Toronto The Quay, Tower Three (was Maple Leaf Quay) | 66.44m | 21s | Pacific Reach | BDP Quadrangle

I don't see a building here worth obscuring the paired view of the CN Tower and Dome. I find it strange that most of the complaints on the site are about uninspired architecture, but folks in this thread are ready to toss up a big slab on the waterfront. At the same time, I don't necessarily see opposition here as Nimbyism - not when the proverbial "backyard" in question is the city's calling card.

One of the pics from the supporting docs:

MLeafQIslN1280.jpg

It's the white building to the left of the SkyDome.

Skyline-wise, this strikes me as a non-issue.

Attachments

• MLeafQIslN1280.jpg
    MLeafQIslN1280.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 537
Members of the T.O-East York Community council had a lot to say about this proposal, which they will oppose at the OMB.

Joe Cressy: said that it would be a literal waterfront wall - block lake views for some, CN Tower for others

KWT: "it's completely unacceptable for a highrise addition to be placed in front of another tall tower. I would think if we lose on this particular appeal at the OMB then there is just really no hope for us in the city of Toronto. This is just outrageous."

Josh Matlow: "The Toronto Star wrote a brilliant, brilliant 3-part series on how the OMB adversely affects our neighbourhoods and our city's ability to plan within the context of how how to plan a great city and communities rather than just where to stick condos. If we had the power to be able to plan our communities, we would simply tell the developer Forget about it, go back to the drawing board & come back when you've got something that's reasonable rather than wasting time, energy, money and worrying the community and then end up with the dearth of infrastructure and social services to support these growing communities. It is just absurd that we go through this exercise. The OMB needs to either be completely disentangled from Toronto or so significantly reformed that the tools are put back into the box of the city rather than unelected, unaccountable and completely anti-democratic body.

Members of the T.O-East York Community council had a lot to say about this proposal, which they will oppose at the OMB.

Joe Cressy: said that it would be a literal waterfront wall - block lake views for some, CN Tower for others

KWT: "it's completely unacceptable for a highrise addition to be placed in front of another tall tower. I would think if we lose on this particular appeal at the OMB then there is just really no hope for us in the city of Toronto. This is just outrageous."

Give me a break. Literally every building that goes up in this city goes up in front of something else. What a stupid argument. The city is going to lose at the OMB if this is all they've got.

I'm trying to think who's view of the CN Tower this will block? The people in 390 QQ?

I'm trying to think who's view of the CN Tower this will block? The people in 390 QQ?

What about all the people who visit the area, who walk and cycle on Queens Quay? The waterfront is not just about condo residents. Not that it matters much at this point, because for the most part the buildings all across our shoreline are already a complete and utter architectural failure.

What about all the people who visit the area, who walk and cycle on Queens Quay? The waterfront is not just about condo residents. Not that it matters much at this point, because for the most part the buildings all across our shoreline are already a complete and utter architectural failure.
While cycling by this complex, from my POV the new building should improve the view to the north, not detract from it. The current state of affairs between the two towers is fairly miserable, and it needs the jolt of new life.

^ Agree. S0 this is what the hysteria is about? Losing this view of a couple Cityplace condos? Give me a break. The building is setback from Queen's Quay and doesn't detract from anything. "Literal waterfront wall", what hyperbole.
Untitled by

Is the OMB hearing for everything or just the tower ? They also want to extend the existing towers closer to the gardiner,

I'm guessing it's for the whole thing - the other towers extension is basically adding a few units to the northern edge of each tower.

I'm guessing it's for the whole thing - the other towers extension is basically adding a few units to the northern edge of each tower.

And also Laundry facilities for each floor. Dunno what would happen to existing facilties - 350 has windows and could be converted to office space, 390 has no windows and faces the parkade. Also, was told last year by a business owner in the low rise they signed a 5 year lease with no buyout mentioned for the new tower.

Back