Mississauga U of T: UTM Terrence Donnelly Health Sciences Complex | ?m | 4s | U of T | Kongats

Slightly better render:

UTM-HSC+885x354.jpg

Nice...
http://www.metronews.ca/toronto/local/article/761710--u-of-t-mississauga-lands-12m-donation

ORSTAR NEWS SERVICE
Published: February 03, 2011 5:27 a.m.
Last modified: February 02, 2011 9:30 p.m.

After donating $10 million to the University of Toronto Mississauga in May 2010, Carlo Fidani issued a public challenge.

The Mississauga businessman called for others to step forward and match his gift to help build a new health sciences complex on the U of T’s Mississauga campus.

Terrence Donnelly, a retired lawyer and philanthropist, met the challenge — then trumped it by adding an additional $2 million.

Today, the university will announce Donnelly’s $12-million donation, the largest ever made to its Mississauga campus.

http://www.mississauga.com/news/article/938451--utm-receives-largest-ever-donation

a8c5c07c42c89a90ef669a35eb22.jpeg

What can you do with $12 million?
University of Toronto Mississauga principal Deep Saini says you can use it to "change the face of medicine in Mississauga and Peel Region."
Retired lawyer and philanthropist Terrence Donnelly was at the University of Toronto Mississauga (UTM) today to announce he's donating $12 million to the university's new health sciences complex, which is slated to open in August and will educate 54 medical students a year. It was the largest donation ever made to the campus.
The facility will be called the Terrence Donnelly Health Sciences Complex.
The cash comes from the Terrence Donnelly Foundation and $10 million will go to help build the $37 million, four-storey complex. The remainder will be used for student bursaries and scholarships.
"This is the first opportunity I've had to do something for education," said Donnelly. "Many of these students have the ability to be doctors but need a little help."
Last May, Carlo Fidani donated $10 million to the university and asked others to do the same. Donnelly met his challenge.
Fidani, who was on hand for today's announcement, lauded Donnelly's donation.
"When we had an opportunity to get together with Terry and he stepped up and did what he did, it's just (great)," said Fidani. "It's so exciting to be involved in this and I think it will be transformative in the way philanthropists work and collaborate in the future."
The centre will house the Mississauga Academy of Medicine as well as the graduate biomedical communications program, research laboratories, classrooms and offices. Partners in the academy include the University of Toronto's faculty of medicine, Trillium Health Centre and Credit Valley Hospital.
Donnelly believes his gift will directly benefit Mississauga residents.
"We have an opportunity with this facility to make a real difference in the lives of the people of Mississauga," he said, adding that there's a "crying need" for local health care that can be filled by training more doctors.
The academy's first class of students will graduate in 2015. By 2014, there will be 216 students enrolled in the four-year program.
Dr. Catharine Whiteside, dean of the university's faculty of medicine, said many of the graduates will likely practice in Mississauga or the surrounding area.
cclay@mississauga.net

^That last photo demonstrates precisely why I loathed Erindale in the 90s and would still today--it's a very car culture commuter campus. Nasty.

Ummm... very car culture commuter campuses don't have mandatory pay parking with exorbiant fees, and they don't have a transit U-Pass either (it has to be approved by the students, you see). Around half of students at UTM take transit.

Pretty much all of my friends who attend UTM and myself when I used to took transit.

That said, the campus seriously lacks culture. It's impossible to enjoy a proper pint ANYWHERE on or around campus, for example. Last time I attempted that at the wrongly called 'pub' they served me Molson Canadian on a plastic cup (I'd asked for a pint of stella, which would already be a huge downgrade from my usual brews).

Also, there is a disconnection between the campus and where it's located. As someone who enjoyed many afternoons in Streetsville and Port Credit, I can say I felt more in India than in Mississauga while at UTM. There was no focus whatsoever on local culture, and it speaks volumes that nothing even remotely traditional to mississauga is offered around this university.

Why serve fosters when you have Old Credit brewing right around the corner for example? Why was there never any mention of hockey anywhere? Why have the majority of the people who live on residence never ventured further than Square One looking for things to do and places to go to.

It's a shame, because the natural setting around it is beautiful, and I know several great professors who deserve better.

I'm kinda confused what you mean by culture. You say culture, and then talk about beer and hockey. Living in Mississauga and having attended St George, I don't recall U of T downtown having much culture either. Nice historic buildings, yes. Proximity to downtown, yes. Besides, people at U of T (I assume this applies to UTM as well) are there to study, not to experience culture, whatever that means anyway.

Hart House offers jazz, theatre, craft beer festivals, local food festivals, etc. There are brilliant small places to eat throughout campus run by people committed to make Toronto a better place (hot yam, sylvester's cafe, the grad student pub which opens till midnight and gives students a great meeting place where they can enjoy great Toronto brews. There's facilities and teams for whatever team you want, and over 40 teams in the intramural hockey league alone!

Universities are not places to 'study' unless you are getting a management degree just for the money in it. By creating a cuture around a university and the city it is located in you educate students and visitors about positive values that lead to greater contributions to society, to a greater enjoyment of life, and to a more thorough understanding of sustainability, as well as alternatives to the shallow consumerism found elsewhere. We badly need places where values are the driving force and not the market, and universities are the perfect place for that to happen while benefiting greatly those who attend it.

While you can graduate from St. George and be oblivious to all this, UTM offers none of this stuff for people who are looking for it.

Also, there is a disconnection between the campus and where it's located. As someone who enjoyed many afternoons in Streetsville and Port Credit, I can say I felt more in India than in Mississauga while at UTM. There was no focus whatsoever on local culture, and it speaks volumes that nothing even remotely traditional to mississauga is offered around this university.

Why serve fosters when you have Old Credit brewing right around the corner for example? Why was there never any mention of hockey anywhere? Why have the majority of the people who live on residence never ventured further than Square One looking for things to do and places to go to.

So basically:
- too much Indians
- not enough Canadians
- not enough hockey

Whatever.

I can say I felt more in India than in Mississauga while at UTM. There was no focus whatsoever on local culture, and it speaks volumes that nothing even remotely traditional to mississauga is offered around this university.

South Asians do make up a significant chunk of the local population -- something like 20% in Mississauga and 30% in Brampton. They're not foreign to Mississauga.

I'm kinda confused what you mean by culture. You say culture, and then talk about beer and hockey. Living in Mississauga and having attended St George, I don't recall U of T downtown having much culture either. Nice historic buildings, yes. Proximity to downtown, yes. Besides, people at U of T (I assume this applies to UTM as well) are there to study, not to experience culture, whatever that means anyway.

I attended both (plus Queen's) and I agree. Want student 'culture'? Go attend Queen's or Western. The 'culture' gets boring after about 6 months, and after a year or two it gets downright grating. the only saving grace for Queen's is that Kingston is a pretty fine little town.

I'm not sure why Erindale would focus on serving a good pint considering it's a) a school, and b) since half of the students have to get in their cars and drive making drinking much of anything pretty useless unless you're ready to spend a couple hours sobering up on campus before heading home.

Erindale's not perfect (some of my friends found res life a drag) but I never really understood why half of the people there were so down on it. Then why did you go? I made more friends and met more people at Erindale than anywhere else I attended.

Last edited:

Back