Toronto U of T: Goldring Centre for High Performance Sport | 51m | 6s | U of T | Patkau

Probably not going to happen - fundamentally different university culture/experience.

AoD

You'd be surprised how similar some small(er) Canadian campuses are to American college life (think Western, Laurier, MacMaster, Guelph, Queen's) in terms of culture and support of their respective athletic programs.

Last edited:
You'd be surprised how similar some small(er) Canadian campuses are to American college life (think Western, Laurier, MacMaster, Guelph, Queen's) in terms of culture and support of their respective athletic programs.

Western...smaller? Western has (by Canadian standards) very good support for their athletics programs....but to suggest they similar to US is a strange statement.

In terms of student enrollment Western is not far off of Michigan....both are around 40k students. Do a comparison of their support of their student athletics programs....not even in the same ballpark. As AoD suggests it is a fundamentally different situation.

Western can consistently fill their 10,000 seat stadium for football games. The other universities listed also get good on-campus support from the student body, which cannot be said about a commuter school like U of T.

Note how I said there are similarities. Where the Canadian and US collegiate systems differ is in the support from the greater community and alumni. Whereas all of Ann Arbor can rally behind the Wolverines and fill a 100,000 seat stadium, the same cannot be said of London, ON.

Western can consistently fill their 10,000 seat stadium for football games. The other universities listed also get good on-campus support from the student body, which cannot be said about a commuter school like U of T.

Note how I said there are similarities. Where the Canadian and US collegiate systems differ is in the support from the greater community and alumni. Whereas all of Ann Arbor can rally behind the Wolverines and fill a 100,000 seat stadium, the same cannot be said of London, ON.

Look, we are partially in agreement....Western supports football/sports better than some other schools....that is, however, partly because they are in London...which is also a better supporter of non-major league sports than other Ontario cities.

That said.....Western does not consistently fill its football stadium.

This year's 4 home game attendances:

September 20 V UofT: 11,459
October 4 V Mac. 5,585
October 9 V Laurier 3,682
October 25 V Windsor 3,620

I like to think of Western as a good sports school in an Ontario basis.....but a school with a similar size of student body in a city with a very similar population to one that Michigan sits in points out that AoD is absolutely correct....there is no comparison on how we view/support sports on our campuses.

That is, neither, good or bad....it just is.

I disagree completely. McGill has no building comparable to University College. Buildings like Victoria College or Massey College with its brilliant combination of Modernist and Gothic styles are singular in Canada. To see the spires of Hart House, Soldier's Tower, University College and Trinity College together is just sublime. U of T's architecture is second to none. Its student lounges, picturesque quads and courtyards and granite walkways give it the best public realm. The urban scenery around it is also second to none. Toronto has the best skyline in Canada and the landmarks on the edge of U of T's campus are grand and monumental.

When taken as a whole, the McGill campus is more cohesive and appealing. As I noted in my post, I love the old campus (including St. Michael's College) but that does not represent the entire U of T campus. If anything, the old campus accentuates how average other parts of the campus are. McGill is better in this regard as the entire campus is reminiscent of old times as opposed to just certain areas.

Toronto also does not have a streetscape like rue Sherbrooke near McGill. Again, context and symmetry are important. Musée des beaux-arts de Montréal and the Ritz-Carlton do not look out-of-place as the surrounding buildings beautifully complement them (unlike the ROM).

The U of T campus does not have a park comparable to parc du Mont-Royal, which was designed by Olmsted. The fall foliage of Parc du Mont-Royal is unbeatable. The park boasts lovely public spaces, including two belvederes, hiking and skiing trails, a man-made lake, and a sculpture garden. As for views, the grounds of U of T campus do not offer the best view of Toronto’s skyline. The views of Toronto from the campus can’t compete with the panoramic vistas from the top of the mont Royal. On a clear day, one can see as far as mont Saint-Hilaire past downtown Montreal and fleuve Saint-Laurent.

And this relates to the Goldring Centre how?

A debate about the architecture of the building blended into a debate about how that architecture worked (or did not work) with the rest of campus ...during which someone described UofT campus as the most beautiful in the country and that led to a few "wait, no it isn't" dissenters....pretty natural really.

