Toronto U Condominiums | 183.79m | 56s | Pemberton | a—A

PE:

Accidents do happen - and one'd hope he doesn't have to rely on the harness. In any event, I am sure how stunts like these helps - other than a certain degree of bragging right.

AoD

Not to mention if he gets himself in trouble emergency personnel have to put their lives at risk to save him. It's not like this guy would foot the bill for the recovery effort either. It's us tax payers who'd get stuck with the bill.

Sa3UkCc.jpg

jksECJs.jpg

How was that person able to string that rope across the two buildings without the builders knowing? Don't they have security there and wouldn't that take a while to set up? This was also done during the day when people would be on site. Something doesn't add up here.

For it to be done during the day it most likely was a holiday, when construction sites are either shut down or very quite. In the past when I was an active rooftopper I'd always go to take day shots on holidays to avoid construction staff. In the article Gerald Situ, the slackliner in the photo, said it was done in October so most likely it was thanksgiving. And security is more for liability/insurance purposes than for actually doing anything of use. These complexes are massive and one guard, which is usually all they're willing to pay for, isn't going to be able to see/cover much of the site.

I strongly disagree. I think the balcony glass could have avoided the generic aqua colour, but these buildings are in my view actually quite elegant, and they make a positive contribution to the area. They're lean, surprisingly subtle in detail, and look far from cheap.

Perhaps you'd have to take a look in person. But I've been admiring them daily while working at the Kelly Library. I really like them.

They’re too monotonously glass-covered and I wish they came right up to the street rather than were buffered by townhouses, but overall I enjoy their presence (though maybe it’s because I remember how much I hated the parking lot there).

Agreed on how they meet the street--the townhouses were a mistake, and I'd go so far to say that no matter how luxurious they are anyone who wants their front door to meet Bay. St. s. of Bloor has a rude awakening coming.

But--I disagree about their monotony. I know you live in the area so I'm sure you've had a good look at them in person, but I think two things break the monotony of glass towers: the way the balconies taper going up the building (standing close by the buildings actually look like they're leaning, and it creates a really interesting effect); and the patterning on the balcony glass (aqua was a mistake, but the patterning is interesting and subtle).

The tapering in particular distinguishes this building, in my view.

Last edited:
This project is great. The reed pattern on the balconies gives the towers some character and elegance. The positioning of the balcony slabs is unique. The proportions are fine. The materials are sublime--in particular, I like the contextualism of the stone cladding for the podium. aA has done great work.

I'm looking forward to completion here. Once all of the glazing is installed, the mullion caps cover the joins, and the hoarding comes down, we will see if the details match the vision. If they do, these two could wind up as local landmarks.

My favourite vantage point looking at these two towers has to be from College and University Ave. They really have a strong and dominant presence in that area, and once the balcony work is done, I'm sure it will be quite nice.

From yesterday:

P1430954.jpg

P1430963.jpg

P1430965.jpg

P1430967.jpg

P1430969.jpg

P1430974.jpg

P1430977.jpg

Attachments

• P1430954.jpg
    P1430954.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 1,048