Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

Interesting to see that roughly 50% of the parking spaces will only fit sedans. The auto market is quickly moving to SUVs so that may be a problem in a few years.
Any idea how the valet could handle a large number of tenants wanting their car to go to work and when they all return from work? I can see that being a nightmare.

Part 1 of 2 taken on November 5, 2023:

Bay and Cumberland:

IMG_0799.jpeg

Balmuto Side:

IMG_0802.jpeg

Back Alley:

IMG_0803.jpeg
IMG_0804.jpeg

Bloor Side:

IMG_0806.jpeg
IMG_0811.jpeg
IMG_0813.jpeg

IMG_0800.jpeg
IMG_0801.jpeg
IMG_0805.jpeg
IMG_0807.jpeg
IMG_0808.jpeg
IMG_0809.jpeg
IMG_0810.jpeg
IMG_0812.jpeg

...it's pretty silly that Apple dropped this retail space, IMO. Impatience rarely equates to smart choices.

I don't know why they ever wanted to be at that corner anyway?

Yonge and Bloor is a pretty trashy intersection. Nearly as bad as Yonge & Dundas.

It's always been 'The Center of Toronto' but only in name or geography. There's certainly nothing desirable about it. Other than maybe that's where two TTC lines intersect.

There are much nicer intersections in Toronto to locate a flagship store for the biggest brand in the world. Heck even Bay and Bloor would be nicer.

On the contrary - I expect Apple was being enormously patient with the process - that patience simply ran out around the same time as their confidence in Mizrahi and co. began to unravel. I sure can't blame Fruitco for backing out after years of slipped deadlines and back-channel chatter about shaky finances. Apple's in the game for the money after all, not idle speculation over one possible location for one of their dozens of flagship stores.

Still, it will be interesting to see who eventually takes on that cavernous ground floor space; I can't imagine who it will be.

On the contrary - I expect Apple was being enormously patient with the process - that patience simply ran out around the same time as their confidence in Mizrahi and co. began to unravel. I sure can't blame Fruitco for backing out after years of slipped deadlines and back-channel chatter about shaky finances. Apple's in the game for the money after all, not idle speculation over one possible location for one of their dozens of flagship stores.

Still, it will be interesting to see who eventually takes on that cavernous ground floor space; I can't imagine who it will be.

I agree but if we assume that they are still looking at building a flagship store in Toronto, what other site at the same state of readiness and suitability can be found?

I agree but if we assume that they are still looking at building a flagship store in Toronto, what other site at the same state of readiness and suitability can be found?
Dunno... that's content for another, separate thread, I'd say. I'm just interested in seeing this project top out.

I'm not even sure losing patience is the right description. Apple had a deal that wasn't being delivered on, so they canceled it. That says nothing about whether they still want the space and will come to a new deal. That said, Mizrahi (or his new overseers) obviously can't just come out and say that it's still Apple because their only bargaining power comes if they have another prospect.

I wouldn't equate that to enormously patient...or they would of been still planning to move in. So they may have had some patience to a point, but it wasn't unlimited, even generously...

...because at the the end of the day, they'll still would have a retail space to go to despite all the financing shenanigans here. And they won't be making more money with no move in planned and with no other alternative to set up shop in that area. So it's their loss.

I wouldn't equate that to enormously patient...or they would of been still planning to move in. So they may have had some patience to a point, but it wasn't unlimited, even generously...

...because at the the end of the day, they'll still would have a retail space to go to despite all the financing shenanigans here. And they won't be making more money with no move in planned and with no other alternative to set up shop in that area. So it's their loss.
Nope - it's Mizrahi's loss. Need I remind you that Apple is a zillion dollar company? They have plenty of options. Their retail fortunes are hardly reliant on a single potential location in a single city in the North American market. The way I expect it went, Apple was willing to go along with their original plans until it became apparent that it would be foolish to passively stick around. But to evandyk's point, this withdrawal may also amount to a calculated bargaining chip on Apple's part. I guess we'll see.

As it stands, the loss of prestige from having Apple pull out is no small thing. Having said that, I want to see this building get finished.

It's just kind of annoying that Apple would pull out of this space after it was specifically designed for them.

This is a loss for both Mizrahi, and Apple. It's doubtful that Apple will find a venue as suitable as The One anytime soon. The loss to Mizrahi is obvious. However, we can't say how much potential lost business either enterprise will suffer.

Back