.

^yes, I guess that is an option.....but still not sure why someone would do that rather than drive the extra, what, 10 minutes to Weston and do it for $10.04 per person...but, clearly, some are.

If all lines of GO were running late after and before the games, I wouldn't doubt that we would see a sort of revers commute.

If I lived in the area, I would do it to save the headache of parking downtown.

Sometimes the actual cost is not the deciding factor, but the overall costs, including mental cost.

When I visit family who live near downtown, I park at a subway station, and take the subway to a streetcar. It takes almost twice as long as driving, and costs about the same as gas+parking, however, it is much more calmer.

Two weeks ago I asked one of those airport people (whom stand where cars let off passengers) where to park and he asked me for who long and I said not more than 1 hr, and he preceded to give me a free 1 hr ticket that you scan when you go in and scan when you leave. We went over by 20 mina and cost us $3. There are certain machines to use which are situated as soon as you enter the parking area by walking in. I ma not sure if a certain allotment in the parking lot is for these free 1 hr times. He pointed to us where to go park.

Nope. Maybe a minute, possibly as much as 2. But certainly no more.

The acceleration curve of a high-powered DMU versus an EMU is virtually identical up to about 35mph, and not vastly different up to about 80mph or so.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.
This is worthy of more discussion, and I have to challenge the claim. It *is* topical.

Why commuter railroads won't run diesels

Earlier I talked about why freight will never electrify their railroads. Now I'd like to show, by way of an example, why commuter railroads won't run diesels in the future, choosing instead to electrify their lines. There are a couple of reasons for this.
[...]
More importantly, however, is the fact that electric trains accelerate much faster, and electric multiple units, compared to a diesel locomotive hauling several rail cars, accelerate like a bat out of hell. The Fairmount DMU study gives the acceleration characteristics of a diesel push-pull train set such as MBTA and other commuter agencies use. Accelerating to 60 miles per hour takes 166 seconds; by extrapolation of the acceleration trend, 80 miles per hour would take 301 seconds. That's significantly slower than the Talent DMU that my last post featured, but look at it in comparison with a Stadler FLIRT:
[...]
The FLIRT reaches 60 miles per hour in only 27 seconds, over two minutes faster than a traditional American train set and reaches 100 mile per hour in about 76 seconds, a minute and a half before our vaunted American train has hit 60 miles per hour (it's just about to hit 35 miles per hour). It also breaks significantly faster.

In this video we can see a deceleration from 70 kilometers per hour to 10 kilometers per hour in 9 seconds, which is an average braking rate of 6.67km/h/s or 4.145mphps. This NTSB report on a Metrolink train exceeding a stop signal reports:
The third test used the service air brake and dynamic braking but did not use the emergency brake. The brakes were first applied when the train reached 74 mph. In this test, the brakes were applied in increments, as in the first test; however, there was less time between brake applications. The total stopping distance was about 2,490 feet.
[...]
That, in a nutshell, is the advantage which electrification offers alongside fuel savings: a 33% reduction in travel time and making commuter rail operations truly time competitive with car travel. In this particular instance, the cost would be about $500 million or less for the electrification, plus the cost of train sets (Hungary recently purchased four FLIRTs for 20 million euros), and much of the electrification cost can be covered through the California High Speed Rail program, making the burden more manageable on OCTA and the other Metrolink member agencies.
http://reasonrail.blogspot.ca/2012/05/why-commuter-railroads-wont-run-diesels.html

The last link in the article above is dead, here's the latest on this, and the increased order:
01/09/2016 –
Hungarian GYSEV ordered 10 new generation FLIRT trains from Stadler
Hungarian regional operator GYSEV Zrt. and Stadler signed a contract for the delivery of 10 four-car FLIRT type electric multiple units for regional operation. The first vehicles are expected to start service in 2018 in Western Hungary. With the current and earlier orders GYSEV will possess a fleet consisting of altogether 20 state-of-the-art FLIRT units.

[...]
http://www.stadlerrail.com/en/meta/...ian-gysev-ordered-10-new-generation-flirt-tr/

And included at the link above:
The new vehicles are 2.8 m longer than the first generation models, giving room for another classic toilet in addition to the one which meets TSI PRM standards for people with reduced mobility. The 77.1 m long and 2.82 m wide four-car EMUs have altogether 208 seats (194 fixed and 14 folding). Their maximum speed is 160 km/h, while their acceleration capacity is 1.2 m/s2 which means they will be able to speed up from 0 to 120 km/h in not more than only 39 seconds. The new generation FLIRTs also feature spacious, multifunctional boarding areas that enable rapid passenger exchange. Thanks to the multifunctional areas and the 90% low-floor share, the vehicles are easily approachable by passengers with wheelchairs, bicycles and strollers. Meeting the requirements of today’s standards, the vehicles are provided with air-conditioner, camera system, WIFI, charging facilities for electronic devices, as well as box seats suitable for regional transport.[...]

