Toronto The Uptown Residences | ?m | 48s | Pemberton | Burka

Any chance it'll look anything like this?

uptowninspiration.jpg

please, please, please.

I have a feeling it'll end up being way to white or concrete-gray and even after weathering and pollution grime set in.

June 12

Looking north. The pit is so deep that the crane operators cab is not very far above ground level.
2578120839_094da95d38_b.jpg

Looking down at the Crystal Blu crane foundation prep work.
2578120847_89085a7ab8_b.jpg

They are drying out the area by pumping out the water to make it more stable for construction to begin. They drilled down over 30 feet.
2578120859_1fb1b6245c_b.jpg

One contractor dug the pit, now two separate contractors will build the two towers. The blue portable washroom on the right is about where the dividing line between Uptown to the north/far side and Crystal Blu towards the south side/bottom of the picture.
2578120873_1479dca825_b.jpg

From Charles St and Yonge the crane appears to be barely above ground level. Looking west towards the Manulife Centre.
2578120885_1e4c6eccb0_b.jpg

Originally Posted by Ed007Toronto
They can't do this in New York anymore. Zero chance they can do it here.
How come?

Values, High Cost, Lack of Materials, Building restrictions (by-laws, air conditioning systems, ceiling heights, podium requirements, etc)

and New York is even more lenient as far as building codes go, they dont require balconies.

however, Robert Stern is still building buildings like that one, but everybody (at least on this forum) seems to hate him for doing so

Labour costs? Timeline expectations? Building codes? Above building probably has zero insulation and leaks air like a screen?

I think you can make a building look the same as above; minus the aging, and still have the building up to code.

It'll all come down to materials. Judging by the model, Uptown looks great in my opinion, but it could be ruined by crappy precast or that jazz. I'm sure they wouldn't use stone for the entire building, but a stone base with well matched precast (like 1 St. Thomas) would look really nice. Perhaps a little less white though.

Values, High Cost, Lack of Materials, Building restrictions (by-laws, air conditioning systems, ceiling heights, podium requirements, etc)

and New York is even more lenient as far as building codes go, they dont require balconies.

however, Robert Stern is still building buildings like that one, but everybody (at least on this forum) seems to hate him for doing so
I have yet to see this mysterious Toronto by-law that requires balconies.

Considering that I've lived in several condos without balconies (both in fairly new buildings), I doubt that there is such a bylaw either. Besides, I doubt that every single condo dweller in Toronto even wants a balcony. Pet-owners, for example, might not want to risk having their pets fall from a balcony railing 30 storeys up.

Balconies are a selling feature. Most buyers want a balcony therefore it's easier to sell units with them. Plus, balconies are considered an amenity area and counted towards the total amount that must be provided.

Balconies are a selling feature. Most buyers want a balcony therefore it's easier to sell units with them. Plus, balconies are considered an amenity area and counted towards the total amount that must be provided.

Solarium's were all the rage in the 80's and 90's, however balconies have made a strong comeback in the last decade. I wouldn't want to be without a balcony or terrace, I spend a lot of time on the one's I've had, but that's a personal preference. They also come in handy as a place to send smoker friends out to puff their lungs out.

Back