Toronto The Jasper | 23.25m | 7s | 211 Gerrard East Inc | COMN Architects

artyboy123

Member Bio
Reaction score
Rezoning:

Proposed mixed-use development with a height of 23.3 metres and 39 rental residential units.

rumor to be determined!

Quote from @Northern Light Analysis

211 Gerrard is the door on the left in the image below:

1695320518871.png

23M puts it some where in the 8-9 storey range; that has to be part of a larger assembly. I don't see them getting that height on that tiny footprint.

AIC Link for this is in:

I indicated this had to be more than 211 Gerrard East and indeed it is, its 211-219 Gerrard East The building I showed above, which had no visible address appeared to be 211 but is apparently 209.

Site Footprint:

1697849416434.png

Streetview:

1697849509875.png

From the Docs:

Architect is COMN

Height: 7s

1697849614306.png

Ground Floor Plan:
1697849678524.png

1697849643291.png

Comments:

Overall scale good; brick is nice

Streetscape is unacceptable, no trees on Gerrard, sidewalk encroached overhang

Not sure why the massing is profiled the way it is, the notch on the 4th floor looks silly, the balconies don't add high value in this form, no reason I can see the 5th floor should be that setback, I'm wondering if this is a shadow issue on Allan Gardens.

The setback on the 7th floor just looks goofy.

Right idea, needs refinement.

Great to see talented private residential design firms step into mixed use. Too often this city’s architectural talent is pushed into practicing only single family. Good to see developers start to work with firms like COMN, StudioAC, Batay-Csorba and others that started in the private residential space. This only means good things for the future of architecture in this city.

I like that this proposal has a seamless streetscape with the adjacent property to the west and uses similar materials. Far too often the ground level design is out of synch with the surrounding streetscape.

Small footprint, would make more sense to assemble with the adjacent 3 buildings to maximize potential across the entire lot

I like this proposal. I also think that the scale of this project is perfect for many streets in Toronto. I'm a big fan of looking at the very tall buildings and how impressive they look . However I never want to live in a very tall and I do not think I'm alone on this.thinking.

211-219 Gerrard St E - Community Consultation Meeting

Tuesday, December 19, 2023 6:00 PM - 7:30 PM
(UTC-05:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)

Agenda

City staff invite you to join a Community Consultation Meeting for 211-219 Gerrard Street East for a Zoning By-law Amendment application to permit the development of a 7-storey mixed-use building containing 39 rental dwelling units.

211-219 Gerrard St E - Community Consultation Meeting

Tuesday, December 19, 2023 6:00 PM - 7:30 PM
(UTC-05:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)

Agenda

City staff invite you to join a Community Consultation Meeting for 211-219 Gerrard Street East for a Zoning By-law Amendment application to permit the development of a 7-storey mixed-use building containing 39 rental dwelling units.
Hmmm... "In response to the City of Toronto's push towards transit-oriented development and housing inclusivity, the owners intend to offer a portion of the 39 units as affordable housing."

As far as the story count go @HousingNowTO....I think they can probably get by asking the city for up to 10-13 storeys...7 storeys is too small given the growing demand this area is facing.

As far as the story count go @HousingNowTO....I think they can probably get by asking the city for up to 10-13 storeys...7 storeys is too small given the growing demand this area is facing.
Majority of the public callers all asked "Can this please be bigger..?" during the WebEx meeting last-night.

Developer sounded somewhat skittish about that idea because of what an ugly, drawn-out NIMBY slog there was on the neighbouring BEER STORE site.

Our volunteers' advice was to - 1.) Grow the project at least 2x size, 2.) Keep the Rental & Affordable-Rental Ratios -- and 3.) Ask the City & Province for an unappealable CIHA order -

Back