When taken as a whole, the McGill campus is more cohesive and appealing. As I noted in my post, I love the old campus (including St. Michael's College) but that does not represent the entire U of T campus. If anything, the old campus accentuates how average other parts of the campus are. McGill is better in this regard as the entire campus is reminiscent of old times as opposed to just certain areas.

Toronto also does not have a streetscape like rue Sherbrooke near McGill. Again, context and symmetry are important. Musée des beaux-arts de Montréal and the Ritz-Carlton do not look out-of-place as the surrounding buildings beautifully complement them (unlike the ROM).

The U of T campus does not have a park comparable to parc du Mont-Royal, which was designed by Olmsted. The fall foliage of Parc du Mont-Royal is unbeatable. The park boasts lovely public spaces, including two belvederes, hiking and skiing trails, a man-made lake, and a sculpture garden. As for views, the grounds of U of T campus do not offer the best view of Toronto’s skyline. The views of Toronto from the campus can’t compete with the panoramic vistas from the top of the mont Royal. On a clear day, one can see as far as mont Saint-Hilaire past downtown Montreal and fleuve Saint-Laurent.

All of U of T's architecture is great. Massey College, New College, the Faculty of Pharmacy Building, CCBR, Convocation Hall, EJ Pratt Library and Robarts are all leading examples of their styles in Canada (if not the world). The diversity of styles makes exploring the campus a pleasure. Its best buildings are easily the best in Canada. The other buildings are generally outstanding as well. The streets, neighbourhoods and public spaces around the ROM are outstanding as well.

Wow I didn't know Western's attendance had dwindled that much. They had better attendance when they were Vanier Cup contenders but I guess it's pretty lacklustre now outside of Homecoming.

Regardless, as you said, those numbers are still good relative to a school like U of T which can barely crack 1,000 for its Homecoming game. I guess what I mean to say is that schools like Western show parallels to American schools with regards to its athletic institutions but at a much smaller scale obviously. There is no profound support of said sports teams stemming from the community, which is precisely what allows many American schools to sellout massive football stadiums.

All of U of T's architecture is great. Massey College, New College, the Faculty of Pharmacy Building, CCBR, Convocation Hall, EJ Pratt Library and Robarts are all leading examples of their styles in Canada (if not the world). The diversity of styles makes exploring the campus a pleasure. Its best buildings are easily the best in Canada. The other buildings are generally outstanding as well. The streets, neighbourhoods and public spaces around the ROM are outstanding as well.

We are digressing from the thread topic so I will just provide a link to a map of the U of T downtown campus. You can look at each building by clicking on the small blue circles. People can decide on their own if all of these buildings are architecturally “great/generally outstanding.â€

http://www.osm.utoronto.ca/map/f?p=110:1:424993403083001

The best way is to spend time on the campus--those little photos don't do it justice. This guidebook is useful. Whether it's reading a book by one of the many fireplaces at Trinity College's library, writing an exam in the spectacular east and west halls of University College, doing research at Fisher Library or attending a lecture at Con Hall--you can't truly appreciate the campus until you experience its spectacular spaces. Did you see the plans for Old Knox College--Spadina's picturesque terminating vista? Flavelle House, Woodsworth College, Graduate House--it's landmark after landmark. In between, there are numerous restored and converted Victorian mansions.

Wow I didn't know Western's attendance had dwindled that much. They had better attendance when they were Vanier Cup contenders but I guess it's pretty lacklustre now outside of Homecoming.

Playoffs start this weekend and this year's UWO team is 7th ranked in the country....they are still contenders for the Vanier Cup.

Regardless, as you said, those numbers are still good relative to a school like U of T which can barely crack 1,000 for its Homecoming game.

