Toronto The Quay, Tower Three (was Maple Leaf Quay) | 66.44m | 21s | Pacific Reach | BDP Quadrangle

I don't quite remember what they look like before, but I love the red accents on these towers. I remember seeing them get put in last August/September, which was the first time I really noticed these buildings.
18285758469_7f012d428c_h.jpg

18284218680_153c72546f_h.jpg

I don't quite remember what they look like before, but I love the red accents on these towers. I remember seeing them get put in last August/September, which was the first time I really noticed these buildings.
Google Streetview is always a good way to go back in time and see what things looked like "before'....

Yeah, I just saw a subway poster advertising apartments in the complex. The tagline was something like "The Quay to everything", which I think will prove confusing to the many people who don't pronounce Quay = key.

I took this on the subway a few days ago. Forgot about it until I saw the above posts.

TheQUAY.png

Attachments

• TheQUAY.png
    TheQUAY.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 933
Unfortunately, this proposal includes a 30 storey slab wall built in front of the dome and CN Tower.

Say goodbye to our iconic Toronto skyline if the OMB approves.

The new slab tower and massive expansion of the existing slab towers are not improvements.

It only blocks part of the view right?

The main empty parking lot east of Maple Leaf Quay is planned as a park, from what I remember.

Unfortunately, this proposal includes a 30 storey slab wall built in front of the dome and CN Tower.

The new slab tower and massive expansion of the existing slab towers are not improvements.
…which is your way of telling us that this is heading to the OMB. Thanks for the heads up! Pre-hearing is Feb 22.

And yeah, the "iconic view" won't be compromised at all.

The skyline is ever changing. Imagine if the Canada Life weather beacon was determined iconic 75 years ago. We'd have no downtown. Change is always there...we just have to get use to it.

The skyline is ever changing. Imagine if the Canada Life weather beacon was determined iconic 75 years ago. We'd have no downtown. Change is always there...we just have to get use to it.

Agreed! Imagine if the magnificent Commerce Court North's height had been deemed sacrosanct b/c it was the tallest building in the entire British Empire at the time, downtown Toronto would have looked very differently.

The City of Cleveland once refused to allow any building to be taller than its truly iconic Terminal Tower which was constructed in the 1920s. Finally, armed with Pelli's classy proposal a local bank convinced City Hall to scrap its restriction (or they'll relocate) which is how Cleveland now has the tallest structure btw NYC and Chicago. Previous to this exception, BP America built its granite-clad, former HQ building to exactly the height of Terminal Tower, and it resembles a giant tombstone next to Terminal Tower. And at least two more skyscrapers proposals could not convince City Hall to budge and so they didn't build and keep/relocate their HQs downtown, so Cleveland missed out. But by the time Pelli's building was done, the local economy pretty much fell apart with ~35 Fortune 500s having left (now only ~5 F500s though the City is experiencing a renaissance of sorts) which pretty much gutted demand for downtown office and retail spaces.

Not sure if we'll see the construction of buildings higher than the CN Tower. They already exist in Asia. Would be nice to see some of that locally. If the Trump administration triggers an exodus of sorts, who knows.

Who cares? It's called progress. I sincerely hope that every skyline view of Toronto is gone in 10 years and replaced with something new.

Back