Toronto The Uptown Residences | ?m | 48s | Pemberton | Burka

The model looks great... a handsome well-proportioned building. But you just know they won't get it right.

The good thing about all this scepticism is that if it turns out to be half decent we'll all be pleasantly surprised.

I'm still surprised that this one is actually going ahead after the slow initial sales. A tall slender tower will be a nice contrast to the broad massing of manulife. Overall I quite like the shape and design and I think it will be a nice addition to the Bloor skyline. But I agree that ultimate success of the building will be in the details and how it meets the street.

Pemberton, for the first time with one of their projects (I think), is charging scads of money to buy in, so Uptown will be seen as a real test for them. If they cheap out on this project, their reputation (which they are trying to improve) will be seriously harmed. People who are paying $600+ per square foot here will not go quietly if Pemberton screws them.

A tall slender tower will be a nice contrast to the broad massing of manulife.

I don't know what the floorplate is... but towards the base it does seem rather heavy.

But I agree that ultimate success of the building will be in the details and how it meets the street.

I believe the 6 floor base will have black granite facing Bulmato street (the back and sides obviously won't be granite).

There seems to be a neo-deco design style spreading in the midtown area. I guess it's one that says luxe to people. I don't mind it, and it does offer a contrasting feel to the boxes of the cbd.

Nice to see a building that's not all glass

Bring on some art deco, I'm so tired of glass boxes. I wanna see some curves and stone or marbe.

The front 7 stories of the building will have the granite face as well as the sides up until the above ground parking (Front quarter of the sides), and they prepping the parking lot up now so digging can commence. There will be a ground breaking event party later this month...

Construction Pictures

Click below to view construction pics of UR.

http://www.emporis.com/en/il/im/?id=533313

They do not have similar pics for Crystal Blu..hmmm.

Buildings, buildings everywhere. Toronto has a long way to go to be like other world cities in terms of building density and architecture so hopefully they do this right cuz this is for the long term. At least Pemberton is trying but they have to execute or else it would leave a bad mark for them, the neighborhood and the city.

btw, the guy from simplycondos.com does not like this development since it does not compare to the other ultra-luxury developments he likes. Well, in the first place most condo developments are over using the term "luxury" as a selling point so don't take their word for it. Just basing it on the maintenance fees which is way below the >75 cents/sf you pay for the ultra-luxury, it is in a different league.

Bring on some art deco, I'm so tired of glass boxes. I wanna see some curves and stone or marbe.

All these glass boxes will one day be looked down upon like the 70 slabs do today.Uptown reminds me of a taller Stern building.Hope it turns out as good.

walking around the site today i did some math:

And discovered that area alone could handle another 30+ highrises!

ie the area from victoria college to yonge st and from charles st north to (north side) bloor st w.

We know Pemberton will screw the place up; it is bound to look cheap and second rate. Basically a taller version of the BSN with fake deco touches. Ugh.

Well, in the first place most condo developments are over using the term "luxury" as a selling point so don't take their word for it.

RezBoy,

Most projects use "luxury" in their marketing - that doesn't mean it is a luxury project. Projects targeting first time home buyers in their mid to late 20s use the term luxury.

As a market barometer to measure what is luxury and what isn't most buyers and industry analysts look at the price per square foot.

The Uptown is in borderline luxury territory. Pemberton has had a difficult time selling this project as the high price per square foot is not well reflected in the standard features. I've checked out the model suite and a buyer isn't getting much more out of this so called luxury project as they would in a much more competitively priced project. If you are looking for value on Bulmato - Crystal Blu is just as luxurious and more competitively priced (with 10 foot ceilings in every suite as well).

Back