It's SO past the time for Transport Canada to embrace the modern age.

is it even possible to ride the UP from the airport and not get fare checked?
It's virtually a given that your method of payment will be checked, with rare exceptions, so much so that when I forget to tap off (grrrr...a topic of psychology in itself, some stations the machines just aren't in the line of sight and travel, and for some odd reason, many of us have other things on our minds) I can use that on-board check to discuss the case when telephoning to get the charges straightened out.

Last edited:
They only check fares when departing Union and the airport they don't check at either of the two midpoints.
Fascinating, as they always do when I zip from Bloor to Weston. Odd how I'm the only one out...there was only ever once my fare wasn't checked on UPX, and it was from Union to Bloor one day in afternoon peak where it was so packed, staff couldn't get to me to check before I egressed at Bloor. And I live right at Bloor Station, use UPX all the time to zip back and forth downtown to here, and here (with bike and dog usually) to Weston, to run dog down Humber to lakefront and across.

Over to you...

Fascinating, as they always do when I zip from Bloor to Weston. Odd how I'm the only one out...there was only ever once my fare wasn't checked on UPX, and it was from Union to Bloor one day in afternoon peak where it was so packed, staff couldn't get to me to check before I egressed at Bloor. And I live right at Bloor Station, use UPX all the time to zip back and forth downtown to here, and here (with bike and dog usually) to Weston, to run dog down Humber to lakefront and across.

Over to you...
They probably don't check on every trip depending on the load of the train. It would be the equivalent of go transit fare inspector checking on a full train during rush hour they wouldn't be able to make their way through the train in time to inspect everyone's ticket hence why Pop is consider to be the honor system with in public transit they excpect tat everyone who has boarded the train has paid ther fare.

Is it just me or only the Westside of (Toronto) Yonge Street benefits the use of UPX?

Is there any plans to have UPX service east of Union Station? Like maybe a UPX station at Scarborough GO, Ajax GO, and Oshawa GO.

Should Metrolinx just scrap the DMU's altogether and use the regular GO Transit Rolling Stock to serve the UPX, running a 5 car consist up and down the line every so often.

Just my two cents

Is it just me or only the Westside of (Toronto) Yonge Street benefits the use of UPX?

Is there any plans to have UPX service east of Union Station? Like maybe a UPX station at Scarborough GO, Ajax GO, and Oshawa GO.

Should Metrolinx just scrap the DMU's altogether and use the regular GO Transit Rolling Stock to serve the UPX, running a 5 car consist up and down the line every so often.

Just my two cents
Th point of UPX is to provide service to the and from the airport to downtown not to be the RER project. Plus Union and the airport station are only designed to hold a three car train of the current size.

I've only taken the UPX a handful of times from the Airport to Union, on a weekend morning, and never been fare checked.

Just my two cents
As EastYorkTTCFan said, the UPX was built to provide premium(though it's not so premium anymore) express service between Union and Pearson. It is not part of the Regional Express Rail(RER) plan. If you want to learn more about GO's RER plan, then you should visit http://www.metrolinx.com/en/regionalplanning/rer/rer_service.aspx.

As for your rolling stock question, why should UPX scrap their new DMUs and buy GO Transit rolling stock? The DMUs are doing fine and there is absolutely no reason to scrap them and switch over to GO rolling stock. Also, the UPX is not part of GO Transit. It operates under the Metrolinx umbrella parallel to GO Transit.

Last edited:
They only check fares when departing Union and the airport they don't check at either of the two midpoints.

Aside from the fact my post specifically asked if it is possible to ride UP from Pearson for free......I have used UP from Weston to BMO Field probably 15 times now......all but 2 times was fare checked (both times were when Jays and TFC were playing at +/- same time and crowds overwhelmed the ticket checker).

Just my two cents

Appreciate you are new here but

a) UP serves people East of Union already.....they just need to transfer at Union

b). Been discussed dozens of times in this thread....the current set up of 3 car trains is the longest that will fit at the stations.

Last edited:

Back