Toronto Toronto Western Hospital: Patient Care Tower | 84.14m | 15s | University Health Network | DIALOG

AlbertC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Some info from a RFP post in August 2021:

Addition to a mixed-use development in Toronto, Ontario. Completed plans call for the addition of a 260,000-square-foot, 13-story above grade medical facility; and 40,000-square-foot, two-story below grade parking garage. This RFP is issued for the purpose of soliciting the provision of Construction Management services for the TWH New Patient Tower Pre-construction Investigations project at Toronto Western Hospital (TWH). The work is anticipated to be completed as Phase 1. At the outset, UHN anticipates that the selected Proponent will only be engaged to carry out the Pre-Construction Investigations (Phase 1). UHN does not guarantee that the selected Proponent will be engaged to deliver services of any or all of the progressive phases beyond Phase 1 as referred to in the Appendix A - Scope of Deliverables and Appendix B - Price Exhibit. UHN reserves the right to proceed to subsequent phases (Phase 2A Tender Services and Phase 2B Construction Services) contingent upon receiving approvals, successful completion of the previous Phase(s), availability of funding and Owner's discretion. The tower is targeted to be 13 storeys above grade with each floor roughly 20,000 square feet in gross floor area. The middle of the building will comprise of a mechanical floor and the top floor will also be a mechanical penthouse. There are 2 below grade floors of approximately 40,000 sf in total to serve as parking. There is a potential for an additional 1-2 storeys that could be added to the tower (20,000 sqft per floor). * Award results will be posted on Biddingo website. As of November 09, 2021, no award has been made yet.

UHN: Community Consultation Notice – New Patient Tower at TWH

University Health Network (UHN) and I are invite you to participate in a virtual consultation regarding the upcoming MZO for the development of an urgently needed New Patient Tower at TWH, 399 Bathurst Street. At the meetings you can learn more about the project, ask questions and share comments.

Virtual Meeting #1
Date:
Tuesday March 22, 2022
Time: 6-7:30pm
Where: https://uhn-etms.zoom.us/j/92300617402
*Language services will be available in Cantonese, Mandarin, and Portuguese.

Virtual Meeting #2
Date:
Tuesday March 29, 2022

New Patient Tower

With 21 million patient services – from surgeries to cancer screenings – delayed across Ontario due to the pandemic, alongside aging infrastructure at TWH (parts of the building are 86 years old), UHN is in urgent need to develop a New Patient Tower at its TWH site. The proposed 11-storey (71-metre) state-of-the-art facility, located at Bathurst and Nassau Streets, will feature new Operating Rooms and new inpatient beds.

Click here to View the Community Consultation Notice.

For more information, to provide comments or questions before the online meetings, contact TWHCommunity@uhn.ca or my office.

twh.JPG

View of the current parking lot at Bathurst & Nassau where they plan to build this new addition:

twh2.JPG

Last edited:
Great to erase the surface parking here; a new patient tower is much needed (though not as badly as Scarborough General, but I digress)....

Also interesting to see the Community Notice say 11s; but the initial tendering process was at 13s with the possibility of adding up to 2 more floors.

First question in my mind is did they get all their programming needs into the 11s; second question, is the building to be structurally designed to support adding up to 4s to it in the future?

Also of interest is how they intend to repurpose the existing patient tower.

Last edited:
They should tear down the old Scotiabank building on the corner of Bathurst and Dundas (bottom left) that was being used a COVID assessment centre. This corner is so crowded when you wait for the streetcar, the sidewalk is way too narrow. It should be a nice little plaza with benches and some trees.

Screen Shot 2022-03-18 at 3.14.53 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-18 at 3.19.55 PM.png

It's definitely an attractive little building, but it's just in the wrong place.
They should tear down the old Scotiabank building on the corner of Bathurst and Dundas (bottom left) that was being used a COVID assessment centre. This corner is so crowded when you wait for the streetcar, the sidewalk is way too narrow. It should be a nice little plaza with benches and some trees.

View attachment 386210

View attachment 386211

The problem isn't so much the building being there, it's the excessively wide curb lane on westbound Dundas. It makes this an especially dangerous corner for getting on and off the streetcar.

The problem isn't so much the building being there, it's the excessively wide curb lane on westbound Dundas. It makes this an especially dangerous corner for getting on and off the streetcar.

You made me look:

1647634341378.png

Normally, I would think a curb lane would be 3.3M in Toronto. So it seems about 1M above typical. Assuming you wish to retain the 2 vehicle lanes in addition to the streetcar lane.

But lets add, the lane arrangement is a bit odd. Dundas is 2 lanes inclusive of the streetcar track approaching the intersection, then splits to 3 lanes at the intersection, with a dedicated right-turn lane.

