Toronto Toronto City Hall and Nathan Phillips Square | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | Perkins&Will

They should convert NCH into condos, build another condo/office building or three on NPS, then move back into OCH. Yes, downsize. What a concept.

See now I never know if you're being sarcastic or not. You encourage voting for Rob Ford in your signature - which is equally as ridiculous as your post - and yet apparently you are serious about that..... so :confused:

there has been quite a bit of progress on the roof so far. new planters and lampposts have been installed and lots of brick has been laid. please excuse the crap quality of these pictures.

4596554993_eb06dc4927.jpg

4596554813_8d0ec5b62f.jpg

What's with the trees

http://www.openfile.ca/toronto-file/nathan-phillips-clearcut#anchor_links

As work progresses on the $42 million revitalization of Nathan Phillips Square, some people are worried about the number of trees being torn down in city hall's front yard.

Daphne Simon, whose office window overlooks the public square, says that a few weeks ago the crews contracted to do the work were painstakingly moving trees to comply with the redesign. They dug under the roots to extricate the trees, and relocated "eight or so" trees from a central green space to the northwest corner of the square.

But Simon noticed on May 11 that workers had started chopping down the remaining trees and feeding them through a wood chipper.

She isn't happy with how quickly the trees started disappearing.

"I just think it is hypocritical because the City of Toronto does not allow you to cut down trees without a permit, and bureaucratic paperwork," she says.

OpenFile is waiting to hear back from city officials about why some trees were moved and others destroyed.

What do you think of the plans to overhaul Nathan Phillips Square?

I'm looking at the area in question. The front lawn is untouched. I think they're talking about the green row running parallel to Osgoode Hall. It's now bare.

As long as the mature trees were saved -- and this seems to be the case, the smaller trees are an acceptable sacrifice considering they would probably not withstand being relocated. This entire area is going to be covered in trees when complete so the intermediate bareness is fine with me.

The green roof is so green that the whole thing almost looks like a render!

Does anybody know if they're going to keep the ramp paved in tarmac or are they going to make it more pedestrian friendly with stones or boardwalk?

Whatever it'll be, it'll be consistent w/whatever they do with the walkways (also presently asphalt-paved)

^Great video, Tv. I'm excited by this project and can't wait to visit it; Toronto is slowly evolving into a truly interesting city.

Holy Crap,

I'm actually in this video with "Mayor in 2022" for a split second. We got our pictures taken with the green people right after these two.

Back