Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

OMFG. Screw NIMBY, CAVEman is more like it (Citizens Against Virtually Everything).

What a fool this lady makes herself sound like!

Love this quote:

"Not to sound like I'm bragging or anything but we have more (influence) than the average person."

The very few people of influence that I know do not like it when their "friends" tell the world they have influence. My guess, the local politicians will have to go out of their way now to not appear as giving this very special couple preferential treatment......she has just done her "cause" in!!

At least, however, her NIMBYism is restricted (quite literally) to her backyard.....the problem with the Weston folks is that they have extended their objections to B22 to way beyond local concerns.

Uh, no.

Because they oppose Blue 22 in the form that is proposed, they have pushed for alternatives. At least they have provided some ideas of their own that would result in a rail service to the airport, rather than true NIMBYesque "no more trains!" or "get rid of the trains!".

Bingo. Unless Blue22 and all other current plans are specified, in writing, in official documents, as a temporary solution to serving Pearson which can and will be discarded at the first available moment when forward thinking, long term solutions come online, it will be a long, long time before GO ever makes it way into Pearson.

and i reckon the best time to present a long term solution for the YYZ and georgetown corridors is september 26, 2008 (RTP draft is tabled, scheduled approval by november 28, 2008)

http://www.metrolinx.com/default.aspx

any reason why it should be later than that?

OMFG. Screw NIMBY, CAVEman is more like it (Citizens Against Virtually Everything).

or ultimately, BANANAs:
"Build absolutely nothing anywhere near anyone"

http://www.wordspy.com/words/BANANA.asp

BTW, if there are nimbys among the weston folks, and there always are, they are not out in front
I think the folks leading the effort are fairly progressive (as well as media-savvy to a degree), and have done an incredible amount of research. astounding actually.
-their push early on for a subway alternative along Eglinton seemed too self-serving but the people being quoted seem to have accepted that some kind of increase in rail traffic is coming
-asking for electrification might be a bit much, however

For all you Blue22 fans who call Weston people the "worst kind of NIMBYs", check out this Ajax woman's tale of woe. Now that's a NIMBY. And at that, it's Durham Region Transit. Not like the buses come by that often.

Compounded by...

"We paid a lot of money to have the only custom-built home in a very special subdivision." That included a $100,000 premium to look out over Lake Ontario. "I can't even hear the TV when a bus goes by," she adds, complaining the service was "dumped on us" without warning two years ago.

Her husband Wayne, a "well-respected" architectural technologist who designed the subdivision, has some clout with local politicians who know him through business and charity events, Cassidy says.

"Not to sound like I'm bragging or anything but we have more (influence) than the average person."

Somehow, I'd be prone to counter-NIMBY the kind of taste, etc, that she represents...

Sounds like the Vancouver West Side resident who put her foot in her mouth opposing a light rail line along the Arbutus corridor by calling her community the "creme de la creme" of Vancouver society.

Sounds like the Vancouver West Side resident who put her foot in her mouth opposing a light rail line along the Arbutus corridor by calling her community the "creme de la creme" of Vancouver society.

Are you serious?

I've put together a google earth kml of where I think the Blue 22 line might go, based on the diagram between Goreway and the terminals provided in the GTAA masterplan and extrapolating to the Georgetown line. (Remove the .txt at the end of the file name - the BB wouldn't accept a kml upload directly).

The alignment beyond Goreway has a lot of curvature but it assumes that minimal footprint will be attempted and thus no bridges over the creek beside the line and will share footprint with part of the industrial line which curves towards Georgetown.

Stuff it made me think about:

1. A temporary terminus could be built in the car park with a walkway to the rollercoaster. This could permit "phase 1" to be run more quickly with the tricky bridges and approaches to the terminal to follow.

2. If demand did not support service within the capacity provided to Union, occasional trains could terminate in Pearson from the west using the existing curve.

3. Would it require a grade separated bridge over the current lines to minimise conflicts in addition to the spur of the southernmost line, given the frequency envisaged?

Attachments

• Blue 22 Link.kmz.txt
    1.2 KB · Views: 462
I've put together a google earth kml of where I think the Blue 22 line might go, based on the diagram between Goreway and the terminals provided in the GTAA masterplan and extrapolating to the Georgetown line. (Remove the .txt at the end of the file name - the BB wouldn't accept a kml upload directly).

The alignment beyond Goreway has a lot of curvature but it assumes that minimal footprint will be attempted and thus no bridges over the creek beside the line and will share footprint with part of the industrial line which curves towards Georgetown.

Stuff it made me think about:

1. A temporary terminus could be built in the car park with a walkway to the rollercoaster. This could permit "phase 1" to be run more quickly with the tricky bridges and approaches to the terminal to follow.

2. If demand did not support service within the capacity provided to Union, occasional trains could terminate in Pearson from the west using the existing curve.

3. Would it require a grade separated bridge over the current lines to minimise conflicts in addition to the spur of the southernmost line, given the frequency envisaged?

I added it to Live Search Maps for those that don't use Google Earth.

Click here to see it

khristopher - that's very neat especially since Live Maps has birdeye level resolution in that area which is better than Google's max res. Thanks!

Back