Toronto Toronto City Hall and Nathan Phillips Square | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | Perkins&Will

Or, for that matter, how insistent some people are in pretending that the Cinderella pumpkin is still a carriage (as per my earlier metaphor)

It's not 2005 anymore, folks. The argument over walkway removal is a dead issue, unless the Fords declare walkway removal to be in the interest of taxpayers *harrumph*

Last edited:
Some (not all) of the walkway's walls will be replaced with glass--this will mitigate the barrier effect. This has been brought up many times in this thread.

I don't really get why only some would be replaced. Makes no sense.

Heritage bow.

In any event, it's the current "pre-modified" state of the walkways that's led to the lingering calls for their removal. If I may be extreme about it, it's no different from *any* so-called eyesore pre-renovation/restoration. You'll find people saying "I don't care if it's heritage--get rid of it"; and that even goes for Victoriana, never mind 60s modern...

Water for the fountains?

A quick walk-through on Saturday afternoon revealed that they've taken up the tiles in various areas across the square -- and it looks like they're starting to run the pipes for the new splash-fountains.

These fountains will be a major addition to the square and should make for some happy kids, families and photographers. Very glad to see progress on this.

2011.03.24 Nathan Phillips Pipes1.jpg

2011.03.24 Nathan Phillips Pipes2.jpg

Attachments

• 2011.03.24 Nathan Phillips Pipes1.jpg
    2011.03.24 Nathan Phillips Pipes1.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 297
  • 2011.03.24 Nathan Phillips Pipes2.jpg
    2011.03.24 Nathan Phillips Pipes2.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 289
Some preliminary work had already been done on the fountains. It looks like they're going to meet the goal of having it ready for this summer.

A repost of the plans of the winning scheme:
http://www.branchplant.com/landscape/agoratheatre.html

What is the sloped area they are building behind the stage? It does not seem at all consistent with the renders, which show the peace garden there on level ground, together with a small new ramp.

Let me pre-apologize for what must be a stupid question, to people who are following this closely.

I don't understand why we need a new fountain here when we have a perfectly functional one just a block west of here on University Ave.

cassius:

Actually there is a set right in the Square, at the ice rink. I think these new ones are meant to work more like splashpads - like those at Dundas Square, keeping kids occupied.

k10:

The plans present at the PLANT website are from the competition scheme, which is somewhat different from what's going to be implemented. Updated renderings from the City website (particularly re: Peace Garden) does show some kind of sloped area.

AoD

Last edited:
cassius:

k10:

The plans present at the PLANT website are from the competition scheme, which is somewhat different from what's going to be implemented. Updated renderings from the City website (particularly re: Peace Garden) does show some kind of sloped area.

AoD

Thanks. It looks like the idea s amphitheatre style seating, covered in grass?

peacegarden.jpg

I don't understand why we need a new fountain here when we have a perfectly functional one just a block west of here on University Ave.

The fountains on University and even the one in NPS, do not allow people to cool off in them. The new splash pad in NPS is specifically for people to interact with, so it serves a very different purpose.

Thanks. It looks like the idea s amphitheatre style seating, covered in grass?

peacegarden.jpg

Oh, so the back end of the stage is actually going to be a tiered garden and not a public seating area, like I thought. I figured it was going to be stairs or a small amphitheatre type seating area but I can see now it's just a sloped garden. It still will be pretty cool from the looks of it.

The stage itself is set for a pour in the next couple of days. Rebar is set:

Photo
The plans on the Plant website have since changed for several elements.

According to Krysten Wong-Tam's staff:

- the Queen Street entrance pavillion will be kept but will be clad in stone and glass identical to the new skating rental building.

- The stage canopy has been altered from the one in the design competition.

- The walkways will be more extensively clad in the same striped glass as the skate rental building.

- stone benches will be coming in to replace the variety of benches now in place. Other furniture such as trash/recycling will also be coming.

- Entrances to the underground parking will be redone. The same striped glass will be brought here which will bring a consistent look to the overall appearance of the square.

Last edited:

Back