Oakville The Shores | ?m | 10s | Fernbrook Homes | P + S / IBI

Wow, yet another example of our disdain for the built heritage. I'm happy a couple of buildings are being saved, no question, but in relation to the number that are being lost it feels a little meagre. This is so typical of Ontario though, where apparantly we have such a wealth of heritage architecture that we can destroy it with abandon at almost every turn. There oughta be a law!

The special agent 'preview' sales event for this project was held on Thursday, Aug 21...it should be interesting to find out how they did...briefly saw a pricelist - Very Pricey...looked like about $600.00/sq ft and up, with the south-facing units having a hefty premium over the north-facing ones...some of the penthouses were offered at over $2 million...and this is in far west Oakville, just on the border with Burlington.....:eek:

Nice looking project, though!

from today's Daily Commercial News....

CONDOMINIUM BUILDING Proj: 9099254-4

Oakville, Halton Reg ON NEGOTIATED/PLANS COMPLETE

The Shores, 11 Bronte Rd, Jones St, Ontario St, L6L 3B6

$33,800,000 est

Start: October, 2009 Complete: June, 2011

Note: Working drawings are complete. Construction Manager is seeking building permits. Construction is expected to begin late September/early October 2009. Sub Trades will be awarded from an Invited list. Further update October 2009.
This is a joint venture project between Cityzen Development Group and Fernbrook Homes.
Project: concrete foundation, cast-in-place concrete structural frame, fuel fired heating system, proposed construction of a condominium apartment building with 200 units and nine townhouse units in an adjacent structure. The Condominium building will have retail amenity space at grade level.
Scope: 300,000 square feet; 10 storeys; 2 storeys below grade; 2 structures; 209 units; parking for 300 cars; 5 acres
Development: New
Category: Apartment bldgs; Retail, wholesale services

It turns out that this is a Page + Steele design, headed up by principal Sol Wassermuhl, whose name is only trotted out on their marquee projects, like MuseumHouse and the Prince Arthur Condominiums, two very different projects. I am really glad to see this one going up despite it being 'out-of-the-way' in the Bronte Harbour area of Oakville (and I cannot comment on what is being removed to put this building in: I do not know the existing buildings at all) as for me this is the most beautiful condo design in the whole GTA at the moment. I know that's a bit hyperbolic, but for me The Shores' design outshines the proposed Ãce Towers, Pier 27, and even Marilyn and her partner in Mississauga. It shows what you can do with ten floors in a littoral setting with its broad, horizontal terraced upper floors, which embrace the sky and lake views, while the many staggered verticals of the lower section reflect the clustered masts of sailboats in the harbour just offshore, and the whole following a sweeping curve of the 'coastline'.

Lets hope the materials chosen to clad this building are top notch. I'm looking forward to this one...

PS - It's just hit me: two of the other 3 projects I have just listed are also Fernbrook/Cityzen, namely Pier 27 and Absolute World, a.k.a Marilyn. They are also in on the L Tower. If you can forgive F/C their past (the original Absolute towers as an example, and the current Aria project in North Yuck) then you have to give F/C credit as being the most architecturally progressive developer in the GTA (with runners-up Lanterra and Context). Good for them. (Here's hoping that Pier 27 starts sometime soon, and that the (mostly parking?) issues get worked out over at Yonge and Esplanade so that project is not held up forever.) Anyway, F/C need to finish Marilyn, Waterlink at Pier 27, and the The Shores in such a way as to show that these designs are not just flash, but that they are also a quality builder: Fernbrook did not do well in the low-rise category for GTA builders as ranked by J.D. Power in 2008...

Daily Commercial News

Looks like this will start construction soon ~

CONDOMINIUM BUILDING
Proj: 9099254-5
Oakville, Halton Reg ON
NEGOTIATED/PLANS COMPLETE
The Shores, 11 Bronte Rd, Jones St, Ontario St, L6L 3B6
$33,800,000 est

Start: November, 2009

Complete: June, 2011

Note: Const Mgr is seeking Municipal Council building permit approvals. Sub trades will be awarded sequentially from a Roster list. All Major trades are expected to be secured Summer, 2010. Further update early 2010.
This is a joint venture project between Cityzen Development Group and Fernbrook Homes.

Project: concrete foundation, cast-in-place concrete structural frame, fuel fired heating system, proposed construction of a condominium apartment building with 200 units and nine townhouse units in an adjacent structure. The Condominium building will have retail amenity space at grade level.

Scope: 300,000 square feet; 10 storeys; 2 storeys below grade; 2 structures; 209 units; parking for 300 cars; 5 acres

Development: New

Category: Apartment bldgs; Retail, wholesale services

First report Tue Apr 14, 2009. Last report Tue Sep 01, 2009.
This report Mon Oct 05, 2009.

http://www.dailycommercialnews.com/cgi-bin/top10.pl?rm=show_top10_project&id=fb5fd9a5141e905de5251474c9e5c93fb3ce8ef8&projectid=9099254&region=ontario

Cityzen...any update on this one? - is it underway? A fine looking project for sure.....:)

Construction is indeed underway....couple of pics from today....

shores004.jpg

shores002.jpg

Some shots from Sunday:

The Shores sales pavilion:

ShoresSales.jpg

A render of the site from the air, in the sales office:

ShoresAerialRender.jpg

Shots from around the model, starting with the view from the southwest:

ShoresModelSW.jpg

You can see the two original structures that will be restored and repurposed.

ShoresModelSSW.jpg

ShoresModelS.jpg

ShoresModelSE.jpg

Vehicular access will be on the north side of the building.

ShoresModelNE.jpg

Large terrraces are largest on the north point of the building.

ShoresModelN.jpg

ShoresModelW.jpg

This is the same corner as the model shot above, with Stoneboats Restaurant where the blank triangle of land appears in the foreground of the model.

ShoresWpano.jpg

The sales pavilion's site will eventually be part of The Shores' garden area.

ShoresSWpano.jpg

The two buildings on site which were saved. The samller one to the left may become a commercial unit, while the old Glenvilla Inn on the right will become two townhomes.

ShoresSpano.jpg

ShoresSEpano.jpg

Concrete is being poured for the garage floors.

ShoresNEpano.jpg

ShoresN.jpg

ShoresNWpano.jpg

Across the road from The Shores is Bronte Harbour.

ShoresBronteHarbour.jpg

Another harbour south of the site will make up the view for south-facing units.

ShoresHarbour1.jpg

ShoresHarbour2.jpg

from today.....quite a bit of progress since the summer......

5371241327_0fed8ae07d_b.jpg

5371241119_c94b29e2bb_b.jpg

Back