Toronto The Livmore | 138.68m | 43s | Vertica | IBI Group

Thanks for posting that-- I've marked it down and will most likely attend. I'm still not sure how to find where they list off these upcoming meetings but I'd like to start going to them fairly regularly. :)

Turns out that I will now be available on Monday night to check out this meeting. Really excited for 43 Gerrard, one of my fav projects in the pipeline. I'm getting a good vibe based on the elevation drawings. RAW Design has been on a roll lately, putting together a solid portfolio.

Looking forward to your report Travis, I have guarded hopes for this building too but I can't make the meeting that night. It's good to finally see new rentals going up downtown.

Sorry folks, but I really won't be able to attend the meeting after all. My work plans just changed last week. I have a lot of important deadlines to meet tomorrow night.

Hopefully more people can attend, here's the info again:

Community meeting on Monday, November 28, 2011. 6-7 pm Open House, 7-9 pm community meeting. City Hall, 100 Queen West, Committee Room Two.

Last edited:
I'll be there.

I did. The initial concept has some good elements. It incorporates living walls along the Gerrard street frontage, between retail entrances. It also includes a mid-block pedestrian connection on the east side of the property, adjacent to the Delta. The 5 storey podium will include an outdoor amenity space on its roof, with trees and other vegetation. However, I expressed several concerns I have with respect to the building not conforming to the recommendations of the Tall Buildings Study - specifically with respect to floor plate dimensions, overall height, and separation distance between it and the Delta. I have remained in contact with the consultant, representing the developer, and have arranged for further discussion on these matters once they have had an opportunity to consider all comments.

Any pics, guys? I ended up being unable to attend, to my disappointment.

I expressed several concerns I have with respect to the building not conforming to the recommendations of the Tall Buildings Study - specifically with respect to floor plate dimensions, overall height, and separation distance between it and the Delta.

What possible concerns could you have about height? This is 150 metres on Bay Street, just half a block from Aura and ROCP I & II.

The 5 storey podium will include an outdoor amenity space on its roof, with trees and other vegetation. However, I expressed several concerns I have with respect to the building not conforming to the recommendations of the Tall Buildings Study - specifically with respect to floor plate dimensions, overall height, and separation distance between it and the Delta.

Thanks for this, skorji. Considering the Delta has a blind wall on that side, is separation distance a concern? My concern is actually traffic; Gerrard and Bay is extremely busy during rush hour.

What possible concerns could you have about height? This is 150 metres on Bay Street, just half a block from Aura and ROCP I & II.

yeah, exactly; once again, given that it is so close to the subway lines (Yonge & University) along with the fact that it is in downtown, what exactly is the concern regarding height? are we just blindly assuming that the Tall Buildings study is the bible of how all developments in the core should take place? The shadowing concern should only be valid for a few areas like Queen's Park, NP Square/City Hall, etc. Why can't we have tall buildings (50+ storeys) on Bay north of City Hall? If there are too many restrictions on height, it may not be profitable for developers to build, which could potentially lead to parking lots and other such sites to lie empty/vacant for a while. There is still too much conservatism regarding height in Toronto. The design of buildings, including how it meets the street(s), would need to be good, of course, like the St. Joseph's development. We should be pushing for developments like that, as much as possible. It's a win-win.

I am not opposed to this proposal at this point, but the intensification this neighbourhood has seen in the past 5 years has been considerable, and it is accelerating. There has been no infrastructure change whatsoever to support it, such as improving subway access/stations, widening sidewalks, and better managing car traffic (though there is a limit to how important the subway really is for area residents: I and many others walk to work; that's partly why we live here after all). This increase in density also raises quality of life issues at some point, but those don't seem to be taken seriously.

Wider sidewalks would be great, particularly along the busiest streets. Redevelopment is a perfect time to increase/improve pedestrian access.

Back