Were the dedicated lane removed (though the remaining lane made a bit wider) one could imagine a net savings closer to 3M; That could allow for an Island Platform for riders, while slightly widening the sidewalk; or
it could go entirely to a very large sidewalk

From Mike Layton's newsletter of late this afternoon:

UHN To Apply for MZO at Toronto Western Hospital Site - Consultation Dates Below​

As shared in my update last week, my office has been made aware of the intention of the University Health Network (UHN) to Apply for a Ministerial Zoning Order (MZO) from the Province on Ontario at the Toronto Western Hospital site at Bathurst and Dundas.

The MZO will allow the hospital to bypass the City Planning process and start construction as soon as possible. I have asked the hospital to take the next 3 weeks consulting with the public before making their formal ask of the province.

You can view the notice here released by UHN here.

Virtual Meeting #1
Date:
Tuesday March 22, 2022

Virtual Meeting #2
Date:
Tuesday March 29, 2022

UHN has shared that there is in urgent need to develop a New Patient Tower at its Toronto Western Hospital site. The proposed 11-storey (71-metre) facility, located at Bathurst and Nassau Streets, will feature new Operating Rooms and new inpatient beds to meet the needs of it's patients.

If you have any feedback you would like to share, or receive a copy of the plans once presence, please do not hesitate to reach out to my office by replying to this message, and/or contacting UHN directly at TWHCommunity@uhn.ca.

Application is up in the AIC.

Architect is Dialog.

1685693290436.png

* MZO is in progress*

Renders followed by stats:

1685693680311.png

1685693726148.png

1685693779131.png

1685693855637.png

1685693903854.png

1685693951428.png

1685694013932.png

1685694050662.png

1685694155032.png

1685694198779.png

1685694241262.png

1685694296685.png

1685693618734.png

Comments: Much needed facility and hard to argue with an MZO here.

Architecture...... I think that material palate and execution will save/bury this. It actually could be quite decent if it turns out like the best of the renders.............

Landscape: My one stickler here is the Bathurst frontage, the entire sidewalk is counted as clearway and is only just over 2.7M, no trees are proposed within the public ROW, though 2 would hug the building/drop-off zone.

If this were a new residential build, the City would not accept a 2.7M sidewalk here. Now, no retail is contemplated at-grade, so in that way, less space can be managed, but almost zero streetscape, no buffer from Bathurst, rather unfortunate. Probably not something that can be re-thought at this stage, given the MZO, as this would require the entire building to be set back a bit further. C'est La Vie.

Transportation: 84 parking spaces, shrug, its a hospital, a 24/7 operation with huge employment levels, but only 32 bike parking spots seems unfortunate.

Last edited:
So that expressive glass atrium (a more recent addition) gone then...?

So that expressive glass atrium (a more recent addition) gone then...?

No, still there. This is 90% on the parking lot in the north-west corner. Only the auditorium is coming down in the atrium containing section.

No, still there. This is 90% on the parking lot in the north-west corner. Only the auditorium is coming down in the atrium containing section.
I see that...and that's very much welcome. But that Doug Ford sized massing seems to be gobbling up all the good bits as well including said atrium...so it's a bit concerning. At least from those rendering angles as picted above.

Application is up in the AIC.

Architect is Dialog.

View attachment 482287

* MZO is in progress*

Renders followed by stats:

View attachment 482289

View attachment 482290

View attachment 482291
View attachment 482292
View attachment 482293

View attachment 482294

View attachment 482295

View attachment 482296

View attachment 482297

View attachment 482298
View attachment 482299
View attachment 482300
View attachment 482288
Comments: Much needed facility and hard to argue with an MZO here.

Architecture...... I think that material palate and execution will save/bury this. It actually could be quite decent if it turns out like the best of the renders.............

Landscape: My one stickler here is the Bathurst frontage, the entire sidewalk is counted as clearway and is only just over 2.7M, no trees are proposed within the public ROW, though 2 would hug the building/drop-off zone.

If this were a new residential build, the City would not accept a 2.7M sidewalk here. Now, no retail is contemplated at-grade, so in that way, less spaces can be managed, but almost zero streetscape, no buffer from Bathurst, rather unfortunate. Probably not something that can be re-thought at this stage, given the MZO, as this would require the entire building to be set back a bit further. C'est La Vie.

Transportation: 84 parking spaces, shrug, its a hospital, a 24/7 operation with huge employment levels, but only 32 bike parking spots seems unfortunate.
If they removed the parking lot in the front, there are alternatives, like the Bathurst Collage underground parking lot across the road, and the small garage east of the hospital.

I don't understand the pillars get up they have there, seems silly.

Back