Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

I don't think we know the exact properties yet but $300M was reportedly spent. The only ones I've seen confirmed are Stollery's and the former FCUK store which is also owned by Stollery's.

I don't think we know the exact properties yet but $300M was reportedly spent. The only ones I've seen confirmed are Stollery's and the former FCUK store which is also owned by Stollery's.

The building housing Hue's Kitchen, 774 Yonge Street, has been sold as well.

Whether all the buildings are worth razing or not is dependent on what they are proposing to replace them with. Hard to make a judgement call without knowing what we're getting in return.

AoD

Whether all the buildings are worth razing or not is dependent on what they are proposing to replace them with. Hard to make a judgement call without knowing what we're getting in return.

AoD

true, but it is really hard to imagine anything worse the lechateau being proposed, LOL. How did that even happen.

You've got to love Urban Toronto. Here we have the possibility of a very tall, iconic building that might very well be even better than One Bloor East across the street, and people are already whining about how they would prefer smaller, less ambitious projects at the corner of Bloor and Yonge.

haha. There will always be people who prefer Toronto remaining a village kind of city, even at Yonge/Bloor. That's their right but the city will be moving forward nevertheless. Nobody is gonna spend $300M and build a few three story narrow houses on top of two subway lines.

The fact is, Toronto doesn't lack small and narrow buildings - in fact, they are everywhere, on Yonge, Dundas, Queen, Spadina, even King west. But we do need more buildings that stand out, outside the Financial district that says it is Toronto - the financial centre of Canada. It is not all about vanity and ego. Cities need to make bold visual statement. There is nothing wrong with that as long as they make economic sense.

I only want more massive projects like this happen outside the Yonge/University corridor, on the east and west side of downtown and keep some sort of balance.

AoD

If we're just gonna get a plain wall of glass in return, then I'd much prefer the existing buildings. At least the facades have some variety.

Screen shot 2014-11-19 at 3.33.35 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen shot 2014-11-19 at 3.33.35 PM.png
    Screen shot 2014-11-19 at 3.33.35 PM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,165
If we're just gonna get a plain wall of glass in return, then I'd much prefer the existing buildings. At least the facades have some variety.

I am confident in the ability of Foster and Partners to generate something memorable and of high quality, but there is really no need to rush to any decisions until we see the plan.

AoD

764 used to be the old entrance to the Uptown Theatre right? I'd like to think that will stay

I know it's early, but I would like if they could retain the worthwhile facades (764, 774, and the Burgundy's building) and consolidate them one beside the other somewhere on the site. It would help to maintain some of the finer grain "feel" of Yonge, while allowing Foster a large enough space to create something new and memorable.

I know it's early, but I would like if they could retain the worthwhile facades (764, 774, and the Burgundy's building) and consolidate them one beside the other somewhere on the site. It would help to maintain some of the finer grain "feel" of Yonge, while allowing Foster a large enough space to create something new and memorable.

One can hope:

4ukhNgBzU-YL7RCbG717ghqEhfzgceRN3OgoC_qNKkLU8kIFBQWpvRbHPdVqZJmrxawfz8LgFmdGSr-WE2DjS6QVME85KV-AN-fhMFQiHA=w485-h303-nc

Back