Toronto Toronto City Hall and Nathan Phillips Square | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | Perkins&Will

Totally agree. However, I highly doubt that they'll last 15 years as advertised if they're kept as something that the public can interact with. They're flimsy and noticeably built to be temporary.

Given their popularity, I hope this inspires someone on city council to propose that we build permanent TORONTO letters on that spot. Further spending for the Nathan Phillips Square revitalization is coming up for a vote after the PanAm Games so that'll be a great opportunity to discuss this.
The sign is staying, although maybe not in NPS forever http://www.citynews.ca/2015/07/13/colourful-3d-toronto-sign-to-remain-near-city-hall-for-now/

This was from Sunday. I like the sign buts it's stupid of them to not leave it there and want to move it around. Yea lets spend thousands of our tax dollars to move a sign around...

9iLqCOY.jpg

This was from Sunday. I like the sign buts it's stupid of them to not leave it there and want to move it around. Yea lets spend thousands of our tax dollars to move a sign around...

They should just erect a permanent sign in each location rather than moving it around.

For one, they should put a sign up where travelers (esp. international travalers) disembark/pass through - airports, major highways (Totem versions at QEW, 401, 400, 404), Union Station. That, followed by major tourist oriented public spaces.

AoD

Yeah just build other signs at different places and make them permanent fixtures.

This one won't last though. It's only been there a week and it's already scuffed up with parts of the siding coming undone.
When they quote that the sign "is supposed to last at least 15 years", that sounds very much like language related to the LED lifespan. The sign itself is flimsy and won't last a year, let alone 15.

I do hope that the popularity of the sign inspires them to create a permanent one.

This one won't last though. It's only been there a week and it's already scuffed up with parts of the siding coming undone.
When they quote that the sign "is supposed to last at least 15 years", that sounds very much like language related to the LED lifespan. The sign itself is flimsy and won't last a year, let alone 15.

I do hope that the popularity of the sign inspires them to create a permanent one.

Petition the powers that be - I think the city have hit something here judging by the popularity. It would be a waste not to take advantage of this opportunity to move the brand forward (instead of that loopy TO tourism logo that was promptly forgotten and had no hold on the public).

AoD

And there are always people sitting on them and climbing them, doubt they were meant for 200+ pound people to sit on.

For one, they should put a sign up where travelers (esp. international travalers) disembark/pass through - airports, major highways (Totem versions at QEW, 401, 400, 404), Union Station. That, followed by major tourist oriented public spaces.

AoD

Will the city take hold and use this opportunity to better promote the city or let this chance pass by us? Knowing the politicians at City Hall wouldn't be surprised if they find this to be "gravy".

Will the city take hold and use this opportunity to better promote the city or let this chance pass by us? Knowing the politicians at City Hall wouldn't be surprised if they find this to be "gravy".

Well, the gravy guy who professed to love the city more than anyone has disappeared in his mancave while everyone is enjoying the party. That bodes well.

AoD

Sorry, I'm not surprised by the $100,000 cost for what we got. Anything that large that you would want to last for 15 years (or longer) would have cost 10 times that amount. Like anything, you're not just paying for materials when you get public art, you're paying for design and for manufacturing too. It adds up quickly, and for something that has seven three-metre high letters and which is able to withstand some average adults climbing and reclining on it—and which doesn't short out when it rains—$100,000 seems about right. Put a foot in the wrong place though, and you'll get scuffs and worse.

The question will be whether it makes sense to just replace this sign with a similar one (no design cost) next time, and the time after that, and the time after that, or whether to spend a ton more to get something "permanent". The average piece of public art in this City is built to last forever, and costs like it is.

My take is that if they are going to allow people to climb on it, that the structure should be beefy enough to handle it without collapsing, but that the surface should be somewhat cleanable but ultimately easily replaceable as you never know who is going to mark it up in what ways with their shoes, boots, etc. It's always going to get marked up, and sometimes in a way that's not possible to clean. The average person is not going to wreck the letters, but not everybody is average.

I wonder if UrbanToronto should start a GoFundMe account to build a more sturdy and permanent version of the sign. The flimsy one can travel until it falls apart, and a more permanent version can be installed somewhere like NPS.

I imagine the city would be more than willing to chip in some more money towards the cost if interest is strong, plus it would be good publicity for UT!

As much as I love this sign it was a bad idea putting it at ground level. Should have been elevated somewhere to help deter people messing with it.

On a vaguely related topic a section of the luminous veil is also no longer worker :(

Back