Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

errr. I meant a regular fare TTC bus, not GO/Other. I use the Kipling rocket bus quite a bit, and it is actually pretty decent. My main problem is that I have to go out to Kipling, which is quite far from downtown (work) and the norther part of the Yonge line (live). Unless you live along the Bloor line, the Kipling rocket isn't particularly convenient.

errr. I meant a regular fare TTC bus, not GO/Other. I use the Kipling rocket bus quite a bit, and it is actually pretty decent. My main problem is that I have to go out to Kipling, which is quite far from downtown (work) and the norther part of the Yonge line (live). Unless you live along the Bloor line, the Kipling rocket isn't particularly convenient.

Obviously, but its convenient for me, as I live a bus ride away from Kipling Station :D

Environmental assessment process to be shortened for Blue 22

AMANDA TRUSCOTT

January 5, 2009

The creation of a train linking Union Station to Pearson International Airport appears to have been fast-tracked after more than a decade mired in bureaucratic tangles and objections from local residents.

A new, shortened environmental assessment process adopted by the project's proponent, Metrolinx, could require as little as six months, as opposed to the three or more years taken by the previous assessment process.

Details about how much the air-rail link will cost, how long it will take to build, and whether the project will differ from the Blue 22 plan first proposed six years ago will be determined after the assessment has begun this spring, said Colleen Bell, a spokeswoman for Metrolinx. The Ontario Crown corporation announced in December that it would take over the project from GO Transit, although GO will still help build the infrastructure.

"It will be a new study; however, all of the community concerns and the data that was collected as part of the previous study will be validated, brought forward and considered as part of this one," she said.

Mike Sullivan, who heads the Weston Community Coalition, is suspicious about the reasons for coming up with a new environmental assessment process. "I think the 'accelerated' EA was designed specifically for this project," he said.

"Under the rules of a full EA, which the government promised, not only would other routes have to be at least considered, but the socio-economic impact on the local community had to be addressed. Now they can give that part lip service and we have no recourse."

Weston residents worry their community will end up divided, choked by fumes, assaulted by noise and excluded from any benefits. The Blue 22 plan would have sent diesel trains on a 22-minute trip through the Georgetown corridor, stopping only once at Dundas West station. The proposed ticket price was $20.

It's not the prospect of an air-rail link that upsets them, said Suri Weinberg-Linsky, another coalition member. It's the prospect of an above-ground diesel train constantly passing through town without stopping there, blocking roads along the way.

Weston residents submitted their views on Blue 22 in October, 2006, under the old environmental assessment process, she said. "Every letter that we sent to the ministry was 'Well, it's in this person's hands,' or 'It's on this person's desk,' or 'We're getting to it,' or 'We'll get back to you,' and two years passed," she said.

Ms. Bell said that assessment never made it beyond the preliminary stages.

Scott Armstrong, a spokesman for the Greater Toronto Airport Authority, said he hopes the shortened process means travellers will finally have a way to get to the airport without being hampered by conditions like the recent snowstorm that caused mayhem during the year's busiest travelling days.

"The taxis are naturally slower in a snowstorm, so the train would offer just a constant back and forth," he said.

An air-rail link should be more than just a fast way to get to the airport, Ms. Weinberg-Linsky said. "If you build it, build it right. Build it so that people can get on it at multiple locations. Build it so it's electric, not diesel, because diesel is outmoded, antiquated, obsolete technology."

Laura Albanese, Liberal MPP for York South-Weston, said her understanding was that the community would still get to have its say. "I've been saying all along that the local residents must benefit from this, hopefully with a transportation hub. It has to be part of the community; it cannot be built at the expense of the community."

Environmental assessment process to be shortened for Blue 22

AMANDA TRUSCOTT

January 5, 2009

Mike Sullivan, who heads the Weston Community Coalition, is suspicious about the reasons for coming up with a new environmental assessment process. "I think the 'accelerated' EA was designed specifically for this project," he said.