As I have said before....we agree on the base principal that UWO is a better sporting atmosphere than other Ontario schools.....but it is not clear to me what agenda you are trying to advance by continually mis-stating facts. UofT has lower attendance than Western...that we agree on......but that bolded part is just an out and out lie.

uofT attendance this year:

Sept 1 v Laurier - 4,221
Sept. 13 v York - 2,217
Sept. 27 v Ottawa - 1,349
Oct. 18 v Waterloo - 1,173

So they averaged 2,240. Yes it is lower than Western's 6,086 but that probably has a lot to do with entertainment alternatives at the doorstep (not a shot at London but there is simply far more to do on a daily basis in Toronto than in London) and, regardless of the reason is not barely cracking 1k on one special day as you suggest.

I guess what I mean to say is that schools like Western show parallels to American schools with regards to its athletic institutions but at a much smaller scale obviously. There is no profound support of said sports teams stemming from the community, which is precisely what allows many American schools to sellout massive football stadiums.

I guess, to the extent a plane flying at 40k feet is parallel to the ground your statement is correct....but there really is no basis for the comparison that you drew earlier to dispute AoD's statement.

Playoffs start this weekend and this year's UWO team is 7th ranked in the country....they are still contenders for the Vanier Cup.

As I have said before....we agree on the base principal that UWO is a better sporting atmosphere than other Ontario schools.....but it is not clear to me what agenda you are trying to advance by continually mis-stating facts. UofT has lower attendance than Western...that we agree on......but that bolded part is just an out and out lie.

uofT attendance this year:

Sept 1 v Laurier - 4,221
Sept. 13 v York - 2,217
Sept. 27 v Ottawa - 1,349
Oct. 18 v Waterloo - 1,173

So they averaged 2,240. Yes it is lower than Western's 6,086 but that probably has a lot to do with entertainment alternatives at the doorstep (not a shot at London but there is simply far more to do on a daily basis in Toronto than in London) and, regardless of the reason is not barely cracking 1k on one special day as you suggest.

I guess, to the extent a plane flying at 40k feet is parallel to the ground your statement is correct....but there really is no basis for the comparison that you drew earlier to dispute AoD's statement.

Going to be honest with you TOareaFan, I was talking out of my ass for most of this discussion.

I misconstrued AoD's original comment to mean that there was very minimal support of CIS athletic programs, which of course there isn't, as you've pointed out, but obviously the level of consistent support isn't anywhere near what occurs with many US programs, at least outside of Homecoming games.

As for the Western comments, I was going off anecdotal evidence having been to their Homecoming a few years back and assumed they were capable of maintaining consistent crowds. Not enough of a CIS fan to know the attendance figures.

Having also visited Rutgers and the University of Indiana, the Western HoCo experience wasn't entirely dissimilar from what you'd see on a standard game day at those schools, but again that's anecdotal based on what I witnessed/experienced. But yes, outside of a select few dates, the support here is pretty non-existent.

When taken as a whole, the McGill campus is more cohesive and appealing.

UofT is just far more integrated with the surrounding downtown urban environment. I don't see that as a negative. It also has more than double the land area, at 176 acres. The UofT downtown campus contains 176 buildings with a total of 15 million square feet.

It's also part of a larger contiguous institutional and cultural district (ROM, Royal Conservatory, Gardiner Museum, Batta Museum, Queen's Park campus, MaRS, University Health Network). It is unparalleled in Canada, and of global significance.

As for views, the grounds of U of T campus do not offer the best view of Toronto’s skyline. The views of Toronto from the campus can’t compete with the panoramic vistas from the top of the mont Royal. On a clear day

The top of Mont Royal is no more a view from McGill campus, than the view from the top of the CN Tower is a view from UofT campus.

UofT is just far more integrated with the surrounding downtown urban environment. I don't see that as a negative. It also has more than double the land area, at 176 acres. The UofT downtown campus contains 176 buildings with a total of 15 million square feet.

It's also part of a larger contiguous institutional and cultural district (ROM, Royal Conservatory, Gardiner Museum, Batta Museum, Queen's Park campus, MaRS, University Health Network). It is unparalleled in Canada, and of global significance.

The top of Mont Royal is no more a view from McGill campus, than the view from the top of the CN Tower is a view from UofT campus.

I am not sure how any of these make the U of T campus more beautiful!

Re: CN Tower, you are clearly not familiar with the McGill campus. How can you compare the two campuses when you know about only one of them?

Back