Yeah, what is he smoking?? The 'accelerated' EA was designed like a year before this 'relaunch' of Blue22. It was designed to fast-track all the MoveOntario 2020 projects to get shovels in the ground as soon as possible. The Weston Community Coalition is not only self-serving, but is now rambling non-sense. Get over it, I mean I wouldn't mind living literally beside the 'Blue22' tracks. (LOL of course that's cause I like watching trains go by :D)

The Weston Community Coalition is not only self-serving, but is now rambling non-sense. Get over it, I mean I wouldn't mind living literally beside the 'Blue22' tracks. (LOL of course that's cause I like watching trains go by :D)

Re self-serving, speak for yourself.

Re self-serving, speak for yourself.

Yes, self-serving, meaning they only care about themselves. The Weston residents don't see how much this line is needed. (Of course, WITH local stops. A Stop at GO Bloor, Mount Dennis, and Weston would really help the area residents get better transit.) They really need to see the bigger picture!

Yes, self-serving, meaning they only care about themselves. The Weston residents don't see how much this line is needed. (Of course, WITH local stops. A Stop at GO Bloor, Mount Dennis, and Weston would really help the area residents get better transit.) They really need to see the bigger picture!

An airport line with local stops? That's exactly what the Weston Residents Coalition been advocating these past few years. So you agree with them?

An airport line with local stops? That's exactly what the Weston Residents Coalition been advocating these past few years. So you agree with them?

Umm, no!! A local line would still need all the grade separation (which I think is necessary), and would go pretty frequently and go fast (obviously necessary). What the WCC is advocating is to keep all the level crossings, as to not split their neighborhood. They're being self serving there, as an airport line with at-grade crossings would be just ludicrous. Ok, the stop at Mount Dennis is clearly unnecessary, but one is needed at GO Bloor, as not all passengers from the Airport go downtown.

Why not rebuild the Weston corridor as an embankment or a trench instead? It will be expensive, but it certainly is not unprecedented in cities with real transit systems and will finally silence those NIMBYs.

Why not rebuild the Weston corridor as an embankment or a trench instead? It will be expensive, but it certainly is not unprecedented in cities with real transit systems and will finally silence those NIMBYs.

No way, an embankment will block their view of the area of Weston across the tracks!!:p:eek:

EDIT: And a trench is dangerous, someone will fall into it :eek:

I don't see it as self-serving to not want their neighbourhood torn in half by noisy, smelly diesel trains. If somebody was proposing to ram through stinky old diesel claptraps like that and saw my neighbourhood in half, I'd be just as upset. This is all about money. Namely that the consortium does not want to spend any to accommodate the residents. urbanfan89 has made an excellent point. The tracks can be put in a trench to help accommodate the residents' concerns. The consortium can also agree to use electric vehicles and to stop in Weston. I am not from Weston and I don't consider any of those demands excessive. So why should the Weston residents not be vocal about it? Nor would I consider them NIMBYs, given that they are not entirely opposed to the whole project. They just want it modified to accommodate local concerns. What's wrong with that?

Umm, no!! A local line would still need all the grade separation (which I think is necessary), and would go pretty frequently and go fast (obviously necessary). What the WCC is advocating is to keep all the level crossings, as to not split their neighborhood. They're being self serving there, as an airport line with at-grade crossings would be just ludicrous. Ok, the stop at Mount Dennis is clearly unnecessary, but one is needed at GO Bloor, as not all passengers from the Airport go downtown.

A grade separation? That's exactly what the Weston Residents Coalition been advocating these past few years. So you agree with them?

The Community Coalition opposes closing the streets (which would split their community in two), but they do want the level crossings removed, so they have advocated a grade separation of all the tracks through their neighbourhood, preferably in a trench.

The trench could be built, as well as a few bridges and the problems could be mitigated. The Weston group has good ideas for building it properly. Taking their suggestions and investing to mitigate the impact of the frequent rail traffic is how to fast track the project.

Check out a concept drawing from the Community Coalition from the early days of the debate, in 2005:
Link (PDF)

It's simple and missing details, sure. But it seems clear to me that they are proposing a very "urban" solution to the issue.

A grade separation? That's exactly what the Weston Residents Coalition been advocating these past few years. So you agree with them?

The Community Coalition opposes closing the streets (which would split their community in two), but they do want the level crossings removed, so they have advocated a grade separation of all the tracks through their neighbourhood, preferably in a trench.

Well then I guess I do agree with them, because that is quite reasonable. I was under the impression they opposed all grade separation. Thank you for clarifying :D

Back